Were our bug reports and suggestions even useful?

Discussions about UT99
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Re: Were our bug reports and suggestions even useful?

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

Feralidragon wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:42 pm You're free to submit bug reports and be able to explain everything in 1 or 2 full sentences without following a specific format.
That's absolutely fine as long as the problem or feature request is simple enough and crystal clear to both sides, and it's actually better to keep it as simple as possible since developers do not like to read much either or go through a lot of stuff to get to the core of the problem, so you don't need to go the other extreme, as that wouldn't help anyone either.

All you have to do is to "care", care enough to put in just a bit more work to actively help the developers, than just to give them chores to do.
And one-liners like simply "X is broken" or "add support for X" , without any more detail, context, anything really, and without even a justification in the latter example, are indeed extremely lazy and do not really contribute towards anything at all.
Mhm, you wrote this before:
Feralidragon wrote: Picking your example of "The progress messages disappear when the voice menu is open", you would need to describe the exact steps to reproduce this, ideally with screenshots or a video to show off the problem, maybe even trying different renderers from the start to check if the problem only happens with a specific renderer or is engine-wide.
Beyond the fact that the bug report didn't specify the renderers affected by this problem etc, what do you understand from that one-line sentence? I'm asking this cause you wrote this:
Ferildragon wrote: developers may wonder what exactly you even mean with this, may try to reproduce it and being unable to
which means they would at least try to reproduce it in their own environments, the worse case scenario is that they couldn't reproduce it in the end, but then wouldn't they just ignore the report or would there be total panic? I understand that time is precious, but we are still talking about working on free time with no intent to receive any reward.
"Your stuff is known to be buggy and unfinished/not properly tested"
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

PrinceOfFunky wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:33 pm
Feralidragon wrote: Picking your example of "The progress messages disappear when the voice menu is open", you would need to describe the exact steps to reproduce this, ideally with screenshots or a video to show off the problem, maybe even trying different renderers from the start to check if the problem only happens with a specific renderer or is engine-wide.
Beyond the fact that the bug report didn't specify the renderers affected by this problem etc, what do you understand from that one-line sentence?
Not that it is anything to do with me but I wouldn't understand what you meant by "progress messages". A screenshot taken before opening the voice menu and another taken after opening it would obviously give more information on the 'problem', plus whether it is map-specific, gametype specific, etc, etc.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Wow, indeed, it's a big issue... :ironic2:
I never used and I'm not sure if I'll ever see such instance.

Of course, some recommended Editor add-ons weren't done. Is this an End of World ? No, it's not. They did what they could and we can be happy for new features, compiling some RX mods using 469 was showing a lot of USELESS TRASH which those mods are having + naming variables as functions from Core, perhaps to mock mods in a stupid coding style trying to use similar named assets... UT469 was really helpful for getting rid of nasty bytes. If it has a NEW "ScriptWarning" but without showing "NOTAWarningScript" then... I won't use it in that case... Is this even a problem for me ? No, I'll hack that bugger some day, not today... no one has asked a native to work out of an array - that can be stopped at C++ Level, it's more polite to spit a log as long as you didn't gave me any replacement for that "Warning". But... I'm assuming that I was talking to the wind and then this is not a big issue.
Could any of you did figure in Editor.log if a brush has borked vertexes which model is about for being fixed ? No ? No problem then we are used already with trash maps, it's place for more... I bugged a brush on purpose and Editor did not show any "Warning" and this is definitely Garbage Brush.
No_Warning.PNG
I've been expecting a log:

Code: Select all

Warning: Brush4 has a non-coplanar surface !
I'm not disturbed then, I'll use only quality maps not just UNR files. I'm grateful for goodies solved/added at UT469 after all...
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

@PrinceOfFunky: Like OjitroC mentioned, it's hard to tell what you mean with "progress messages", I don't know what that is either.
Maybe some people do, but not me, maybe not even the devs.

