CTF-UTDMW-CrystalRocks

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

CTF-UTDMW-CrystalRocks

Post by EvilGrins »

In any given CTF map there's a few things I look for, but the biggest one is the playability of the bots. Because I don't play online as much as many others do so I need bots that can provide me a good challenge as well as potentially win the game. Not that I think there's a vast conspiracy or anything of mappers that design maps where bots can't do that great a job but I do find a lot of maps that seem designed, by overlooked gaps in pathing or a general non-fondness for bots, to prevent bots from scoring any flag captures.

I've added Warlords to this map for every color of raw crystal displayed (Terraniux made this map and he likes crystals) and though this isn't a CTF4 map there is a Yellow Warlord and a Green one too. Adds an additional challenge for their unpredictability as they make war on each other as well as everyone else on the map. Plus, depending on how things go, they often wind up far out of shooting range but firing at each other high above where players are and that's kinda pretty.

Map has a lot of jump-pads though it isn't a w00t map; think the qualifier for w00t is an INSANE NUMBER of jump pads. It's a sizable playing area of floating bases and a center island in space. Nelsona fixed the pathing so bots actually can score points, though admittedly playing standard 2 team games with 4 players to a team was enough of a challenge before with all the combat going on in there.

Usual Suspects:
.u - /system
.umx - /music
.unr - /maps

Enjoy!
http://www.mediafire.com/file/yt29kfvp2 ... lRocks.zip
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
OjitroC
Godlike

Re: CTF-UTDMW-CrystalRocks

Post by OjitroC »

Is that version 1 or version 2 of Terraniux's map?

The readme for version 2 has some hints on how to play the map - pity you didn't include that.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

EvilGrins wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:46 pm Not that I think there's a vast conspiracy or anything of mappers that design maps where bots can't do that great a job but I do find a lot of maps that seem designed, by overlooked gaps in pathing or a general non-fondness for bots, to prevent bots from scoring any flag captures.
A short explanation is more simple than any theory. Some times people are not understanding simple things, pathing it's one of them.
What was bugged ? Flags... exactly, just like that. TrashLord aka MapGarbage shows this in seconds before wasting time in testing map with Bots.

Flags have a funky design which no CTF mapper takes in account. It's not only bigger than it has to be, but "design" fantasies are ruining game and nothing like an Evil force from hell. It's just plain wrong mapping. Flags can be adjusted POST-PATHING like other simple moves, I lie, not simple but extremely simple. If you have a clue what PrePivot is, design goes easier and map playable by everyone. And why not ? You don't pay for doing settings.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

OjitroC wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:26 pmThe readme for version 2 has some hints on how to play the map - pity you didn't include that.
Given it's a fairly straightforward map, I don't see why one would be necessary. Although I don't know that I ever had the ReadMe.

He had a development thread on some other forum, might've been Hermskii's, and when he finally said "This is the last version" I took that.

After Checking ReadMe from UnrealArchives: All it says is "The trick of the map is to use the the jumpers and crystal rock formations most efficient as possible."

That's kinda vague.

Also says not to use turbo, which makes no sense to me. I always play in Turbo.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:45 am Also says not to use turbo, which makes no sense to me. I always play in Turbo.
Well, he says use turbo at your own risk, which may or may not be a joke. Perhaps he thought (or found) that with Turbo the jumppads (or kickers in the first version) might throw one too far. I think I did have a problem with the kickers in the first version, possibly not getting thrown far enough or having to hit them in exactly the right spot to get thrown and land without self-damage (or, indeed, to land on the central 'island' at all).