are there any free servers out there

Discussions about UT99
sXs-sketchpad
Experienced

are there any free servers out there

Post by sXs-sketchpad »

hello everybody just wanted to ask something long shot possibly i dont have much money at the moment i was looking around and asking here are there any free servers out there i know i can use my own computer to run a dedicated server im not very good at that sort of thing any ideas welcome im looking to run a sniper type server any help would be appriciated thanks
esnesi
Godlike
Personal rank: Dialed in.

Re: are there any free servers out there

Post by esnesi »

sxshank marvin wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:50 pm hello everybody just wanted to ask something long shot possibly i dont have much money at the moment i was looking around and asking here are there any free servers out there i know i can use my own computer to run a dedicated server im not very good at that sort of thing any ideas welcome im looking to run a sniper type server any help would be appriciated thanks
Best thing to use if you're not really good at that sort of things to start a server from scratch, is to use Gameservers.com or NFO.
They can provide you a webinterface UT99 server session with a start/stop button, which is already configured.
You do have to connect through FTP though to move the files you want over at your server.

https://www.gameservers.com/game_server ... server.php
https://www.nfoservers.com/order.php

Not any service is free on the web ;)
The only way to have it ''free'' is to host it yourself.
For example on a laptop which demands less power consumption, or better > a smallformfactor desktop, but these cost money.
Allthough you still pay for energy costs.

Check here if you're interested in hosting yourself:
http://mistrealm.com/UT/UTServerBuild.html
sXs-sketchpad
Experienced

Post by sXs-sketchpad »

thanks for your reply very helpfull
esnesi
Godlike

Post by esnesi »

sxshank marvin wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:49 pm thanks for your reply very helpfull
You're welcome!
Let us know if you face any problems with setting things up :)
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

@esnesi CGNAT nowadays makes it impossible to host UT. Even if IPv6 solves that, the latter is out of question, even if v469 is already out. v436/v451 are still a massive playerbase obviously, and it will take a good while till people not only trust v469 but also use it as their regular UT version.
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
esnesi
Godlike

Post by esnesi »

Gustavo6046 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:26 pm @esnesi CGNAT nowadays makes it impossible to host UT. Even if IPv6 solves that, the latter is out of question, even if v469 is already out. v436/v451 are still a massive playerbase obviously, and it will take a good while till people not only trust v469 but also use it as their regular UT version.
Maybe Europe has an advantage here.
I know a few guys around EU who host servers at home.

My public IP (v4) only changes when i change from ISP.
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

Unless someone willing to give you a box/server for free to manage at their own expenses, I don't know anything that is close enough to be free that last for more than a week.

There has been a few server provider that may let you test out on their system for 2 days for free, other time I request to take up like a week to be sure.

The only thing that come close enough is to rent a cheap VDS/VPS, I'm renting one for $5 a month and it's fine. It's all matter of knowing how to set up the OS and then the UT server on that. Maybe more/less with firewall settings, and libraries that are needed like linux os. Like Vultr, DIgitalOcean, etc.

The downside I have is that the $5 rented VDS I got is hosted in GA and their network is pretty bad. Much more lag and not suited for competition or regular gameplay if anyone care so much about score/frags/etc. but I will assume that the network in the Euros are much better by a big wide margin and better off there.
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
$carface
Skilled

Post by $carface »

Our dedi is much unused these days, could hook you up. what type of sever were you thinking of hosting?
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

esnesi wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:33 pm I know a few guys around EU who host servers at home.
Those are the lucky ones. Europe was on the Internet game since quite early on, and many of them either port forward on their NAT or don't use NAT at all. I have a friend from Europe who home-hosted games to play with me, he just switched off the router, et tadaa.
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction