Unreal Archive Help Wanted: Game Types & Mods

Do you search a certain mutator, mod, skin, map, everything else?
Red_Fist
Godlike

Re: Unreal Archive Help Wanted: Game Types & Mods

Post by Red_Fist »

I guess what I was saying is, if I wanted to download ONP I would look under "singleplayer"

Mod or not mod it's singleplayer maps.
Binary Space Partitioning
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Yeah, that is true. But I think mutators are also mods, trying to distinguish one from the other is bound to produce confusion. I don't agree that you should need to click a mod's link in order to know what it is about, especially when you're going to (or planning to) have many and many of these in an index.

Accessibility and readiness of information might be afterthoughts when the conservation of files is priority number one, and I can understand that, but I don't think those things should be disregarded altogether. If you're looking for a specific mutator in a sea, it's a lot easier when the relevant information that could help in your search is available at a glance, rather than having to click link after link.

But, as you said - ultimately, Shrimp has the last word on this, and if this all isn't his vision for what the ultimate Unreal archive should be, then I guess it won't be it. He already implemented an interface and a good enough listing, and I will admit that changing that right now certainly would feel pointless, if only because you've been able to achieve so much and have just been able to use and appreciate your own work. I don't want to poop the party.
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

If we were not so lazy with language it would be simpler.
Mod = Modification.
Mod is also the music format used by UE1
Mod = (tracker) Module

Strictly speaking all 3rd party and community content is a modification for an existing game.

It makes sense to categorise stuff based on the way the game refers to it, such as Game Type or Mutator. ChaosUT is both.
I tend the term mod when describing a total mod, or mod that is more than just a gametype like Chaos.
Therefore in my archive Chaos is put in a total mods folder, rather than gametypes or mutators
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

That seems to be a good way too.
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction