Shrinking map size

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Barbie
Godlike

Shrinking map size

Post by Barbie »

I wondered why a relative simple map with 150 brushes and some hundred actors has a big size of 13 MiB. Then I exported it to T3D, imported and build it: now it has a size of 3 MiB. I hope I lost nothing valuable. :D
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Red_Fist
Godlike

Re: Shrinking map size

Post by Red_Fist »

Try it with other maps see what happens.
Binary Space Partitioning
Zero_khan
Average

Post by Zero_khan »

something in mylevel?
Good Bye. I'm leaving UT99 behind. I won't be around for UT's 30th.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Of course I didn't close UnrealEd between ex- and import, so that all MyLevel stuff kept in memory and was taken over to the new map.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
SteadZ
Average
Personal rank: 1337

Post by SteadZ »

This is something a few people across at UnrealSP noticed not too long ago, seems essentially "garbage" is built up in the map file over time with rebuilds which contributes to file-size. Re-importing the map contents to a new file decreases the file size but you've not lost anything valuable ;)

Another potential explanation is that the map contained high resolution lightmaps that were generated in 227 - these carry across to UT so long as you don't rebuild lighting there but it does increase the filesize. My guess is that it's the first explanation though.
"The problem with dreams is... you never know when you're gonna wake up"

Zero_khan
Average

Post by Zero_khan »

I noticed that some maps that I made had thousands of red line paths. After rebuilding they were all gone.
Good Bye. I'm leaving UT99 behind. I won't be around for UT's 30th.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Sorry, I forgot to mention the map: it is AS-Spacemars (April 2000) - the current MonsterHunt conversion is really bad and so I work on a better one. :)
(My question about Gustav Holst's 'Mars' is concerning this map.)
SteadZ wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:33 pmbut you've not lost anything valuable
Lines in T3D files longer than 1023 chars are cut off silently. But this is a rare condition.
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

Big models usual cause.
Same stuff happen with NaZali map where grate movers generate too big models. So recreate them from t3d usually help.

From UTPT you can see which models take most size:
scr_1607850796.png
After that you can export entire map to t3d and find what connected with this Models.
And do something with this items - like reimport from t3d, for example. (not entire map, just some brushes)

Best way for not lost something important. But possible not fast as recreate all from scratch.

Also v469 UnrealEd can build more effective .unr file. So can be used for this.
Last edited by Buggie on Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

What version of UTPT do you have? The version 2.0 beta 5 sorts the column "Size" alphabetically... masterpiece of software.
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

Same as you. Use "Export Table" tab. Not "Export tree".
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

I just tried it on a map I am doing, it lost about 400k.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

I think it's groups, after I exported as T3d and re imported and lost 400k of a 7 meg map, I just noticed all the groups are gone, but the map had nothing missing.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Sample:
When you are adding actors to the map which it's in working stage some of useless bytes are OldLocation vector data. If you are importing a clean actor, this data it's no longer there - this is a sample of data-bytes decreasing map size but having the same content... It's why I added those functions in MapGarbage they are removing garbage for real, nobody ever needs that data in Editor, neither internal chain from Navigation Points, I believe those are created during reachSpecs calculations being not needed to be saved in map. All time 300-400k is removed this way + reducing/eliminating red builder template brush and culling Textures unused.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Red_Fist wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:51 amI think it's groups, after I exported as T3d and re imported and lost 400k of a 7 meg map, I just noticed all the groups are gone
The group markers still exist, but the names are not shown in UnrealEd's "Groups" window. Here is an example of a Brush in T3D format with a group marker set:

Code: Select all

Begin Actor Class=Brush Name=Brush1
    PostScale=(SheerAxis=SHEER_ZX)
    Group=GroupTest
    Level=LevelInfo'MyLevel.LevelInfo0'
As you see, the group marker "GroupTest" still exist. Select an Actor with a group marker and then add the group marker in UnrealEd's "Groups" window.