That's why it's important to do things like reproducing steps and screenshots of the problem, because that way the used terminology in a bug report no longer becomes a factor in understanding the actual issue in the first place.

Here's an example of what a good, yet simple, report looks like:
https://github.com/OldUnreal/UnrealTour ... /issues/22

Simple title, straightforward explanation of the issue, and screenshots to show it clearly.
And the result: a quick reply from Anth who understood the problem immediately, and gave already a workaround along with the prospect of getting it fixed in the next version of the patch.

This is what simple and effective bug reporting looks like.
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

Feralidragon wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:49 pm @PrinceOfFunky: Like OjitroC mentioned, it's hard to tell what you mean with "progress messages", I don't know what that is either.
Maybe some people do, but not me, maybe not even the devs.
I used the technical term used in PlayerPawn.uc, the progress messages are messages like "You have the flag, return it to the base", I thought you knew about the most common terms used in the original unrealscript files, but maybe it's not that common then.
Feralidragon wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:49 pm Here's an example of what a good, yet simple, report looks like:
https://github.com/OldUnreal/UnrealTour ... /issues/22
I know exactly how a detailed bug report is compiled, I've done it myself many time for Blender and other softwares. What I'm saying is that you should have told us that you needed that kind of bug reports and not simple less detailed ones.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

"Progress Messages" which I'm using in my path finders tools didn't bugged me. What exactly is the problem with them ?
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

sektor2111 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:54 pm "Progress Messages" which I'm using in my path finders tools didn't bugged me. What exactly is the problem with them ?
PrinceOfFunky wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:11 am "The progress messages disappear when the voice menu is open".
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

OjitroC wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:34 pm
sektor2111 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:54 pm "Progress Messages" which I'm using in my path finders tools didn't bugged me. What exactly is the problem with them ?
PrinceOfFunky wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:11 am "The progress messages disappear when the voice menu is open".
You are kidding right? It's 500% obvious that he's doing it on purpose, he knows it so clearly that those are not progress messages, especially cause there's no progress and the term itself would've no any sense at all, he has done this kind of thing since forever, also we are talking about UT99 and not Unreal Ed.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

PrinceOfFunky wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:00 am You are kidding right? It's 500% obvious that he's doing it on purpose, he knows it so clearly that those are not progress messages,

function DoSayReach()
{
	if ( P != None )
	{
		if ( bWorking )
		{
			P.ClearProgressMessages();
			P.SetProgressMessage("Destination is Reachable!",1);
			clMsg.R=255;
			clMsg.G=128;
			clMsg.B=0;
			P.SetProgressColor(clMsg,1);
			P.SetProgressTime(3);
			DoResetChilds();
			NewRot = Rotator(P.Destination - P.Location);
			P.ClientSetLocation(P.Location,NewRot);
			bWorking=False;
		}
	}
}
You are one of those with "issues" about warps through servers, messages, etc. Clearly you did not even see BotyMan3 and others... This is a sequence from my MHBotyMan5. If these are not public it's because navigation in UE1 is happily crapped up by Epic and only adjusted servers can use these tools. You can call such a message without ServerPackages, lol...
I want to see first what such sort of path testers can you do, and after that I'll ask if you are kidding...

PS - lol signature - you are kidding there:
My stuff is not known as being buggy because I did not release it so is unknown in all ways, and I tested it more than you can imagine, including XC stuff with dynamic arrays throwing out "names" buggers...

