Hello from Canada

Introduce yourself! (Please NOT only your Name or Clan!)
Zeddy_Ryan
Novice

Hello from Canada

Post by Zeddy_Ryan »

Hello. I'm a 29 year old male from Canada who loves old FPS games. A hefty portion of my formative years were spent playing such games as Wolfenstein 3D, Doom 1 and 2, Duke Nukem 3D, Quake 1 and 2, Unreal, and Unreal Tournament. I think DN3D was the first game I ever played.

Fast forward to the present day. As of right now I'm working towards a Masters degree in functional analysis (which is a type of mathematics), and then I plan to go for a PhD. But as a side hobby, I've also been trying to make singleplayer maps for classic Doom and Doom 2. This has been going on for about a year, and in that time I've discovered that I don't enjoy designing the uniquely "singleplayer" aspects of a map: the linear sequence of combat encounters, information discovery, locked doors/keys, doling out ammo/health/powerups at a fair but challenging rate, etc. But I do enjoy designing the actual spaces: the layout, architecture, texturing, lighting, etc. I guess I just like creating interconnected spaces that are both pleasing to the eye and fun to move around in. I guess you could say I'm more of a worldbuilder than a storyteller. I'm probably better suited to making multiplayer maps.

This being the case, I don't want to continue with Doom. Doom multiplayer is just not my cup of tea. I am currently interested in making multiplayer maps for Unreal Tournament, starting with deathmatch and CTF game types: my two favorites. Since this is just a side hobby that I do when I have free time away from my studies, I can't predict the pace of my progress. But I guess I'll be looking for UnrealEd tutorials in the near future. For now, I'm just here to say hi!
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Re: Hello from Canada

Post by Hellkeeper »

Zeddy_Ryan wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:08 amI don't enjoy designing the uniquely "singleplayer" aspects of a map: the linear sequence of combat encounters, information discovery, locked doors/keys, doling out ammo/health/powerups at a fair but challenging rate, etc. But I do enjoy designing the actual spaces: the layout, architecture, texturing, lighting, etc. I guess I just like creating interconnected spaces that are both pleasing to the eye and fun to move around in. I guess you could say I'm more of a worldbuilder than a storyteller. I'm probably better suited to making multiplayer maps.

This being the case, I don't want to continue with Doom. Doom multiplayer is just not my cup of tea. I am currently interested in making multiplayer maps for Unreal Tournament, starting with deathmatch and CTF game types: my two favorites. Since this is just a side hobby that I do when I have free time away from my studies, I can't predict the pace of my progress. But I guess I'll be looking for UnrealEd tutorials in the near future. For now, I'm just here to say hi!
Hello and welcome, you seem to have the same taste as me, I am certain you will enjoy the self-contained aspect of multiplayer maps and how Unreal/UT makes it both quick, fun and easy. If you need tutorials, tons of resources are still available for UnrealEd. There's a quick rundown of the tools and links to many tutorials here on UT99.org, that might get you started. Depending on what part of Canada you're from, you'll be happy to see there are a lot of things in either english or french. :)
You must construct additional pylons.
esnesi
Godlike
Personal rank: Dialed in.

Post by esnesi »

Welcome and goodluck on the map making venture!
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

You could still use Doom textures on ut99 maps for CTF & DM · viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13646
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Hello from Brazil! Enjoy your stay :D
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
Zeddy_Ryan
Novice

Post by Zeddy_Ryan »

Hellkeeper wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:08 am Hello and welcome, you seem to have the same taste as me, I am certain you will enjoy the self-contained aspect of multiplayer maps and how Unreal/UT makes it both quick, fun and easy. If you need tutorials, tons of resources are still available for UnrealEd. There's a quick rundown of the tools and links to many tutorials here on UT99.org, that might get you started. Depending on what part of Canada you're from, you'll be happy to see there are a lot of things in either english or french. :)
Thanks for this resource, I gave it a quick glance and I think I will use this as my introduction to UnrealEd when I have more free time. Or rather, my reintroduction, since I did dabble with UEd 2.0 as a young teen.

One note, I think there is a typo in that guide: near the beginning where you give a quick summary/list of the different UnrealEds, you've listed UnrealEd 2.1 twice. I think the second one is meant to be UnrealEd 2.2. It's also possible that I just don't know what I'm talking about, and in that case I'm sorry.
EvilGrins wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:40 pm You could still use Doom textures on ut99 maps for CTF & DM · viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13646
Excellent, thanks! I'll probably try making a Doom-themed UT map at some point, though I intend to start off with some more "regular" ideas while I become acquainted with the tools of UT mapping.