Soccer in UT

Discussions about GameTypes
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Soccer in UT

Post by EvilGrins »

This · https://unrealarchive.org/gametypes/unr ... index.html

I've known about this a long time but I'd never played it before yesterday.

Fairly basic situation: There's 2 goals, 1 for each team. Listed as Red & Blue. Players knock the ball around and into the goals.
It's fairly basic soccer, or futbol for those that call it that.

Problems:
· Even though there's only 2 teams the game loads up all 4 team colors, and there's nothing in the setup to limit it to 2 teams.

If you have 8 players, 4 of them are on the green and yellow teams. 4 players, 2 are on green and yellow.

There's not a lot to configure with, and it doesn't generate an .ini file to fix manually. Haven't looked yet to see if it put something in the User.ini file.

· There are no weapons, so also no transloc. Which isn't a bad thing, per se... except when the ball goes somewhere that you can't easily access it.

· I've tested the game with bots but they don't seem to have a clear idea what to do with the ball. More often than not, when a score is made it's often by a bot on the wrong team.

Image Image
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
OjitroC
Godlike

Re: Soccer in UT

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:00 pm ... there's nothing in the setup to limit it to 2 teams.... 4 players, 2 are on green and yellow.

There's not a lot to configure with, and it doesn't generate an .ini file to fix manually. Haven't looked yet to see if it put something in the User.ini file.
Yeah, I've never played it before either - fun once you get used to it. Was on the red team and didn't realise I had to score in the red goal!!

Not sure why you get green and yellow teams - I played with 3 bots and had red and blue teams.

It puts stuff in the Unreal Tournament.ini like this - perhaps you need to ensure MaxTeams=2.
Spoiler
[Soccer.SoccerMatch]
bReverseGoals=False
bNoTeamChanges=False
FriendlyFireScale=0.000000
MaxTeams=2
GoalTeamScore=3.000000
MaxTeamSize=16
FragLimit=0
TimeLimit=5
bMultiWeaponStay=True
bForceRespawn=False
bUseTranslocator=False
MaxCommanders=0
bNoMonsters=False
bHumansOnly=False
bCoopWeaponMode=False
bClassicDeathMessages=False
MinFOV=80.000000
MaxFOV=130.000000
MaxNameChanges=0
esnesi
Godlike
Personal rank: Dialed in.

Post by esnesi »

Deepu went along with it a while ago
http://forum.ultimateut.tk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=996
--> Fixed match ending timer
--> Fixed GoalTeamScore bug
--> Fixed TimeLimit bug
--> Fixed overtime bug
--> Added original Football hit & kick sounds
--> Fixed country flag bug
--> Fixed soccer camera, Players not able rotate the camera while goal break time :P
--> Improved bot codes
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

I tried the revised version. Got a couple of these entries in the log : "ScriptLog: #3 BORK!!! Olga won't roam !!!." (Olga is a bot). No idea what it means (so not very useful)!
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

OjitroC wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:56 pmIt puts stuff in the Unreal Tournament.ini like this - perhaps you need to ensure MaxTeams=2.
Just checked, mine said "MaxTeams=4".
Shrimp
Adept

Post by Shrimp »

esnesi wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:18 am --> Fixed match ending timer
--> Fixed TimeLimit bug
--> Fixed overtime bug
Weirdly these issues all seem present though. The matches never end on your server for some reason :loool:
ShrimpWorks
Unreal Archive - preserving over 25 years of user-created content for the Unreal series!
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

esnesi wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:18 amDeepu went along with it a while ago
Seems to work both better and not, bots run around a lot less than in the earlier version.

Better score board, though.
Attachments
Shot0001.png
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:25 am
esnesi wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:18 amDeepu went along with it a while ago
Seems to work both better and not, bots run around a lot less than in the earlier version.
Yes, from my handful of games with 3 bots and me using the new version, it seems that one bot tends to dominate play having the ball most of the time. Ironically MBots seem to do worse than default bots. Still it's something different and an interesting diversion from the normal UT play.

It's a pity that the code in the latest version is obfuscated so it is not easy to read - not sure of the point of that when the original wasn't obfuscated - it hardly helps people who want to study the code and possibly learn something - it's simply protecting a modified version of somebody else's unprotected code.

