NaliCows...

Discussions about UT99
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

NaliCows...

Post by EvilGrins »

...so I've noted the cows can give birth, there's an option that allows them to produce baby cows.

But can the baby cows grow up to be adult cows which, in turn, can give birth to more baby cows?
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Re: NaliCows...

Post by Chamberly »

I had not seen any code related to baby cow to grow into big cow to continue the cycle unless I'm missing something... other than a random built-in script that made the changes.
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:56 am But can the baby cows grow up to be adult cows ...
Growing creatures is an interesting concept - don't know if it is possible as I don't recall seeing anything like that. Not sure how useful it would be, if it were possible, as in most maps one wouldn't know or realise that a monster had grown. I suppose one could have a factory that spawned monsters slowly and they got spawned slightly bigger, healthier and more powerful over time.
hee
Experienced

Post by hee »

I did not see that, but i have seen the nali fruit grow.

As an aside, the last time I played with nali cows on the map (about 14), they were all dead within 3 minutes...and they were not being targeted. It was just collateral damage. It was rather sad actually.

Perhaps one should put 14 warlords on a map. They at least have a fighting chance.
TexasGtar
Adept

Post by TexasGtar »

You guys have too much time to think about these scenarios.
Here is a solution. Everytime a cow dies, it explodes into multiple cows.
Who wants to wait for them to grow up?

And no, I have no clue how to make that happen.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

OjitroC wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:00 pmGrowing creatures is an interesting concept - don't know if it is possible as I don't recall seeing anything like that.
In the case of cows it allows for baby cows to become adult cows and birth more baby cows. Theoretically useful if you've got people killing cows so they'll have more targets.

I don't know that I've ever seen it in a summonable monster, but I have seen it in a monster mutator · https://unreal-games.livejournal.com/94350.html
TexasGtar wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:33 amHere is a solution. Everytime a cow dies, it explodes into multiple cows.
Thunderbolt made a map once with Titans that did that. I've got the .u for them somewhere.
TexasGtar
Adept

Post by TexasGtar »

EvilGrins wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:54 am
Thunderbolt made a map once with Titans that did that. I've got the .u for them somewhere.
Of course you do. lol

I think its a cool idea anyway. Just having a little fun with you.
I hope you figure out how to do what you want.
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

The key of what you want to do should be in that mutator and actually I've seen it implemented in the Shadow Warrior-like bunny mod before, those rabbits also grow. If you ask me for the download link I dunno but it was a mod made later on by ageukkeli and skw.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:54 am I don't know that I've ever seen it in a summonable monster, but I have seen it in a monster mutator
With that mutator, the pupae don't actually grow as there are two sizes spawned but the eggs do produce more pupae. Interestingly the mutator has spawners for other monsters like mercs and titans which, I suppose, one could place in a map though I'm sure what advantage, if any, that would have over the normal way of spawning monsters.
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

Ah well, though it can be implemented still and as I said the only time I've seen realtime monster growing implemented was I believe that rabbit mod.
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

TexasGtar wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:33 am Here is a solution. Everytime a cow dies, it explodes into multiple cows.
Who wants to wait for them to grow up?
Me. :loool:
I will kill these cows until server not crash. xD

And imagine if Cow split to 10 cows. I kill one. Get 10 new.
Kill these 10 (with sniper - it is easy task) and now get 100. Now I fire with redemeer. :satan:
Now we have 1000 cows and all goes to hell.
But if anyone fire with another redemeer...
There must be 10000 cows...
But I think there will be server crash. :lol2:
Eternity
Skilled

Post by Eternity »

There are modified ScriptedPawn classes used by some maps that do similar things, in some cases this causes serious problem for the servers...
For example - a modified Gasbag that spawns a Pupae instead of Projectile, with no spawn count limit (fortunately, Pupae does not "grow up" into a Gasbag spawning a Pupae...).
In order to prevent possible accidents we either fix such classes (by adding a limit) or do replace them.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Medor was looking out and supplied this · http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/foru ... f=51&t=307

Egads!
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Leo(T.C.K.) wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:33 am The key of what you want to do should be in that mutator and actually I've seen it implemented in the Shadow Warrior-like bunny mod before, those rabbits also grow. If you ask me for the download link I dunno but it was a mod made later on by ageukkeli and skw.
EG beat me to it - however that mod is also available at the Mods download section at NewbiesPlayground.

The female rabbits grow when pregnant and seem to explode when giving birth but I'm not sure if they die or merely return to their original size.

Not sure how useful they are unless one wants loads of rabbits to kill, not that there's a point in killing rabbits.