FOT V (Fate Of Time) [+ Discussion about UT's liveliness]

Share interesting stuff you have found or created yourself.
editor Dave
Inhuman
Personal rank: Passionate SP Mapper

FOT V (Fate Of Time) [+ Discussion about UT's liveliness]

Post by editor Dave »

It's only one download, but I didn't find it in the download list and it's also a great mappack, so here's the link ;)

http://www.unrealplayground.com/forums/ ... le&id=7218
Last edited by editor Dave on Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
10-Year Anniversary on Jun 08, 2019.
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Re: FOT V (Fate Of Time)

Post by Creavion »

Yearh right, we didnt have it in the download list yet, but the sad truth is, nearly nobody cares for that pack, although it is great, specially Revs AS. Look at utzone.. the pack is upped.. but no news.. it is not upped on beyondunreal filework yet.. I hate it to say but it is true.. ut is generally in the deathbed, not only ut1... The communtiy is shrinking like hell.
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
GenMoKai
Godlike
Personal rank: Mapper

Post by GenMoKai »

Well maybe, but i think also a big cause is that Nalicity has been crashed... Cause a lot of people knew that site for the downloads/feedback and lots of other stuff. Maybe if it will get back some time?
EAT THOSE FRIGGIN BANANAS !!!!!
1000 MPH Studios MAY NOT play any ut99.org community mappack 2 map without George W. Bush explicit permission
editor Dave
Inhuman

Post by editor Dave »

Creavion wrote:Yearh right, we didnt have it in the download list yet, but the sad truth is, nearly nobody cares for that pack, although it is great, specially Revs AS. Look at utzone.. the pack is upped.. but no news.. it is not upped on beyondunreal filework yet.. I hate it to say but it is true.. ut is generally in the deathbed, not only ut1... The communtiy is shrinking like hell.
If you say something like that our motivation to finish the mappack will sink continous :satan:
But you are right, it's a true story, but think positive: Ut99.org cares a bit about FOT V 8)
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

It's not the community that is getting smaller, it's the whole community that is divided into smaller ones, most based on clans.

I am so noob at this that I never visited Nali City, still I try to do things for the community and help to maintain this game alive (something that isn't too hard to do).
Everyday are more people playing this game, even people that are used to ultimate super graphics of other games, they find this game much more fun.

So, people, I played this pack myself, and I really liked it. So, let's bring more people here, let's join more community, let's finish that mappack and help ut99 stay more alive than ever. The only thing here is that some of the best mappers and coders with almost 10 years of experience on this are leaving the modding, but others are discovering the game now and start to mod to it (like me since January and even some members of wings are start to map now, even the admin of hof wants to learn C++ to mod for the gameand is already working in a new mapvote).

So people, there's no game I know that have this "next generation" effect, and a game like that can't be considered dying, we are just divided and isolated from eachothers, and the objective of this site, is join it again.

Sorry if this was some kind of offtopic, but I want to open your eyes.
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

I guess you are a rarely exception. Most of the old modder, mapper and gamer has left .. gaming.. to old, studying, business, job career, familty with children.. whatever the reason is. The current generation looks - mostly - at newer games .. well I can understand it.. I dont think that anybody could enthuse me today for Doom 2 really. I just like UT.. I guess it was one of first games which I played. Mapping followed years later or so.
But as long I love mapping for UT and so .. no problem..
About to be non-active
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

Yes, but I know lots of people old, with a career, with children and still playing UT, and most important, some of them actually map and mod, and some of them are really starting now.
These are just people that know actually to keep their life organized, with some hobbies like this one, so even with lots of mappers and modders gone from UT, there are still a lot of other guys starting and actually doing it already for some months, some for some more than 1 year.

So, like I said, there's a lot of chances of this game be alive for another 5 years minimum.
Revelation
Average
Personal rank: UEngine violator

Post by Revelation »

Whoever said that UT is dead... I agree. UT (any UT game!) died the day when UT3 was released, and was burried when Nalicity vanished...

