Thinking about a new map-

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
TexasGtar
Adept

Thinking about a new map-

Post by TexasGtar »

:help:

Okay, since you guys were so helpful finishing up my MH hunt map. I have two ideas that I think I might want to tackle.

My first idea was to make an assault map (because I like them the most) and there is one that I have thought about making for quite a long time, since the early days, but it never even got started.
And now I am wondering if someone hasn't tried to make one already. The Alamo. Does anyone know if this has been done for ut99 before? I always thought it would be a good assault map. I'm probably not the only one, so I was looking to see if it has been done before. I searched the internet and found nothing, so I was hopeful that maybe it is just a good idea that has not been tackled before. Let me know if anyone has heard of such a map.
==============================
Next idea is Corregidor island. WW2 folks might have heard about it, but it is pretty much the alamo but ww2 style. My grandfather defended that island until he was captured by the Japanese and etc etc etc...but I thought it might make for a good assault map. Plus a lot of Texas Aggies tried to defend it so it has the Texas connection, and duh, I want to do something related to Texas. I am guessing (fairly certain) that no one has done this map. It's not as well known as the alamo.

================================
So...
1.) let me know if you have heard about an alamo map.

2.)Thank you.

3.) Feel free to shoot me an idea.
Spoiler
Like you could come up with a better assault idea than the alamo. :D
I just feel like I have a few more maps in me before I get too old to have the patience to make one. I have been having so much fun with the MH map. Just want to see what I can do now while it is still fun.
Hook
Inhuman
Personal rank: UT99 Promoter/Admin

Re: Thinking about a new map-

Post by Hook »

Both good ideas!
I myself have not seen these themes or scenarios used in any ut99 maps.
I am a war history buff, especially WWII.
=Hook=(Member# 626)
HUTP Active Forums: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net/forum
HUTP UT99 Community Portal: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net/
OR: https://hermskii.com/hook/ut99_hutp/
UT99 Server -> CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM}

* Newest Versions of: PRO-Redeemers | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemers | PRO-SEEKER-Redeemers <-(the Original)
and Now with FOOD FIGHT and Frying Pan arena !!!
IP: 68.232.181.236:7777 <-(NEW IP to come)
UT99 MH Server -> {CMH} CROSSBONES Monster Hunt (MH) by Mars007 (The Original) - IP: 108.61.238.93:7777
TexasGtar
Adept

Post by TexasGtar »

Oh well, then you must be aware of Corregidor Island. I didn't really know much until I started doing my family history. It was a very hard but interesting story.
I'm glad I found out so much. My grandfather went through hell there and then after being captured. Then the first boat he was on to take him to Japan was sunk and he swam to shore to be recaptured.
OMG it just went on and on and on all the crap he went through. He did finally reach Fukushima but died days after arrival. I found the camp records and everything.
4th marines. I think my dad was only 3 years old when his dad died. I obviously never got to meet him.

I like the Alamo idea but after learning so much about the siege of Corregidor, I got to thinking the ut weapons are really more suited to this kind of assault map. Plus there were several structures there, and the Malinta tunnel could be an awesome ending to an island assault. Plus it would have the feel of Overlord map. Use the tunnel as the final push. I think it could be really hairy map with a lot of decent gameplay if done right.

The Alamo is really tiny. I mean when you go there it's like this is it? It would have to be a breach outer wall breach inner wall, then I don't know once you are inside, there isn't going to be much to do. I'd have to make the 2 wall breaches the most exciting part with a boring ending. Maybe i ould embellish the size a little bit? lol Everythings bigger in Texas, right?

Just seems like my heart wants to do the alamo, but my brain thinks the Corregidor map might be way more fun to play.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

TexasGtar wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:01 am Just seems like my heart wants to do the alamo, but my brain thinks the Corregidor map might be way more fun to play.
That suggests that Corregidor is the one to go for. It certainly sounds like it would make a more interesting and exciting assault map.

The Alamo could make a fun smallish MH map along the lines of Minas Tirith or MeltTown - both of these are fortified structures which the players need to 'assault' and then take out the monsters inside.

There is no Alamo AS map AFAIK but there is a CTF map (CTF-(DsK)ALAMO.unr) which is pretty basic with two facing Alamos set in a flat landscape - it's set at night which makes it rather more interesting/difficult than it would otherwise have been (should you be interesting in it it can be found at /ctf-dskalamo_e1bbd756.html).
TexasGtar
Adept

Post by TexasGtar »

OjitroC wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:36 am That suggests that Corregidor is the one to go for. It certainly sounds like it would make a more interesting and exciting assault map.

The Alamo could make a fun smallish MH map along the lines of Minas Tirith or MeltTown - both of these are fortified structures which the players need to 'assault' and then take out the monsters inside.