Okay, have a nice day !Job is waiting me...
Shrimp
Adept

Post by Shrimp »

I feel like this thread has turned into an example of why they stopped checking the other one very frequently. It seems to devolve into pages of squabbling which the patch devs don't have the time or energy to sift through looking for useful information.
ShrimpWorks
Unreal Archive - preserving over 25 years of user-created content for the Unreal series!
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

sektor2111 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:18 am
PrinceOfFunky wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:00 am You are kidding right? It's 500% obvious that he's doing it on purpose, he knows it so clearly that those are not progress messages,

function DoSayReach()
{
	if ( P != None )
	{
		if ( bWorking )
		{
			P.ClearProgressMessages();
			P.SetProgressMessage("Destination is Reachable!",1);
			clMsg.R=255;
			clMsg.G=128;
			clMsg.B=0;
			P.SetProgressColor(clMsg,1);
			P.SetProgressTime(3);
			DoResetChilds();
			NewRot = Rotator(P.Destination - P.Location);
			P.ClientSetLocation(P.Location,NewRot);
			bWorking=False;
		}
	}
}
You are one of those with "issues" about warps through servers, messages, etc. Clearly you did not even see BotyMan3 and others... This is a sequence from my MHBotyMan5. If these are not public it's because navigation in UE1 is happily crapped up by Epic and only adjusted servers can use these tools. You can call such a message without ServerPackages, lol...
I want to see first what such sort of path testers can you do, and after that I'll ask if you are kidding...

PS - lol signature - you are kidding there:
My stuff is not known as being buggy because I did not release it so is unknown in all ways, and I tested it more than you can imagine, including XC stuff with dynamic arrays throwing out "names" buggers...

Okay, have a nice day !Job is waiting me...
Can you please explain me how do you open the Voice Menu in Unreal Editor? Cause, you know... my bug report said this: "The progress messages disappear when the voice menu is open"
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

PrinceOfFunky wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:36 pm Can you please explain me how do you open the Voice Menu in Unreal Editor?
I do NOT OPEN ANY SORT of VOICE Menu in Editor because simply I have other things to do in Editor than Voices - perhaps this is the most hilarious thing called bug, excuse me but I'm testing voices in game not in Editor... What I was saying about path finders testers it's about MUTATORS in GAME not mutators in Editor... Poor Editor, it's guilty for everything...

Okay keep going, I wanna see what else was "ignored" in UT469 patch, because for me in UT469 and XC_Engine25 Starting-Progress-Messages are back after releasing voice <V> key, I don't even understand what and where is the bug.
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

sektor2111 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:20 pm
PrinceOfFunky wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:36 pm Can you please explain me how do you open the Voice Menu in Unreal Editor?
I do NOT OPEN ANY SORT of VOICE Menu in Editor because simply I have other things to do in Editor than Voices - perhaps this is the most hilarious thing called bug, excuse me but I'm testing voices in game not in Editor... What I was saying about path finders testers it's about MUTATORS in GAME not mutators in Editor... Poor Editor, it's guilty for everything...

Okay keep going, I wanna see what else was "ignored" in UT469 patch, because for me in UT469 and XC_Engine25 Starting-Progress-Messages are back after releasing voice <V> key, I don't even understand what and where is the bug.
Well that's what I said, you can't open the voice menu in the editor, so that has no sense to talk about the editor, but you did it even if you knew it had nothing to do with the editor.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Dude, over 70% of people know that ProgressMessages are IN GAME stuff at beginning having nothing to do with Editor. I said words "mutators" "serverPackages" "adjusted Servers" "path Finders". Finding path in Editor IT'S NOT WORKING due to physics rules my friend (perhaps I can do something in future...)... so let's keep the talk where it needs to be - GAME UT469 - and nothing else. I did NOT Mention that "in my Editor these are working" I don't know how did you came to this conclusion about almighty Editor Goblin and his friends... lol.

And then BACK to the thing: For me these Are Working and aren't having issues. And then, I don't see why Anthrax and Higor should repair things which ain't broken. You'd better check your configurations and which INT/IT are triggering dumb stuff screwing your most wanted messages.
I can record these "messages" but it doesn't make any sense. What for ? So far I'm curious if Higor will setup that XC and then I can happily go back to the working table. I cannot complain about UT469, if something doesn't do what I need I can switch versions in a few seconds - I already have those textures prepared for batch fallback and updating tasks. For me it's all fine.

From me: Respect to Anthrax and Higor for their work.