However, back to topic: Swanky (the chief master of FoT5, for those who don't know) is waiting for BU to host the pack until he writes the news on all important UT sites. According to Brizz, it "shouldn't take too long", but oh well... It's BU... :roll:

Btw, @Dave: May I remind you that you wanted to write a "short, maybe longer" review about FoT5? :tongue:
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

Revelation wrote:Whoever said that UT is dead... I agree. UT (any UT game!) died the day when UT3 was released, and was burried when Nalicity vanished...
Hmmm... Well, your opinion and maybe based in your definition of "dead game", but the true reality is another. :roll:
And telling that UT died when UT3 was released... well... whatever.

Well, but FOT V is indeed a great mappack, it shows a lot of work and effort in its development. GJ :gj:
Revelation
Average
Personal rank: UEngine violator

Post by Revelation »

Feralidragon wrote:Hmmm... Well, your opinion and maybe based in your definition of "dead game", but the true reality is another. :roll:
You say you're modding for UT since January 2008, and you've never been on NC... Believe me, if you knew what the community was only two years ago, you would agree that, compared to this former state, it is dead without any doubt.
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

Revelation wrote:
Feralidragon wrote:Hmmm... Well, your opinion and maybe based in your definition of "dead game", but the true reality is another. :roll:
You say you're modding for UT since January 2008, and you've never been on NC... Believe me, if you knew what the community was only two years ago, you would agree that, compared to this former state, it is dead without any doubt.
Well, I can't tell nothing about that, maybe the community was quite big back then, but I just see around, and I see a lot of isolated communities with this game in common, and really alive.
And by what I understood, NC was just a really big center, and now that is gone, some community quit the game, but others just formed their own communities, or clans (which were most based in skill, but now I see more often clans based on sportship and friendship, nothing more).
Maybe a there aren't that much modders and mappers now, but players you still can count thousands, and that's what matters the most for me in a game, that's my definition to define an alive or dead game.
It might be not so alive like 3 years ago, but it's still very alive IMO.
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

I agree what Revelation says. The golden times ended somewhere between uhm 2004 or so? Really, at that time UT was very lively, many maps were made, even "smaller" forums like unrealed.de (at times where the good old MBot was at the web admin) had per day 1000 posts (I can remember the counter which I compared nearly every day), I dont want to think about the bigger forums like unrealplayground or beyondunreal. Today.. forums are nearly empty, nearly no new maps, nearly no enthusiasm for even big and major mappacks like FOT 5. It is simply a shame, we can not change really much. We can just try to slow this progress down.
About to be non-active
editor Dave
Inhuman

Re: FOT V (Fate Of Time) [+ Discussion about UT's liveliness]

Post by editor Dave »

I started mapping at the beginning of 2007 and I must agree. Even if I knew at that time only one forum (unrealed.de) almost every week came a new map (some noob maps like mine, but who cares?). When I look now in the map section, the most maps are for UT 3 and last two maps for UT 99 were released in September and June...
And we needn't to talk about singleplayer maps :lol2:, although there's hope for two great mappacks: The Chosen One ("Not much to do") and Firestorm (99% finished)

@Rev: I didn't forget it, I must only play the maps exactly ;)
GenMoKai
Godlike
Personal rank: Mapper

Post by GenMoKai »

Revelation wrote:Whoever said that UT is dead... I agree. UT (any UT game!) died the day when UT3 was released, and was burried when Nalicity vanished...
I agree with this... But maybe if NC will be alive agian, the intrest of people for UT99 will come back a little :wink: Ow btw Revelation, great job at your AS map :tu: also the others in that pack of course :tongue:
EAT THOSE FRIGGIN BANANAS !!!!!
1000 MPH Studios MAY NOT play any ut99.org community mappack 2 map without George W. Bush explicit permission
RocketJedi
Inhuman
Personal rank: I.T Master

Re: FOT V (Fate Of Time) [+ Discussion about UT's liveliness]

Post by RocketJedi »

most of the top played rocket -x maps are put out by Killah from Our clan theairelite.com she keeps putting out new maps all the time! maps such as:

CTF-AE-Axecution
CTF-AE-Bumblified
CTF-AE-Bumbly
CTF-AE-ChkenWar
CTF-AE-CreepyHollow
CTF-AE-Figure4x2
CTF-AE-Figure4x2][
CTF-AE-Fusion
CTF-AE-MvsK
CTF-AE-Oblicat3d
CTF-AE-Oblicat3d2
CTF-AE-Opz