◄►469 Patch Discussions◄►

Discussions about UT99
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Re: ◄► Unreal Tournament v469a Patch Release ◄►

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

I'm really like whatever about this. Yea native mods etc also broke with the oldunreal 227 patch and still are broken/half working like mcoop's native side (there was meant to be an update to mitigate that in fact I even got permission from Winged but this is so long ago and I didn't know how to support the "227" side properly in ways like jcoopz did so I dropped the update for the time being because it was becoming too much, but if anyone is interested in reinstating that then please contact me.

Some mods indeed have just exe being different with new icon and plus it removes the need of a batch file as such executable will by default take the name of the exe as ini. Of course there might be another behavior tacked in but majority o the new exes are just simple hacks like that so indeed renaming unrealtournament's executable will most likely do the trick. You can also rename it to unreal.exe and have unreal.ini with the unreal paths and settings to play unreal without oldskool etc and use unreal's playerpawns. Hell the ubrowser console is updated as long as the ini is updaed with its entries and it will even feature the irc feature. Just interesting tips.

But either way, some people expected that the patch will remove the download cap that is in place if you don't use redirect and some people can't. Even though connections are way more capable and original Unreal doesn't suffer from the download cap. Some people also want the nontournament weapons to work again online without needing to subclass tournamentweapon, that the support at least should be there and should work online (now it only works if you fast switch through weapons). But I knew this would less likely be fixed, but maybe for next time someone can post/suggest this on github.

EDIT: I'd suggest against removing the timedilation thing though because you cannot fix broken maps anymore if they have been previously set so.
Instead there should be a warning never to use it for mappers as it has no actual effect beause it will always be reset when game starts anyway except of course on net games it will get clients desynced and confused because server reports one thing and client the other. NOT GOOD.
Virgile
Average

Post by Virgile »

Feralidragon wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:00 pm I was going to suggest for you to report the issue you found, but then I found this:
https://github.com/OldUnreal/UnrealTour ... /issues/95
... and this is no way to report an issue, it's not even the proper way to speak with another human being.

You're wrongly assuming that the devs broke OldSkool on purpose or for fun for some reason, and also wrongly assuming that "many people use it", when that's something you cannot really state as a fact, especially when you're the first one having issues with it apparently, and voicing them over, meaning that everyone else doesn't have it installed, or it works for them which could suggest a more isolated problem with your own install or configuration.

So, please, take a step back, calm down, and try to articulate what exactly the problem is, without assuming that the devs acted in bad faith.
You are right, I abused and it is not excusable.
The point is, I am going through an extremely painful period and I explode with anger for nothing, if that is to say my present distress. But I don't have to take it out on people who have nothing to do with it.
Please accept my apologies.
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

That's absolutely fine, and as long as you recognize it yourself and do better next time, all is good, no worries. :tu:

If you're going through something like that now, then I suggest you to do something that you can relax with (UT99 related or not).
Trying this patch may cause you some headaches as of now, so maybe is really best if you stick with the previous version, and once you're better and up to do some experimentation, then you can try out the patch again and report any issues you find.

There's also an event that occurs every Friday where players from this community and others gather to play a few online UT99 friendly matches (very casual stuff), and talk about things and such, so if you're up to it, it may also help you with what you're going through by just joining in the fun.

I don't remember at which time it starts and the server IP, but you can ask around in the ut99.org Discord server or others may fill in the info here or by PM to you, if you're interested.

sektor2111 wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:47 am Yeah... again: go to GitHub...
And again: Me one, NO, I won't go anywhere for one thing, as Leo specified already and Perhaps at GitHub are not needed other 3000 accounts only for ONE thing, UT99.ORG is an UT community not GitHub.
For your info: Github is the de-facto place to go for anything related with software development.
They have all the needed tools to best manage code, bug reports, releases, documentation, and so on, along with their main feature of hosting all the code using Git version control, all things that a forum is not really designed for.

So I strongly suggest you to create an account there and to start to report anything you want there, if you want to be heard.
Otherwise, if all you really want to do is rant about things instead of creating useful reports at the right place, you're free to do so here, but then it's very unlikely that your rants/reports will be looked at all, so your contribution here will be mostly pointless, and you will just be wasting your time writing about things nobody's really gonna read about (at least not the people that matter, like the patch devs).

Furthermore, I also urge you to start to use version control for your own projects, although I am sure you will reject my suggestion entirely (since if you were or wanted to use version control, you would have already a Github account by now and wouldn't be ranting about it). :)

Just saying this for your own good, so if you just want to do things your way, fine, but then you cannot expect anything back.
Raynor
Adept

Post by Raynor »

My preliminary testing shows that there is something seriously off with ClusterAudio music volume on different maps.
DM-Gothic for example has noticeably lower playback volume compared to DM-Pressure or DM-Codex. Galaxy had no such issues.
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

Just nuke everything, go back to playing vanilla unpatched Unreal and UT as well. Yea...we should all do that and run glide emulators and everyything just screw it all ok? Lol just do it

Also thought you were Trent Reznor because I read Reznor instead of Raynor.

