Unreal PSX rework:Rise of Jrath thread

Maps, mods and resources ported from or to Unreal.
Must run in UT99 or with Oldskool Amp'd.
Unreal 227 only projects are "Off-Topic"
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Re: Unreal PSX rework:Rise of Jrath thread

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

I don't think you're using the implantgun update (should be part of 1.1 release already anyway), the implantgun file was updated between versions last I checked you still used some old files on redirect etc too.

EDIT: It is in the UT directory separately in the 1.1 release.

This was one of the reasons why it was updated (and the subsequent easy to use thing with it now being a full tournamentweapon too).
esnesi
Godlike
Personal rank: Dialed in.

Post by esnesi »

Thanks.
Indeed missed the 1.1 update.
Files should be up2date now, can't reproduce the issue anymore :)

*edit
Wow!
The training ''unexpected fall'' in UPB-E1L4B is awesome!
Although i liked the older lighting better in the map personally ;p
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

Not sure what you're talking about. I didn't update e1l4b at all since the initial release, that was part of part 1 already. What lighting? You mean compared to e1l1b? They are the same location but different map technically at different time of the day.
esnesi
Godlike
Personal rank: Dialed in.

Post by esnesi »

Never noticed E1LB4 was the same as E1L1b till now, assumed it got replaced with the 1.1 update.
As i said, i still need to fnish this once without getting stuck and losing patience lol.
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

BANScriptsPatch

Banscripts patch, hopefuly everything works as expected. This update was long overdue and it fixes an annoying problem on servers mainly with the banpushfields. If there are still any problems please feel free to report in the thread.

Now as I often said before, such things might even be last. The situation with covid and government imposed rules is getting more severe again and I can't survive another lockdown like this without some help. Things are going very desperate and I hope I won't have to resort doing ugly things given everything I'm facing...

EDIT:
https://www.moddb.com/mods/unreal-psx-r ... ield-patch
moddb link with some additional description and warning against usage of many actors in this.
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

More patches.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/unreal-psx-r ... t-ut-patch

This is UT only so I will only post it here, it will be part of the next release too and a full episode 2 release as well together with other patches.

Basically your log could grow big if you played as a client on a dedicated server. This didn't happen in singleplayer but UT is trying to be a little "smarter" when it comes to online play and suddenly its a problem when standard animation name is missing and calls the tweenanim.

upsxquad patch
Delacroix
Adept
Personal rank: UMS R&D CEO

Post by Delacroix »

For the time being, I compiled everything into a single archive. I hope I didn't miss any patches. Here you go:

https://mega.nz/folder/VM9wkJKK#dmQG24JV1Qz3Y9O2laI5gg

This includes everything up to the November 01 Quadshot patch. Due to the nature of MEGA, I'll find it very easy to update this archive with every new patch Leo releases, therefore keeping it up to date, without the need to link-change. If you'd like, add this to OP.
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

There are still a couple of patches coming for few maps, which will also add a little bit of content into them from upcoming release b (it includes a surprise new pawn). Perhaps I should have announced this up front. But a patched up full release was on the schedule. However Thanks for uploading a fixed up version. If I knw this was coming I would have told you to hold it off a few days because we're getting there with the map patches and finishing the extra pawn.

Then again you just said it is no problem to update with any patch I put out.
Delacroix
Adept

Post by Delacroix »

Precisely. Any patch you put out will hit that archive. I do however have several questions which I'll hit you up in PMs later.

EDIT: 227i: problem with horrordeck. The intro map, specifically. The skycar I'm in refuses to move at all. Just the music plays and I'm locked into this small area.

227j_46 working as intended.
mrtechwizard
Novice

Post by mrtechwizard »

Is this the Unreal Tournament for the PSX?
Delacroix
Adept

Post by Delacroix »

No, it is not. In fact, there never was an Unreal Tournament for the PS1. Unreal Tournament was released on the following generation of consoles, for Dreamcast and the PS2.

This is Unreal, that was planned for the PS1. An entirely unique single player campaign. You probably know and if you don't, then you'll find right now, that before Unreal Tournament, there was Unreal, the single player game. It received a single expansion pack, Return to Na Pali. It also had a PlayStation port planned, with a completely new campaign (one of the suggested titles was Rise of Jrath, which is the title of this remake project).

Most of the maps were recovered and by now all are retextured (retexturing was needed coz they had ultra-low-res equivalents of normal packages). Leo just needs to do whatever needs to be done to complete the project, now. It's best that he tells us what else is left to do.
mrtechwizard
Novice

Post by mrtechwizard »

Leo(T.C.K.) wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:52 pm There are still a couple of patches coming for few maps, which will also add a little bit of content into them from upcoming release b (it includes a surprise new pawn). Perhaps I should have announced this up front. But a patched up full release was on the schedule. However Thanks for uploading a fixed up version. If I knw this was coming I would have told you to hold it off a few days because we're getting there with the map patches and finishing the extra pawn.

Then again you just said it is no problem to update with any patch I put out.
Hey Leo, I love what you're doing, but Delacroix told me you got the files from Pterodactyl Software, who I cant find any info on who they were in relation to Unreal PSX... They must've been with Atari, Infogrames, or GT for that matter... As Legend Entertainment developed the expansion packs RTNP and Unreal 2...
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

Several of the Episode 2 maps were rather unfinished still, so the work that's being done still is obviously adding story to most maps, new content (including the already released stuff), the jrath boss needs some serious work on even if the model got already remade, there's just tons of stuff overall to make it paletable and I also allowed jackhonda to create a new secret map as episode 2 had none, etc.