There is no Alamo AS map AFAIK but there is a CTF map (CTF-(DsK)ALAMO.unr) which is pretty basic with two facing Alamos set in a flat landscape - it's set at night which makes it rather more interesting/difficult than it would otherwise have been (should you be interesting in it it can be found at /ctf-dskalamo_e1bbd756.html).
That is a great idea. MH for the alamo sounds like a really good way to do it. I'll check out the CTF map. But that just makes so much sense. Clear the structure of monsters ...I like that idea a lot.

I'll get those 2 MH maps too. Thank you. Good info. Maybe I need to do both. Keep from getting stuck or bored with one if I have 2 maps going at same time. I think you have solved the what should I do.
I'll be mulling it over at work today.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

There's a lot of possibilities with The Alamo - I expect you've seen this but on TheAlamo.org there is an excellent digital visualisation of the compound as it was just before the battle in 1836. Also, if you can get hold of it, the 2004 movie The Alamo looks like it gives a good idea of the layout, scale, etc of the compound.

Those two MH maps are examples of the player attacking monsters in and on fortified structures - they are different in scale (Minas Tirith has about 180 Skaarj weapon carriers and a number of Skaarj Warriors types, plus one big boss; whilst Melt Town has around 900 monsters of many different kinds again with one very healthy boss). I like them as they can be played by just one person and because they require quite a bit of sniping followed by more slow, stealthy and steady gameplay once inside the defences. Having had a look at the Alamo, I think both are larger in terms of the size and scale of the defences so they're perhaps not directly useful for inspiration.
TexasGtar
Adept

Post by TexasGtar »

OjitroC wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:52 pm There's a lot of possibilities with The Alamo - I expect you've seen this but on TheAlamo.org there is an excellent digital visualisation of the compound as it was just before the battle in 1836. Also, if you can get hold of it, the 2004 movie The Alamo looks like it gives a good idea of the layout, scale, etc of the compound.

Those two MH maps are examples of the player attacking monsters in and on fortified structures - they are different in scale (Minas Tirith has about 180 Skaarj weapon carriers and a number of Skaarj Warriors types, plus one big boss; whilst Melt Town has around 900 monsters of many different kinds again with one very healthy boss). I like them as they can be played by just one person and because they require quite a bit of sniping followed by more slow, stealthy and steady gameplay once inside the defences. Having had a look at the Alamo, I think both are larger in terms of the size and scale of the defences so they're perhaps not directly useful for inspiration.
That movie does a really good job, I agree.
I started making Corregidor island. I will get going and post any screenshots once I have something of value to post. I've never been known as a fast mapper. lol
I will also start the MH alamo map too. I think that is going to be good. Now who wants to code sombreros on some pupae for me. Ha! Just kidding.

And so it begins
Attachments
preview1a.jpg
TexasGtar
Adept

Post by TexasGtar »

Getting the alamo map fleshed out. I guess it's bigger than I thought.
Attachments
preview8.jpg
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Dude, I see that brick with the missing chunk out of that corner of it, map sucks. :P

Seems like you have a good grasp on the entire scene-to-map. :thuup:
Binary Space Partitioning
TexasGtar
Adept

Post by TexasGtar »

Red_Fist wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:02 am Dude, I see that brick with the missing chunk out of that corner of it, map sucks. :P

Seems like you have a good grasp on the entire scene-to-map. :thuup:
Carpenter for 34 years. Just like reading a blueprint.

The mountain / hilly landscape of Corregidor will be tough but once I get that done, I can start building. I have a lot of photos of what it used to look like before the zillion pounds of Japanese bombs were dropped on that island. So building the structures should be fairly straight forward.

The alamo is going to be up to interpretation for some of it since there is only a few drawings and such of what it really looked like.
At least I have the layout of it and I can have a little leeway with the structures. I'll try to make both maps as authentic as I can.

100 years difference between the 2 battles which will give both a unique look. I am so excited to get started. Should be a fun project for me. Thanks for the interest.

(that missing chunk is one of the wall breaches.. lol)
TexasGtar
Adept

Post by TexasGtar »

Update. Slowly but surely.
So I have a question.

The iconic top of the chapel of the alamo has that rounded top everyone recognizes, but that was actually added AFTER the battle of the alamo.
So where do you stand on this map. Should I make the iconic rounded top everyone is familiar with or should I make it as it was before the famous battle with a more rectangle flat top?

I think I want to make it the rounded top. I'm kind of on the fence. What do you guys and girls think?
Attachments
previewala.jpg
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

TexasGtar wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:02 am
I think I want to make it the rounded top. I'm kind of on the fence. What do you guys and girls think?
There's a case for doing it either way so go with your feeling about it - the rounded top is certainly iconic and, as you say, makes it more widely recognisable.