UMOD extractor release

Share interesting stuff you have found or created yourself.
UT Sniper (SJA94)
Inhuman
Personal rank: Retard

UMOD extractor release

Post by UT Sniper (SJA94) »

I made a basic umod extractor for ut written in javascript.

Demo video
NRiEup2e9WE

Download: https://github.com/scottadkin/umod-extr ... es/tag/1.0

Github: https://github.com/scottadkin/umod-extractor

Requirements
- Node.js

How To Install
To directly unpack to the correct folders:

- Place contents of archive into your Unreal Tournament main directory. e.g C:/UnrealTournament/
- You can also place the package anywhere else if you don't want to directly place the extracted files into their respective folders.

How To Run

- Open command prompt in the installed directory.
- Type: node app filename to unpack a single package, note you don't add the file extension.
- Type node app filename, filename2, filename3 to unpack multiple files.
[rev]rato.skt
Adept

Re: UMOD extractor release

Post by [rev]rato.skt »

great job, :gj: :gj: :gj:

it would be better with interface for more lay people :oops: :oops:
Brazilian Server:
Alma Negra - 34.95.189.187:7777
Classic - madruga.utbr.cf:7777
Duel - x1.utbr.cf:6666
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

This is very interesting indeed!

If I were you I wouldn't really use Node.JS to write this. Then again I probably wouldn't use it for most desktop applications (maybe I would for backend servers or something). JavaScript does make programming a lot more accessible than, say, C and C++, and the shenanigans involved with writing in those languages. There are other options, though. Nim is a good middle ground, it can both be compiled to a binary executable form and transpiled to JS, C and/or C++; and it is simple to write in, and has a concise syntax (unlike, say, the Rust language).

With that little observation out of the way, I will check the program and test it for you! If I find it has enough potential, I might even write some sort of interface for it. Although, given that this is Node.JS, it might not be a desktop GUI. (Electron sucks major butt.) Then again, a web-based interface (or even any interface at all) feels like it would be awkward for this kind of simple operation. This feels like an Unix tool, in a good sense -- do one thing, and do it well! I' think it'd be much more convenient for lay users and power users alike if it was a kind of shortcut (e.g. by registering a context menu action on Windows with the Explorer API, or via dbus or something on Linux).

EDIT: Upon a quick search I found NodeGui, which is a very interesting solution indeed. I will look into it later. I fear that this is probably kind of irrelevant at this point, though.
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Yes, it needs an interface and one that shows the content of the umod so the user can decide whether they want to extract all the files (so, for example, there may be jpgs/bmps that aren't that useful or, where the umod contains maps, the user may not want/need every map, perhaps already having some of them).

It also helps to be able to read any readme or other txt files so that the user can decide if the content of the umod is actually of use to them (in those cases where the umod name does not fully or properly describe the content).

Certainly, from my point of view, having control over what is extracted and where it is extracted to are factors of critical importance in deciding which umod extractor to use.
[rev]rato.skt
Adept

Post by [rev]rato.skt »

hi guys,

could consider these programs as well, as they are essential...

UMODWIZARDv240, UT Map Manager 1.5, UTCacheCleaner3, UTCachedFileManager....

are very old needed a renovation....

or even make a single program with all these functions :rock: :rock:
Brazilian Server:
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

OjitroC wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:59 pm Yes, it needs an interface and one that shows the content of the umod so the user can decide whether they want to extract all the files (so, for example, there may be jpgs/bmps that aren't that useful or, where the umod contains maps, the user may not want/need every map, perhaps already having some of them).
There already is a program that does just that. I hope it doesn't make this project redundant. It's always fun to write software to do something, and it's also a good learning experience, no matter how overdone it is!
[rev]rato.skt wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:16 pm [...] or even make a single program with all these functions :rock: :rock:
This is something I'm seriously considering.
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
UT Sniper (SJA94)
Inhuman
Personal rank: Retard

Post by UT Sniper (SJA94) »

Didn't know about nodeGUI will have a look at it.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Gustavo6046 wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:17 pm There already is a program that does just that. I hope it doesn't make this project redundant. It's always fun to write software to do something, and it's also a good learning experience, no matter how overdone it is!
Err, yes, I know - there's more than one actually - I normally run UMODTOOL but I also I have UmodBrowser. My suggestions on what a umod extractor requires are based on my experience of using those tools. I can only go on to concur totally with the points you make on the OP's project.

A tool with the functionality suggested by [rev[rato.skt would be good.
[rev]rato.skt
Adept

Post by [rev]rato.skt »

Hi,

forgot to quote, WOTgrealExporter2 ChocoPackageEdit , UTSkinMaker 2.4.1
Brazilian Server: