◄►469 Patch Discussions◄►

Discussions about UT99
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: ◄► Unreal Tournament v469a Patch Release ◄►

Post by papercoffee »

sektor2111 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:16 pm
papercoffee wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:58 pm Only sektor2111 mentioned something not working correct.
maybe you can avoid saying "only sektor2111" because it's not exactly like that.
I meant this post here.
sektor2111 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:01 am So this is the announcement place. Then it comes the bugs show. IT works, Doc, but it's crashing later, lol. If INI would be corrupted it wouldn't work at all, lol logic.
Okay, I'll wait version b.
Wasn't you mentioning something is not working? This was till now the only post in this thread about an issue with the new patch.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Correct sektor2111 this is not the place for bug reports, but I am not going to make a bug report for something that only effects 1 PC on the planet, or because of a problem on my PC that has ZERO to do with the new patch.

People won't know their is a bug unless it affects their game, and what I am seeing will not stop most people still loading and playing the game, so unless you can be bothered to look in your configs (almost no users will unless told to do so), this may be a bug that is not being spotted, but to confirm this I need feedback not criticism.
Do you want to fix me or the game ?

eg. how many of you found the mistakes in the configs ?
What about you Sektor2111 which of the config mistakes I have reported did you already see ?
Why has it taken until now for anyone to notice ?
Therefore someone has to ask the public to go and look.

All I need is one single "yes I also see the same problem" to decide it is a legitimate problem so then make a bug report.
"My configs did not update properly" is not a bug report, it is a complaint from someone who has no clue.

I would also suggest that if you have information that Github is currently hacked then you should report it to the correct place.
If your criticism is that Github was hacked but is not now, that describes most of the sites in use today.
If your criticism is that very often github repos are compromised, then that is a user issue relating to credentials, not github being hacked.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Dr.Flay wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:12 pm is currently hacked
I said WAS some time ago and not IS hacked, else you can except me from configs story, game starts but... it won't switch (restart the same map). Have you seen what Diego was posting and others ? Suuure, I'm The One bad guy, all the rest of world is perfect - dream on, Doc.

As I recall, some INT definition was missing a few releases ago - it was not my business. What else is missing right now ? Aham, nothing, I see... It's all perfect...
Dr.Flay wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:12 pm or because of a problem on my PC that has ZERO to do with the new patch.
Ahah, perhaps new patch has ZERO to do with UT'99 which was running so far in thousands of machines. Now UT99 needs a new machine because we demand that, right...
Good... you lost me here... I'll be back maybe next month if this is how the deal is going...
Last edited by sektor2111 on Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Dr.Flay wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:12 pm eg. how many of you found the mistakes in the configs ?
I can't help you there as I installed the patch manually (mainly because I thought it might overwrite .ini settings but since I wouldn't know which ones it overwrote, I didn't want it to do that - that's really a problem with the lack of documentation on the precise details of the installation process).

If your cache is 4MB, then that hasn't changed as the Default.ini with the patch has the cache as 16MB. That Default.ini has the original master servers so if yours have now been altered to those, then that part of your .ini has been altered/overwritten.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Now let me look at that Galaxy setup - it should create configuration if driver is mature...

Edit:
MasterServers have nothing to do with a Local Game... Restarted - I don't even use those things in my edit version. Why would need those in a Local Game ? It works in my v440 like that since forever.
Cache is 64 MB - collisiongrid Off LevelHook Off - crash is the same after "?Restart".

Nah... I'm wasting time...
Galaxy is the only driver working, other one is muted but it doesn't crash at "?Restart" - that's stable. And then it looks like all Audio stuff from here is not for me... I'll try other audio drivers (for UT of course). It's all about audio part, nothing more and nothing less.
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

That new audio driver actually worked for me but I haven't tested it extensively. I had problem with OpenAL though but UT always wasn't very fine with it.
Shrimp
Adept

Post by Shrimp »

On the topic of the new audio driver, it's working well for me too under Linux, but I did have to increase EffectChannels to 32 under Cluster.ClusterAudioSubsystem, otherwise I was getting dropped sounds with the default value of 16, which seems like a very low default.
ShrimpWorks
Unreal Archive - preserving over 25 years of user-created content for the Unreal series!
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

EvilGrins wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:30 am Interesting problem:
https://www.unrealsp.org/viewtopic.php?p=77149
Coming from him I am surprised how civilized that post is. He should have put it more palletably you know, in the style of some text/sounds in EXU itself!
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

So we do have another "lunatic" and not "only sektor2111" - okay, the rest of words (roaming in my brain) won't be posted...

As far as I know that dude which worked a long time at EXU doesn't use a wreck machine or "Ancient" OS (it claims "new" exciting features each time when I install it, lol) as I'm using, (preventing an USELESS data load on my hard-drives) because I need space for other things... :lol2: But... it looks like compilers are "great" capable to deliver a lot of new "content". It goes entertaining after this public release, right ? A bunch of machines must be aligned through various OS types and drivers and hardware... for working with this "compilers-result" thing because majority of them worked somehow with 436... as poorly written as it was.

Hey "REDS" you have forgot something needed in TITLE - it's called W.I.P. - Work In Progress - for plain people, else you can quit posting that "github"-ing spree (bugs reporting) because not everyone wants any registration for ONE SINGLE UNIQUE thing.
Last edited by sektor2111 on Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Neon_Knight
Adept

Post by Neon_Knight »

The big problem during the closed beta is that a lot of people just registered in OldU to post "can I be betatester?", given betatesting privilege (big mistake: a system should have been in place where you needed to report a certain amount of bugs per week in order to keep that privilege), and never appeared again. Many of these people never bothered to file a single DAMNED bug report, when the whole DAMNED point of the DAMNED closed beta was to precisely FILE DAMN BUG REPORTS. We had an entire year for this but a lot of bugs were only reported AFTER the patch came put.

