CTF-UTDMW-GodsOfEgypt

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

CTF-UTDMW-GodsOfEgypt

Post by EvilGrins »

Always wanted to track down certain fandom weapons to put on appropriately themed maps...

...this map is clearly Stargate themed, and I've replaced most every weapon with the Goa'uld staff weapon. Originally intended for a mod project that fell through unfortunately, those that worked on that were French, so messages relating to that weapon are also in French/Francais.

I say almost every weapon as I left the redeemers alone. Which leads to an answer to a question I get frequently asked these days... yes, this map is large enough for RX/SLV. I couldn't handle those on here but I'm not that great of a pilot; this map would require an exceptional pilot to be able to handle that on here.

Both bases have 3 Stargates, main 1 by the flag. The map is subject to frequent quakes due to an alien ship that flies overhead periodically.

Bases also have 2 Warlords/Jaffa each. Combat can get fairly intense on here if you're playing it to even half of maximum capacity.

Pathing on this map initially sucked rocks, so Nelsona fixed that.

Usual Suspects:
.u - /system
.umx - /music
.unr - /maps
.png - Pwetty!

Enjoy!
http://www.mediafire.com/file/r59p273ts ... fEgypt.zip
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
ANUBITEK
Adept

Re: CTF-UTDMW-GodsOfEgypt

Post by ANUBITEK »

I haven't downloaded it yet, but I just wanted to comment on the sky in the screen caps. It'd probably look better if you were able to make the "skybox" subtraction brush a sort of hemisphere dome, add a semi-solid plane for the clouds, then re-light the sky so it only shows a section of the sky. Something about full brightness box night skies is off to me, I've even come to a point where I only light so much of the sky (typically "roof" of the cube subtraction brush). I can make a mock up when I'm available tomorrow if you want a better example.

tl;dr personal preference whining waaaaaa :P
<<| http://uncodex.ut-files.com/ |>>

Code reference for UGold, UT99, Unreal2, UT2k3, UT3
Additional Beyond Unreal Wiki Links
wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:Console_Bar
wiki.beyondunreal.com/Exec_commands#Load
wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:Exec_Directive#Loading_Other_Packages
wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:Config_Vars_And_.Ini_Files
wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:INT_File
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Whining is allowed taking in account how were those "ramps" designed...
See original map... I won't comment anything... This is jewel compared with what it was.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

ANUBITEK wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:09 pmI can make a mock up when I'm available tomorrow if you want a better example.
Please!
sektor2111 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:00 pmWhining is allowed taking in account how were those "ramps" designed...
There's another map I'd like you take a look at in the near future, but we can get to that later, where I actually fixed a ramp/staircase by extending its mesh.

Kinda did it accidentally, wish I'd thought of that before i released this one.
Koolflux
Experienced

Post by Koolflux »

Played on this map a little bit for a botmatch yesterday, and it plays rather nicely. Pretty big area, too, so a lot of room to move around.

Favorite maps of mine for UT are ones with a science fiction or fantasy theme, and this map, to me, looks to have a little bit of both. For me, the big giveaways to the map being Stargate-themed were the big portals behind each flag as well as the spaceship that occasionally flies over the map. And the Goa'uld staff weapon fits well with the theme of the map, too.
"I am the Alpha and the Omega." ~Xan Kriegor
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Koolflux wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:47 pmFor me, the big giveaways to the map being Stargate-themed were the big portals behind each flag as well as the spaceship that occasionally flies over the map
The next long standing edit is also clearly StarGate themed. Made by BadKarma, who did some amazing Star Wars themed maps, he made a few Stargate ones too.

Kinda wanna see if anyone ever made a singular p90 weapon mutator, rather than using the whole counterstrike weaponspack for just the 1 gun.
Attachments
Shot0009.png
ANUBITEK
Adept

Post by ANUBITEK »

EvilGrins wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:13 pm
ANUBITEK wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:09 pmI can make a mock up when I'm available tomorrow if you want a better example.
Please!
Here is the map file for the sky, so you can play with the brushes/textures and look at it in real time. I'm also including some preview screenshots, but they don't really do a whole lot of justice.

What I did was make a box room, add Tetrahedron brush with I think 2-3 Extrapolation (brush property), intersect only half of the Tetrahedron brush, delete the box room, subtracted using the Tet brush, added a cylinder with as many sides as the sky, made its sides invisible and scaled to basically be the size of if you were to overlay two planes offset from each other (same as a double-texture scrolling sky, but without custom brushes which I forgot existed lol), then lit it, added a zone, did some texture modification for skybox, and you can look around the map in-game because I added a spawn point. Maybe not what you want, but I think the stars look better than if they were on a flat plane due to using a box for the sky.

edit:
This was actually a good mapping exercise, I needed it. The lack of key rebinds for the editor still sucks something fierce, is there a way yet to edit those or are they hard coded in?
Attachments
TEST-ANUBITEK_Sky.unr
(17.92 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
Untitled.png
NotVeryGoodPreview.png
<<| http://uncodex.ut-files.com/ |>>

Code reference for UGold, UT99, Unreal2, UT2k3, UT3
Additional Beyond Unreal Wiki Links
wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:Console_Bar
wiki.beyondunreal.com/Exec_commands#Load
wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:Exec_Directive#Loading_Other_Packages
wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:Config_Vars_And_.Ini_Files
wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:INT_File
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

ANUBITEK wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:29 pmThis was actually a good mapping exercise, I needed it. The lack of key rebinds for the editor still sucks something fierce, is there a way yet to edit those or are they hard coded in?
Careful there, i might have to take you on as a consultant for surrounding environments. I'm good at editing many things on maps but I'm still fairy basic, I've got one guy who handles fixes to pathing for me.

There's at least 2 UnrealEd threads on this forum, which I haven't been following that closely, but I'm pretty sure there was some discussion of key bindings in one of them.