fake "Dynamics" shadows again..

Discussions about Coding and Scripting
sektor2111
Godlike

Re: fake "Dynamics" shadows again..

Post by sektor2111 »

Eh, and net stuff doesn't mean running things only in their target environment, this means more than that. Here were some Sprite Doom pawns around, dropped in public with ZERO net codes but that's another chapter. For lightning, I made things visible in clients by adding one single actor in server which was ordering X lights in client, decorations, etc. Adding actors in server just for the sake of following "replication rules", ancient concepts, it's not exactly how do I want my work now days.
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

I have to agree with sektor though myleveing each case is far from ideal.

What Doom Pawns? Didn't you mean that wolf3d tc? That's a port from version 220 of Unreal and indeed it doesn't have replication but I didn't update or fix up that mod, I just wanted people to be able to play it finally.
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Leo(T.C.K.) wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:07 pmI just wanted people to be able to play it finally.
While I do appreciate the intention, and do completely utterly agree that enemies from early id titles would be pretty fun to gib with shock combos, I think that's never a valid reason to rush something out.

"People REALLY want to be able to have a Fallout experience together, so we decided to hurry the multiplayer project's development time into just a few weeks."

or

"It seems that everybody REALLY likes the trading aspect of our Steam platform, so let's allow other companies to produce a large volume of games to expand the realm of possibilities with more items and other commodities! No need to be big hit games, just more reasons to consider trading in Steam."

(note: those aren't real quotes, but rather valid examples of why demand shall not equate to necessity for hurry)
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

I haven't made that mod. I ported an old mod that was basically lost from the times of internet. What kind of rushing are you talking about? I just made sure it behaves the same like the original mod of which it might not have been even the last version of!
Daewon
Novice

Post by Daewon »

hello everyone. I'm working on a separate class that includes LightPath, the new FluidMesh with random anims, TerrainMeshComponent for making large scale terrain, for collision is used prefabed low poly semi-solids (prefabs level included) , SpecialDMesh support mover collision brush(some code used from destructibles, there was code for mover collision). All of which can be large scale, without disappearing and of course net compatible.

The next thing is TrafficSpawner - (it's in the early stages, I'll post to forum) and it displays random vehicles like cars from the CityIntro level. Vehicles also changes their way and stop's (if players block way), support of controlled crossroads etc. but it will be hell to make it net compatible.

to LightPath. new version doesn't crash editor (Light brightness is set in separate byte, so in editor brightness is turned off) and maybe i will try to use Touch function (projectile check) on the active light on the client side to break the chain and turn off first start light of same chain. first light of chain replicate to server bool and server would send a bool to other clients to break the light chain, perhaps ..
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

The terrain mesh sounds cool. There are many ways to make terrain but none of it is as straightforward as the Unreal Warfare (aka Unreal engine 2) stuff. There also isn't a direct way to convert the terrain from those games although I heard of one that is complicated and doesn't work with all versions.

I also wonder if real dynamic water is possible on the unmodified engine without native code. I've only seen and used switchable water zones but not ones that can dynamically raise. However I remember your xmesh which I used on unreal psx rework to support non disappearing scaled meshes. Maybe a collision field like the xmesh used (not really a collision but still) can be used for some dynamic water "volume" that can move anywhere.

Well if there were already ladderzones that are no longer zones but collision actors, the water thing could be pulled off too I guess.
Gustavo6046
Godlike

Post by Gustavo6046 »

I mean the rushing of porting. But I appreciate that you ported it anyways! Better than having nothing :P
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

There was no rushing, I ported it the exact way it used to work or almost so, the mod was unfinished it was an alpha. And the only version that apparently survived thanks to that CD. It was never meant for online play or anything. If you want that you should create your own classes based on the old ones.

You should look at the rushed porting of "conquer the base" by casey. That is rushed as he didn't even check if it even ran... That mod crashes if you try to run it and he "ruined" the maps too by reimporting them from t3d for some reason. Now the original mod is even lost as the only surviving version used to be on fileplanet.

Lol and not to mention all the models have been reimported by first exporting them in utpt or something so they are corrupted too and have the rough edges.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Leo(T.C.K.) wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:48 pm There was no rushing, I ported it the exact way it used to work or almost so, the mod was unfinished it was an alpha. And the only version that apparently survived thanks to that CD. It was never meant for online play or anything.
I doubt if Gusto has tried the mod so probably has little idea about it - it was obvious to me anyway that the port was not rushed and that the original mod was not intended for online play. He has a penchant for derailing threads and now this one is nothing to do with the original topic but has morphed into a discussion about an unrelated mod.
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

Funny, let's go back on the topic then, I mean Daewon has come back finally so let's discuss that.
Gustavo6046
Godlike

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Yeah. I wasn't really talking about the dynamic shadows one - that one is gorgeous as ever -, nor picking on Leo or anything. Honestly this derail was a bit weird and sudden lol, and probably uncalled for too. Let's go back at staring at lamps, shall we?

Weapon of Destruction
Daewon
Novice

Post by Daewon »

TrafficSpawner, the early stages..
Koolflux
Experienced

Post by Koolflux »

That's actually pretty cool. Had no idea that UT was capable of creating an effect like that.
"I am the Alpha and the Omega." ~Xan Kriegor
Gustavo6046
Godlike

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Daewon wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:56 am TrafficSpawner [...]
That's super cool! Double kudos for the Need for Speed Underground 2 soundtrack too :D

Weapon of Destruction