And those who keep talking about the DAMNED elephant in the DAMNED room should have bothered to report the DAMNED elephant in the DAMNED room at the DAMNED place, but no, they preferred to wait until the DAMNED patch came out to complain about the DAMNED elephant in the DAMNED room.

It's like I'm seeing history being repeated once more. No wonder why many creators become so disillusioned with their own fanbases, even if they don't display it.
OldUnreal U1v227/UTv469 Localization Project coordinator/spanish language maintainer - Unreal Wiki
ProTip 1: anybody using the phrase "I'm a True Fan and You're Not!" is an obnoxious, self-centered, egotistical, elitist, narcissist douchebag.
ProTip 2: anybody who uses the "Royal We" when making a demand wants to pass their own opinion as everyone else's.
ProTip 3: Only the people that do nothing but criticize don't make mistakes. Do things. Make mistakes. Learn from them. And screw those who do nothing but throw poison and criticize.
ProTip 4: If the Duke Nukem Forever fiasco wasn't enough of a lesson, perfectionism leads to nothing positive. Don't be afraid of releasing a buggy product. Even the most polished product has its flaws.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Neon_Knight wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:44 pm ... but no, they preferred to wait until the DAMNED patch came out to complain about the DAMNED elephant in the DAMNED room.
But people will always complain - the question is what weight 'you' attach to those complaints. UT 469a is a stable patch release, not a final release - that is made very clear in the accompanying documentation. That there wil be bugs in 469a is to be expected and that people will need to alter settings, etc in various .inis is also to be expected - if people find bugs but choose to complain about them rather than report them then 'you' can attach to the appropriate weight to those complaints. The process of updating a 20 year old game in a way that suits everyone was always going to be fraught. None of this should be unexpected nor should it be a reason to become disillusioned surely?
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

I wasn't a betatester of this but if I was you an bet I would be active. However filing x bug reports per week sounds too extreme. I reported my share of bugs in 227 on oldunreal but it was never once a week and one time smirf got angry even wen i sent him e-mail about a bug that kept reappearing and messed with the upsx maps. The last 227j I tried was more than a year old, maybe two now, its taking long for that patch to come out but I also know why, because there are certain members developing their projects and keep requesting features etc and changed to be made to accomodate them ignoring it will break other things.
EDIT: If anything matches the dilissionedartist/fandumb thing it would have to be FireStorm. Most people don't remember the beginnings but at one point Turboman had it with the fans and wanted to cancel the project on the spot and led me believe it was cancelled until the first trailer rolled out. Well...but then again he did say back then that there are only three choices how the project's going to get out. And since then the project has seen two complete redesigns.
Acoma
Average

Post by Acoma »

hi i reinstalled ut from the 2 goty cds and then updated it to the 469a patch. first impressions were that it felt way better thanks to the new mouse input options and all the sound problems that the old audio drivers had are now gone. i still had some vanishing vertice problems with geometry using the new xopengl, but aside from those xopengl looks and runs fine, just like the old legacy renderer but updated and with no frame rate problems. experimented with dx11 and that also works great with the new patch. something i really like is that the new openal audio driver needed zero setup out of the box since it already had all the reverb settings that i usually set. reverb is also disabled when submerged in water zones, which was a problem i had with the oldunreal openal drivers and in one case a pair of headphones i had were killed by the old underwater reverb while playing unreal 227 coop, so thank you to whoever decided on that. i had been using an experimental gui scaler for unreal 227 that i got off the unrealsp forum and that was a game changer for unreal, 469a also has a gui scaler and when coupled with the new mouse input settings is probably the greatest quality of life improvement since playing ut when it came out. so far the 469a patch is great

i did have some problems trying to install infiltration 2.9, installing it to 469a seems to give me an error where the mod wont start. i havent really trouble shooted it yet but it probably has to do with the mod relying on certain 436 files. i havent tried installing it to 436 and then updating to 469a but if anyone else already knows a fix please tell me

one other thing that i found a little disappointing was that there are still caps on menu items like the limit of custom character models that only allows you to add a certain amount of custom models until some of them start to disappear from the model list, and a limit on how many mutators you can have before some of them disappear as well. i know about xbots and marginally enhanced ut but the problem with these are that xbots doesnt utilize custom skill settings and instead auto balances bots in game (which usually ends up with bots either being really dumb or too difficult). xbots also still suffers from limited model numbers and while marginally enhanced ut uncaps that limit it doesnt affect the lists for xbots. i think there is a workaround for mutator limits such as linking directly to mutator classes from an .ini file but i was hoping there would be an official (or unofficial) fix for these problems.

if you guys ever release a new patch it would be nice if the player/bot/mutator config list had an increased limit so that you could have as many custom player models and mutators as you want and also an ability to configure more than 32 bots similiar to xbots but all within unreal tournament's default bot customization shell.

the 469 patch is really great and i feel like it provides the definitive UT99 experience, if you have unreal tournament then you definitely need the 469 patch! :tu:
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

For me, one disappointment is that the opportunity hasn't been taken (yet anyway) to include the log truncation feature from Higor's MiniLauncher - it's a bit of a pain now to have to wade through multiple identical lines in the UT.log (with some buggy 'things' the log can grow to many MBs).