[U2XMP] COG CITY

Discussions about everything else
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

[U2XMP] COG CITY

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

As I posted on BUF:

COGCity WIP
Here is my conversion from the leaked build of Unreal Warfare of early 2003. I initially converted all the staticmeshes one by one by the brush conversion method however I recently found out that there is a t3d staticmesh exporter in ucc so I used that instead now and myleveled everything. Though for some reason the sign staticmeshes got corrupted so here are the ones that I converted initially:

FixedSigns

They are not placed in the map, instead the map uses the invisible versions of those signs. Since this is unfinished and I don't have time to finish it due to IRL situation, you are free to finish it after me and make it a real XMP map but the actual conversion has been done. There are only blue deploypoint now on the map, no energy sources and no recharge stations (despite the original warfare map at least having some ammo depots but I didn't update that in t3d), I did compile few warfare system packages for xmp and I hope this map doesn't require that anymore but if it gives you any missing packages error please report it to me.

So I hope you guys can test/finish this up so this can be played online well. The original warfare map was teamdm basically. It also appears in the GDC 2002 demo movie for a moment. Most of the leaked build has the GDC 2002 content but with few maps missing that were shown in the known video.

- Leo
Forum|User
Experienced

Re: [U2XMP] COG CITY

Post by Forum|User »

For me it doesn't work, here is the error.

Code: Select all

Warning: Failed loading package: Can't find Class in file 'Class Engine.StaticMeshActor'
Warning: Failed loading package: Can't find Class in file 'Class Engine.StaticMeshActor'
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

This is for Unreal 2 XMP, hence why this is in the offtopic section. You need to have that game.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

I have not looked yet, but it's a shame U2 SP couldn't have been still played amd mapped for, instead of that kiddyfied ut2003.

I will look soon.
Binary Space Partitioning
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

It can still be. It's just dedicated server crashes on release u2 and thus replayibility is limited, but I saw no mods use u2 to its ful potential, it even has hub support in two forms basically (like you can use the atlantis system or the old hidden system). I just received two more u2 alphas, from earlier 2000 though. It includes the older map revisions already found in the later build so no new maps (apart from atlantis the old version being functional as opposed to the broken t3d file left in the later build).

I could have ported this to U2 SP as well, in fact I do have/did have plans for expansion pack for Unreal 2, its just in 2017 the contact with someone who had all the builds and maps was severed and now I am getting things slowly but the old harddrives are mostly corrupt and so right now the later iterations of the m07 maps and other cut content aren't simply there now. The game had interesting developement cycle and sometimes concepts/things dropped within few months as well. But unless the old contact gets established I don't think we'll see the later versions of m07 levels, there were six level parts in total in the end. The texture pack also kept changing as is obvious by comparing the pack of the 2000 version, the 2001 version and leftovers in the released game(s). As U2XMP is separate game pretty much.

I still don't know the exact reason why the contact was severed, but fact is Atari took everything also when they shut Legend down, so basically nobody had anything except few with some old backups/old drives. And by this point, a lot of the drives are corrupted as you can imagine.

EDIT: But even in the mid 2000 u2 alpha, there's tons of features not seen in the released game and which don't work on the conversions I released for UT. Such as, destroyable light sources, the slowly breakable glass which shatters in similar ways like later 2000s era games did, first it leaves a breakage mark, the only thing similar to that in the release game is when one of the araknids smashes against that windows which isn't really glass when you activate the pressure. There's tons of set pieces that can be destroyed and that wasn't already the case when they restarted the developement on the warfare engine. But fact is they should have just backported later engine features back instead of having to keep up with whatever epic was doing. The Warfare stuff from what I saw was apart from some cool maps and stuff, lackluster in gameplay. The player movement speed was even slower than in release unreal2. In fact unreal2's slow player movement is directly the consequence of unreal warfare, not the other way around or a thing of u2 itself. Because yes warfare was the direct extreme opposite to ut2kx. "realism" taken to the extreme. Unreal 2 was the middle ground between those two. Now it all makes sense how they planned for the releases to go like....except warfare got canned, content ended up popping up in ut2kx and then ue3 came and entire overhaul of warfare turned into gears of war....

But gears can be considered part of unreal universe, because ut2k4 has even in the intro one of the cog dropships. It shows the COG logo, the "gear". So....GOW/Unreal universe confirmed. LOOMINATY CONFURMED.
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

WARCOGCity beta1

Updated map, you will still need the original archive for sound packages. Removed dependancy to CliffTest (which is what it still depended on for no reason), added some fixed signs, but not all placed exactly correctly, some placed only as duplicates/replacement. The pivot is different in those so it would need to be adjusted. Either way now can be played in both teams. Added some ammostations as well, similar to the depots that the original warfare map had. Not at same spots but roughly. I thought about adding vehicles but maybe that would be too much for it now. Feel free to modify/continue etc.
esnesi
Godlike
Personal rank: Dialed in.

Post by esnesi »

Leo(T.C.K.) wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:32 pm. So....GOW/Unreal universe confirmed. LOOMINATY CONFURMED.
lol'd!
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

I discovered another package dependancy so I reuploaded the archive now. Sorry for that. If you see some messed up texture somewhere let me know.
EDIT: And yet another dependancy...I don't know what is happening, it just messed up. Will reupload same archive yet again.
EDIT2: Reuploaded.