UnrealEd Mouse Control Issues

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
1337GameDev
Skilled
Personal rank: GameDev

UnrealEd Mouse Control Issues

Post by 1337GameDev »

I currently have an odd problem with trying to navigate anything in viewports.

I want to move a brush, select an object, surface, etc the editor seems to incorrectly handle my inputs.

If i right click something, it moves the camera slightly, and instead of selecting it brings up a context menu. If i shift+l click it sometimes deselects/selects something, but usually it selects then deselects it right away, or vice versa.

When attempting to move something, or navigate with the camera, i select something with a left click, which fails, and then I can ONLY select it with a right click but only around 25% of the time, or it will select+deselect it right away.

When something is selected and I want to move it, I hold left mouse, and it move the mouse and it moves really fast in an uncertain direction. My mouse sensitivity isn't very high.

When trying to free move the 3d viewport's camera, If i hold left click and move, it rotates the camera very fast. If I move the mouse in the opposite direction, it continues to move, and does NOT switch directions like I expect.

Holding right click lets me look around and free fly with the camera. Once I release, it brings up a context menu...

If i try to move an item while holding shift, it slides one way... and switching mouse direction doesn't make the object move back...

I'm not sure what's going on, as I remember using UnrealEd in the past and it wasn't this finicky.

Any ideas?
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Re: UnrealEd Mouse Control Issues

Post by Hellkeeper »

Are you using a D3D Renderer in UnrealEd 2.2 with patch 469 on Windows 10? If you are, use OpenGl ad D3D is inexplicable terrible in UnrealEd on W10. Inputs are messed up and the mouse's behaviour erratic.
You must construct additional pylons.
1337GameDev
Skilled

Post by 1337GameDev »

Hmm, how would I change the renderer for UEd? I believe I am using D3D.

EDIT:
I found out I can right click any viewport, and select the renderer there.

For some reason the direct3d11 renderer crashes the editor....
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Use,,

http://www.cwdohnal.com/utglr/

For the game. and read more stuff to install.

The editor is separate using software driver.
Binary Space Partitioning
Hellkeeper
Inhuman

Post by Hellkeeper »

1337GameDev wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:27 am For some reason the direct3d11 renderer crashes the editor....
I recommend using OpenGl or XOpenGl. They are the most stable and working renderers. You can also use Software wich works fine but looks weird with the unfiltered look (I personally still use software out of habit)
Red_Fist wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:34 am The editor is separate using software driver.
With patch 469, the editor can use other renderers along with software and D3D. :wink:
1337GameDev
Skilled

Post by 1337GameDev »

Hellkeeper wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:34 am
1337GameDev wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:27 am For some reason the direct3d11 renderer crashes the editor....
I recommend using OpenGl or XOpenGl. They are the most stable and working renderers. You can also use Software wich works fine but looks weird with the unfiltered look (I personally still use software out of habit)
Red_Fist wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:34 am The editor is separate using software driver.
With patch 469, the editor can use other renderers along with software and D3D. :wink:
I updated my open gl renderer and the editor still crashes when selecting any opengl. Not sure if it's because the editor is running in win10 inside parallels on mac catalina.

Using direct3d or software had odd mouse behavior.

If I hold left click and move the mouse, the camera in that view rotates on one direction (regardless of mouse movement).

If I hold right click, I can control the direction of panning, but it has a long lag and takes extra movement for it to finally moved in that direction.

It's odd. Trying to select anything, such as a brush / actor doesn't work. Holding ctrl or shift rotates or moves things erratically, and ONLY in one direction regardless of mouse direction.

I don't know what's going on or how to even find other info to figure it out. It seems related to the renderer as behavior slightly differs between software or d3d vs opengl (when it decides to work).
anth
Adept

Post by anth »

1337GameDev wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:49 pm I updated my open gl renderer and the editor still crashes when selecting any opengl. Not sure if it's because the editor is running in win10 inside parallels on mac catalina.

If I hold left click and move the mouse, the camera in that view rotates on one direction (regardless of mouse movement).

If I hold right click, I can control the direction of panning, but it has a long lag and takes extra movement for it to finally moved in that direction.

It's odd. Trying to select anything, such as a brush / actor doesn't work. Holding ctrl or shift rotates or moves things erratically, and ONLY in one direction regardless of mouse direction.

I don't know what's going on or how to even find other info to figure it out. It seems related to the renderer as behavior slightly differs between software or d3d vs opengl (when it decides to work).
Have you tried Wine?
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

The other thing is if you are using some mouse software that loads.
1337GameDev
Skilled

Post by 1337GameDev »

anth wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:53 pm
1337GameDev wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:49 pm I updated my open gl renderer and the editor still crashes when selecting any opengl. Not sure if it's because the editor is running in win10 inside parallels on mac catalina.

Have you tried Wine?
Yes. It's a giant pain. I then tried WineHQ Winery, for a wine wrapper, and it worked, but was another pain to access any filesystem or manipulate anything for development work. So it's not really a good option.
1337GameDev
Skilled

Post by 1337GameDev »

Red_Fist wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:48 pm The other thing is if you are using some mouse software that loads.
I don't know of any extra mouse software.

This issue ONLY happens in unreal editor.... and not in-game.

Something about the renderer and how it interprets mouse controls seems suspect...

The most obnoxious issue is trying to select something. Left clicking to select something moves the camera slightly and fails to select something. Holding left click makes the camera rotate and move around oddly....It's impossible to control.

If I right click and hold, and THEN left click and let go of right click, it works as expected, but i cannot then select anything, move something, rotate objects, etc.

What's going on? I'm stumped... :/
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

I lean towards the mouse is the problem.

Like if there is some funky windows hot keys going on or something like that.

I say that because you ARE getting some result while clicking in the editor. So it seems like some other thing is taking over the mouse. Also U-ED has a lot of hotkeys, if it is the render-er go in and change some settings in the INI Software and see if it makes a difference.
Hellkeeper
Inhuman

Post by Hellkeeper »

Are there control/rendering problems in the game too?
1337GameDev
Skilled

Post by 1337GameDev »

Red_Fist wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:05 am I lean towards the mouse is the problem.

Like if there is some funky windows hot keys going on or something like that.

I say that because you ARE getting some result while clicking in the editor. So it seems like some other thing is taking over the mouse. Also U-ED has a lot of hotkeys, if it is the render-er go in and change some settings in the INI Software and see if it makes a difference.
Ive tried this with many mice, and the trackpad (it's a laptop).

And what settings would i change? I dont know which would affect mouse input?
1337GameDev
Skilled

Post by 1337GameDev »

Hellkeeper wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:10 am Are there control/rendering problems in the game too?
Nope. The game always renders fine.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Maybe try turning off windows mouse acceleration (or whatever OS settings you have) then set the mouse a little faster.

Try 1024 by 768 resolution, see if anything happens.

just guessing.................