But hey didn't you use to play on 3's long ago? The server's still running (or again, more like). Could have been a different guy.
Neon_Knight
Adept

Post by Neon_Knight »

Raynor wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:27 pm My preliminary testing shows that there is something seriously off with ClusterAudio music volume on different maps.
DM-Gothic for example has noticeably lower playback volume compared to DM-Pressure or DM-Codex. Galaxy had no such issues.
This was already reported in Github: https://github.com/OldUnreal/UnrealTour ... /issues/47
It doesn't have the "fixed for v469b" tag, though.
OldUnreal U1v227/UTv469 Localization Project coordinator/spanish language maintainer - Unreal Wiki
ProTip 1: anybody using the phrase "I'm a True Fan and You're Not!" is an obnoxious, self-centered, egotistical, elitist, narcissist douchebag.
ProTip 2: anybody who uses the "Royal We" when making a demand wants to pass their own opinion as everyone else's.
ProTip 3: Only the people that do nothing but criticize don't make mistakes. Do things. Make mistakes. Learn from them. And screw those who do nothing but throw poison and criticize.
ProTip 4: If the Duke Nukem Forever fiasco wasn't enough of a lesson, perfectionism leads to nothing positive. Don't be afraid of releasing a buggy product. Even the most polished product has its flaws.
Raynor
Adept

Post by Raynor »

Leo(T.C.K.) wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:22 pm Just nuke everything, go back to playing vanilla unpatched Unreal and UT as well. Yea...we should all do that and run glide emulators and everyything just screw it all ok? Lol just do it

Also thought you were Trent Reznor because I read Reznor instead of Raynor.

But hey didn't you use to play on 3's long ago? The server's still running (or again, more like). Could have been a different guy.
It's been a while since I joined.

Neon_Knight wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:01 pm This was already reported in Github: https://github.com/OldUnreal/UnrealTour ... /issues/47
It doesn't have the "fixed for v469b" tag, though.
Thanks for pointing it out, then there is hope for a fix.

I found other issues such as duplicate menu entires and weird glitches on some maps (using XOpenGL with default conf)
I made clean just in case, but it still keeps happening.

Additionally I noticed framerate can take noticeable dip during some situations like when you gib foes with combos (could be my aging hardware, but still it's rock solid with Chris Dohnal's OpenGL 3.7)

While this patch has many quality of life improvements, it imho looks too rough for regular use.
Attachments
469a_glitch.png
469a_doubleitems2.png
469a_doubleitems2.png (31.26 KiB) Viewed 1311 times
469a_doubleitems1.png
469a_doubleitems1.png (17.85 KiB) Viewed 1311 times
Neon_Knight
Adept

Post by Neon_Knight »

Raynor wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:49 pm While this patch has many quality of life improvements, it imho looks too rough for regular use.
You will have better luck about seeing what's being fixed for next patches AND getting your concerns by directing them here: https://github.com/OldUnreal/UnrealTour ... hes/issues
OldUnreal U1v227/UTv469 Localization Project coordinator/spanish language maintainer - Unreal Wiki
ProTip 1: anybody using the phrase "I'm a True Fan and You're Not!" is an obnoxious, self-centered, egotistical, elitist, narcissist douchebag.
ProTip 2: anybody who uses the "Royal We" when making a demand wants to pass their own opinion as everyone else's.
ProTip 3: Only the people that do nothing but criticize don't make mistakes. Do things. Make mistakes. Learn from them. And screw those who do nothing but throw poison and criticize.
ProTip 4: If the Duke Nukem Forever fiasco wasn't enough of a lesson, perfectionism leads to nothing positive. Don't be afraid of releasing a buggy product. Even the most polished product has its flaws.
Shrimp
Adept

Post by Shrimp »

Raynor wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:49 pm I found other issues such as duplicate menu entires ...
If you're using Linux, refer to the following: https://github.com/OldUnreal/UnrealTour ... /issues/22

It may be a result of how you made the Linux setup.
ShrimpWorks
Unreal Archive - preserving over 25 years of user-created content for the Unreal series!
gargul2
Average

Post by gargul2 »

Raynor wrote:My preliminary testing shows that there is something seriously off with ClusterAudio music volume on different maps.
Yep, already reported, as already pointed out by Neon_Knight in viewtopic.php?p=123264#p123264
Raynor wrote:Additionally I noticed framerate can take noticeable dip during some situations like when you gib foes with combos (could be my aging hardware, but still it's rock solid with Chris Dohnal's OpenGL 3.7)
Yep, again, already confirmed and reported: https://github.com/OldUnreal/UnrealTour ... /issues/49 It's already labeled as fixed in 469b
Raynor wrote:I found other issues such as duplicate menu entires
Yep, again, already reported and even fixed for 469b: https://github.com/OldUnreal/UnrealTour ... /issues/22
Raynor wrote:and weird glitches on some maps (using XOpenGL with default conf)
I made clean just in case, but it still keeps happening.
Yep, again, already reported, most of them already fixed for 469b: https://github.com/OldUnreal/UnrealTour ... el%3Avideo+
Raynor wrote:While this patch has many quality of life improvements, it imho looks too rough for regular use.
Yep, again, already mentioned, devs even stated so in their bug tracker README: viewtopic.php?p=122780#p122780, everyone awaiting 469b, but it might still require 469c.

We appreciate willingness to help and report bugs, but it seems that such unnecessarily duplicated bug reports will turn this thread into unreadable spamfest soon. People just don't read, just take a look at an example, this bug tracker died several years ago, no matter how many times it was told it's dead and to not report any issues anymore, people still report issues lolz !:
https://github.com/reek/anti-adblock-killer/issues
https://github.com/reek/anti-adblock-killer/issues/4179

"It's a losing battle man, They don't care, they don't read." - it made my day :D
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Mismatch version error and rejection was turned into File-Size mismatch rejection instead of letting player to play using package with a previous generation or simply sending the most wanted file from server directly using that UBER direct files sending speed - like a 436 451 does if redirect is not loved or something is screwed from redirect. Why spamming new "fancy" messages and rejecting player ? This would head the mostly to an empty server especially where redirect it's in other place with another management, with bad files, and admin wants fixed conformed files for his/her server... Is logic that a Gen2 might be different in length from Gen1 because the damn thing has some sanity checks added that's why. And if we talk about different files, server should take control and send the right file to the player - that's why you have a new file channel - for USING IT. Why dropping player ?
Raynor
Adept

Post by Raynor »

Really appreciate everyone for the responses. Lets wait for 469b :)
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

sektor2111 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:50 pm Mismatch version error and rejection was turned into File-Size mismatch rejection instead of letting player to play using package with a previous generation or simply sending the most wanted file from server directly using that UBER direct files sending speed - like a 436 451 does if redirect is not loved or something is screwed from redirect. Why spamming new "fancy" messages and rejecting player ? This would head the mostly to an empty server especially where redirect it's in other place with another management, with bad files, and admin wants fixed conformed files for his/her server... Is logic that a Gen2 might be different in length from Gen1 because the damn thing has some sanity checks added that's why. And if we talk about different files, server should take control and send the right file to the player - that's why you have a new file channel - for USING IT. Why dropping player ?
What do you mean?

In a 469 client, what's supposed to happen whenever a file from the server mismatches the one you have installed, is for the file from the server to be downloaded by the client, and cache it locally, and have the client load that one instead when joining that server, so that both the client and server use the same package version regardless of the exact version the client has originally installed.
Any difference in file size should not affect this whatsoever, it should simply always work.

Do you mean that a 469 client is still being rejected because of a difference in file size?
Could you provide examples and screenshots of this?

Again, if you have reports like this to make, it would be best for you to report them in github instead, otherwise you run the risk of not getting them solved nor seen.
In this case, the subject of package mismatches interests me greatly and that's why I am asking here, otherwise it may as well be another missed report.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Feralidragon wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:35 pm Could you provide examples and screenshots of this?
https://hofgamingclan.com/forums/viewto ... =512#p3463
13240_screenshots_20201011220805_1.jpg
Like I said, normal UT if client is downloading a BAD file or cannot find the right file in redirect, it will gain file from server instead of being REJECTED, this is the most EVIL reaction ever. Rejecting player for an ass when you could simple send the right file.

Previously #1 UT server had some EvilFlak mutator. Replacement was incorrect messing up with "doubleenfocer" trash. Without too much noise I solved code and I conformed another generation for server. Nobody could see or feel anything for months until they installed 469a - CLEAN - and game did a NEW TO ME mismatch file-size not a mismatch version - THIS IS NOT THE DEAL, BOYS ! In end I solved problem by uploading in redirect Generation2 even if client don't need the fixed file, Server was affected by wrong replacement code not client. What if client will simulate 404, I mean desired file is not in redirect, Hey Server, I want the file from YOU, because that one is an XC server and it has that HIGH speed file sending EngineChannelDownload ? This problem is CRITICAL in all ways. Instead of developing "new messages", sending the right file is the WAY TO DO and nothing else. You see ? A simple move in redirect makes server out of people - it's a known situation (right Higor ?...)
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

OK, so what you're saying is that this is a redirect issue, in the sense that if the file in the redirect does not match the file of the server, then this happens.

Yeah, the best course of action here would be indeed to just download the file directly from the server in that case.
Having that said, I remember some conversations around this subject, in the sense that the redirect servers are rather limited because they do not currently send the package GUID beforehand.

There were ideas to have the redirect server send the GUID somewhere first (maybe a header), so that if the GUID of the redirect does not match the GUID of the package in the server, then it could simply be rejected from the start and download from the server instead.
It would be a lot cleaner.