The secret map is part of Level 5 maps now. I planned to even use the nali skeleton pawns that delacroix loves so much there but this had to be abandoned because it would make it 227 only and when i stripped the package of all 227 dependancy, then it still froze up the game and was not possible to debug due to the nature the code was written. So there will be only the upak skeletons as decorations.

Pterodactyl Software is behind some old psx games, however they were known as such only for a couple of titles, the more known name was "aardvark" software iirc. The main guys (not the entire team) were behind the duke nukem 3d port on the psx for instance too. This was meant to be published by GTi, the european part of the gti even as the main publisher, which was kind of a reverse of the situation with plain Unreal. When GTi was disbanded by Infogrames in 2000 this meant the end to this project.

Delacroix: Are you sure that you are using the public release of 227i? Because that's actually what it was primarily tested on, unless you are playing in coop, in which case it only "appears" that the car is not moving, because actually it uses a trick with the skybox instead which is not replicated properly, for this reason I added a little message with trigger that you can also use the grab key on the mover if you don't want to wait and just exit the vehicle which will teleport you to the real starting room.
But really yrex made this intro part on 227i to begin with, I made sure it stays compatible but it is funny you have issues on 227i as it was made on that version originally.

It is based off an existing unfinished psx map which had the buildings etc untextured and which was assumed could have been meant for the intro so it was utilized.
Basically it is using a trick with existing actors etc as the car is not really moving, the skybox actor is moving around instead creating this illusion.
EDIT: I can talk more in detail about some of this or what my work often involved in practice.
You see, several levels like UPB-E1L3B, they were nothing but shells. There were just the brushes the frames in the void and the weird skyboxes. In fact I merged two of jeff rubin's wip maps together. But they were shells, no gameplay but on paper. They were obviously meant to lead somewhere, so I then added some retextured unreal 95 parts and that synreal map and added my own spin onto it. Yet I didn't credit myself because I only do that when there's major geometry work involved and a couple of new movers and portal frames don't really count as such for me, even though in retrospect I should have credited myself more there, in the map author field I mean. Instead I opted for "various" which is seen a lot in some maps. I suppose the amount of work I actaully credit myself reflects more of my general state of mind than anything, like in rys I used to write unnecesary shit in the author field which years after I found that I shouldn't have done that and instead went the other extreme. Still the rule of thumb is for me to credit myself only if there are sections created entirely by me in geometry.
For the horrordeck intro map I added some actors, the conversation, the texturing in the indoor part (despite the geometry made by yrex), yrex then modified a couple of the upb jeff textures i used to fit better and I put it in a separate package.
EDIT2: As for the details about the cancellation of unreal psx, it really comes down to in the end the infogrames takeover. While there were some reports about Epic etc worrying about the looks of the game and that their engine will look bad on the psx, those still weren't real reasons for cancellations, they were simply concerns and might have been later used as handy examples by some executives, but really Infogrames often took it too far around that time. I mean even now we find out that people like EvilGrins actually got the UT GOTY that was once planned for a wider release but thought to be cancelled only for some limited sales still to happen obviously. With all the other intended mods being present. (I still hope he can find the original CD and not just the mods themselves)
There were so many different reports like even the last article of playstation magazine reports that unreal psx has been pushed back for a complete rework instead of cancelled, but I heard nothing of that from the developers so that phase must have also been cancelled. There were also several people who left the team in 1999 still so a lot of the levels were meant to be replaced or reworked and I didn't get those or they simply weren't made in time, but obviously things were moving that direction and if the cancellation didn't happen the end result would have been consistent level design quality.
You can see this in the original files, the latest the levels are the more consistent and unified they felt with the overall game. Unfortunately some levels we only got shells of or really outdated 1999 versions.
There were also some 2000 levels from the presentation demo alone and those (while severaly cut down for optimization) showed even more unification, for example the vortex rikers doors were no longer opening in the middle, but those particular level versions were incomplete and only reused for the psx flyby in practice. So for the campaign the gameplay working levels were used instead.
Delacroix
Adept

Post by Delacroix »

Yep, public 227i, fresh download and install. And yet the bug persists. The skycar ain't movin'.

227j_46 works like a charm though.

I literally redownloaded stuff to start from scratch, plastered Unreal Gold (GOG installation), then 227i on top of that, then UPSX. Car. Frozen. Solid. I check 227j_46? Guess what. It works.

Thanks for all the fill-ins.

Also, since Steele Dawn level is included in E1L5, shouldn't we include the Male3Skins_Brand.Brandon also in the package, just for the skin not to get lost? You could just slap it on some corpse somewhere to not leave it unused.
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

No, I made the point of not using the steele dawn textures including the skin. It won't get lost per say, what was recovered stays even on wayback machine and I have it mirrored too.
Plus it is played backwards and has numerous changes to the original map.

Besides I did sucesfuly contact another steele dawn member in the summer, the only one left it appears with any working contact I could get to. He has everything but its in storage and this covid bs lockdowns are preventing him from going there in practice as its in another state. Not only that but some family crisis struck down last i spoke to him and I haven't heard of him for two months now. However he is the real chance to get that stuff finally recovered in full, so then those textures can stay only for steele dawn.

After all that single recovered map from steele dawn plus some textures were really little compared to what was made. It might not be 100 percent finished but it should be relatively easy job once all the files are there.

EDIT: That 227i stuff sounds weird. I didn't use unreal gold 227i though, did you use the gold version? maybe something in it breaks it I have no clue.

Fact is last I played with 227j it still kind of broke e1l3a though as the space interpolation sequence isn't cut off by the player teleportation like it is in 227i and all the other versions. They made changes to interpolation events to support turboman's stuff but in the end even turboman concluded that he'd rather have custom class than to break compat for older maps like that.