I was looking for the class where the log entry "ScriptLog: #3 BORK!!! Olga won't roam !!!." is but couldn't find it - can anybody who knows the code enlighten me, particularly about where it is and what it means?

What's the 'best' way to set the game up? A goal limit and no time limit or no goal limit and a time limit? Having both a goal and a time limit merely means the game runs until the time runs out.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

I've been running 10 minute games with a score set for 8. Seems to work okay.

The one bot thing to a team doing the most is in the upgrade, the original version they were all after the ball eagerly... now they mostly clump and wait.
Last edited by EvilGrins on Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:40 pm I've been running 10 minute games with a score set for 8. Seems to work okay.

The one bot thing to a team doing the most is in the upgrade, the original version they were all after the ball eagerly... not they mostly clump and wait.
I'll give that a go - and probably go back to the original as well!
esnesi
Godlike
Personal rank: Dialed in.

Post by esnesi »

Shrimp wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:17 am
esnesi wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:18 am --> Fixed match ending timer
--> Fixed TimeLimit bug
--> Fixed overtime bug
Weirdly these issues all seem present though. The matches never end on your server for some reason :loool:
They do sometimes for a magical reason, played a fullgame on last FFN.
http://stats.xjon.me/match?id=4107 (dont mind the point handling though)
But haven't dug into it yet.
btw, check your discord PMs! ;p
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

The only problem in going back to the original is that both versions have the same file name (the newer, modified version having been conformed) and so one can only go by the file creation date, which is not always a reliable guide (depending on how it was downloaded, the OS, etc). It would surely have been better all round (and easier for users) just to add a version number to the file name?
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

I don't know you, but I root for Red SC. They got some pretty good players - although that dumb-ass Alys would probably be much better as a reserve - and tend to know how to deploy their strategy on the field. They know the value of a good game plan but aren't afraid of veering off ever-so-slightly when new circumstances arise. They got good forwards who can pretty reliably score the opponent goal without breaking a sweat, except for Tamerlane who's just a little bit behind, although it'd be unfair to call him "bad" as he has scored some meaty goals of his own as well. The administration has been a little flimsy lately, replacing the team coach again and again, but it's not like this hasn't happened before -- I feel like they're going to settle back on the first one by the time it's over! It's like a personality disorder, I guess.

Then again, given my past history with UT, I might be a little biased, right? After all, red team best team.
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

OjitroC wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:11 pm I was looking for the class where the log entry "ScriptLog: #3 BORK!!! Olga won't roam !!!." is but couldn't find it - can anybody who knows the code enlighten me, particularly about where it is and what it means?
It's here:

Code: Select all

Prebegin:
	if (health <= 0)
	{
		log ("#1 BORK!!! "$Self.GetHumanName()$" won't roam !!!.");
		GotoState ('Dying');
	}
Begin:
	if (health <= 0)
	{
		log ("#2 BORK!!! "$Self.GetHumanName()$" won't roam !!!.");
		GotoState ('Dying');
	}
	if ( Health >= 1 && ( ( !bBlockActors || !bCollideActors ) && MoveTarget != None ) )
	{
		log ("#3 BORK!!! "$Self.GetHumanName()$" won't roam !!!.");
		MoveTarget = None; //see here that crap
		Level.Game.RestartPlayer(Self);
	}
This means a BAD TIMING happening in various heavy loads, a PickDestination called too late, and so on - UE1 has its bubbles at states. MBot has an attempt to REJECT UE1 specific delayed calls - trash function calls, somehow...
These were wrapping a bit "magic" stuff happening in maps with 2000+ monsters... The rest of animations tiny issues are hard hunt for me, I'm expecting some other explanations and perhaps I'll solve those things too...
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

sektor2111 wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:49 pm This means a BAD TIMING happening in various heavy loads, a PickDestination called too late, and so on - UE1 has its bubbles at states. MBot has an attempt to REJECT UE1 specific delayed calls - trash function calls, somehow...
Oh, so it's in the code for MBot and not Soccer? Given that it happens in soccer matches with only 3 other participants (me and 2 other bots), then presumably it's more likely to be due to a PickDestination called too late than anything else?

I don't remember ever seeing it before even when I used MBots extensively.