The most RiDiCuLoUs Mapping Contest!

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
OjitroC
Godlike

Re: The most RiDiCuLoUs Mapping Contest!

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:14 pm Small heads up...
lol wrote:Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:56 am there is a missing file in the zip DOM-RMC-Singularity
the missing file is a horrible mismatch machine .... i think he must remove this dependency in the map.

Here with the missing file http://medor.no-ip.org/index.php?dir=Ma ... larity.zip
...from someone shy.
I haven't noticed a missing file - the map ran fine for me (without installing the file included in the zip) - looking at the map in UTPT, the dependencies appear to me to be standard/default UT stuff - TBH this heads up is somewhat lacking in clarity - what's the missing file? What needs to be removed?
EvilGrins wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:14 pm What's a good timeframe for that? About a week??
Perhaps two weeks/ end of January?
Myth
Inhuman
Personal rank: Low Poly Freak

Post by Myth »

OjitroC wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:44 pm I haven't noticed a missing file - the map ran fine for me (without installing the file included in the zip) - looking at the map in UTPT, the dependencies appear to me to be standard/default UT stuff - TBH this heads up is somewhat lacking in clarity - what's the missing file? What needs to be removed?
I've gotten a PM about this, but I'm just as confused. The mismatch was talking about my map using Organic.utx That's very strange, I've never used that texture package. However it is using Organic.umx, which should be coming with a standard UT99 installation.

I've even added the SGTech1.utx to the zip so people without bonus packs who just have a vanilla UT99 installation can use run the map no problem. You can find it here https://unrealarchive.org/files/ec/ec01 ... 98fc1.html file has the same SHA1 has as the one in the DOM-RMC-Singularity zip so there should be no mismatches. Everything else is vanilla UT99 installation or MyLeveled.

So, I'm a bit confused, if something is causing trouble I'll gladly remove the dependency or patch the map if needed but first I need to understand what's going wrong.
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

It's likely that the problem is in the installation of whoever reported this, and not in the map itself.

One thing to remember is that there's no difference whatsoever between a .utx and .umx (or any Unreal package for that matter), and so what the map will list as dependencies is never going to be something like "Organic.umx" but rather only "Organic" (without the extension), because the extension means absolutely nothing to the engine, as it's only a way to organize the different kinds of resources outside of the engine (in different directories and such).

Therefore, if the installation happens to have another "Organic" package, like an "Organic.utx", it might load that one instead of the .umx one (depending on the load order).

It might also happen that the installation is faulty to a degree that is missing the standard Organic.umx package (likely the case here), hence the error, in which case the user will likely try to find this package online and will find an "Organic.utx" file and try that one, and think (erroneously) that's the missing file, instead of figuring out that the standard file is actually the missing one, which may happen to work depending on the kind of dependency which is held.
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Or I think they just happened to have a Organic.utx lying around, I don't think that it would take a lack of Organic.umx - if Textures/*.utx has precedence over Music/*.umx (that is, is listed first in the list of Paths= entries in UnrealTournament.ini), it'll try to find Organic.utx (which usually shouldn't exist) before it tries to find Organic.umx. If it does find Organic.utx, then that's the issue, not the map itself.
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
Myth
Inhuman
Personal rank: Low Poly Freak

Post by Myth »

Thanks for the explanation. So having Organic.utx installed actually breaks Organic.umx and you get the menu music...
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

OjitroC wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:44 pmI haven't noticed a missing file
Neither did I, but i've been playing UT so long it's rare for me not to have most every file I need unless someone creates something entirely new.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Myth wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:14 pm Thanks for the explanation. So having Organic.utx installed actually breaks Organic.umx and you get the menu music...
I had this exact same friggin problem before! :mad2:
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=3862
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Organic.utx is a nothing useful - I had this problem in the past and I was curious what is about, which map was using it. None map in that time had ever used it, it was a junk spread exactly like those BotPack.uax, MyLevel.utx, Engine.utx in maps archives by some plain UT idiots and nothing else. If you, guys, are smarter enough, you'll get rid of these "files". Some of these were packaged by those "Mapper...XYZ" stupid applications.
All I have to say it's that if I find such files in any of servers which I maintain, I'm DELETING them and if a single map requires these it will be edited or removed, all such "Mismatches" can be dropped in MyLevel where re-building it's possible - including DELETING UTDMT.UTX because that is not a texture :loool: but a package with the same name but UTX extension and every single map with UTDMT works without said UTX garbage file.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

sektor2111 wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:58 pm Organic.utx is a nothing useful - I had this problem in the past and I was curious what is about, which map was using it. None map in that time had ever used it,
It's got 41 textures, mainly grass and straw - used by five maps (four MH maps and one AS) on UnrealArchive - so not very common to say the least.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Let me know titles, I want to drop an eye there.... Last time Organic.utx which I had included a picture of RocketLauncher. If another one has "grass" or whatever, dumb stuff can go in Mylevel.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

sektor2111 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:31 am Let me know titles, I want to drop an eye there.... Last time Organic.utx which I had included a picture of RocketLauncher. If another one has "grass" or whatever, dumb stuff can go in Mylevel.
These are the ones with Organic.utx on Unreal Archive
AS-FUEDAL
MH-(SF)Cryptrunners_v1d
MH-BGXRAoulhuntmaze2
MH-BirdBrainedResearch
MH-Cryptrunners{fix}
(Go to Fuedal first, click on the Also In opposite Organic.utx and this will take you to a hyperlinked list of these maps).

I don't remember seeing a RocketLauncher in this Organic.utx - like I say, mostly grass, ground (earth/mud) and various forms of straw plus some hive (bee/wasp) textures.
SteadZ
Average
Personal rank: 1337

Post by SteadZ »

Organic.utx is a texture package from the UE1 game Rune, so you can place the blame with Human Head Studios for thoughtlessly naming the package so :P

It's also used across a couple of SP campaigns I believe
"The problem with dreams is... you never know when you're gonna wake up"

sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

OjitroC wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:30 am MH-BirdBrainedResearch
MH-BirdBrainedReaserach it's one of those lousy packages archive. Map USES MUSIC file and not UTX file - you, boys, should repack these craps.
Let me look ahead again. As for CryptRunners I don't recall any Organic.utx required but the Organic.umx. Out of said texture map BirdBrainedResearch could be opened in Editor just fine exactly like CryptRunners both of them having music needed. Texture here it's a nonsense.
OjitroC wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:30 am I don't remember seeing a RocketLauncher in this Organic.utx - like I say, mostly grass, ground (earth/mud) and various forms of straw plus some hive (bee/wasp) textures.
And I DON'T remember any use of it... The one shared in AS-Fuedal has indeed something different but...

Code: Select all

Warning: Property TextureMaterial of Class Engine.Texture not found
Warning: Skipping 1 bytes of type 1
this is crashing clients due to bullshit content unknown by UT, not a single time such a texture locked/crashed UT client.

Map AS-Fuedal looks like has some references which I don't see but some Textures are definitely missing again from my packages, those roofs and walls being out of textures and it's not about "mud" and "grass" on those surfaces...

And then... firing a plain MH game using map MH-BGXRAoulhuntmaze2.unr. This is the game WITHOUT Organic.utx texture:
BGRHM.PNG
"Nice" cubing sh!te... but I don't get the point with that Texture added in archive... it's all about Organic.umx.

What is fascinating for the record, I started an Assault game with AS-Fuedal with Organic texture removed from game. Map worked - of course, with those stupid byte log messages.
This is AS-Fuedal looking the same with or without Organic texture:
ASFued.PNG
These surfaces for me are the same - probably here I'm having the wrong texture version of anything else than Organic...
lol - mappers...
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

EvilGrins wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:18 pm unless someone creates something entirely new.
You bet!.utx
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

When it comes to #RiDiCuLoUs Mapping Contest! I think we can talk about #RiDiCuLoUs Mental Content!
I dropped an eye at UnrealArchive and I found new content with missing "packages" :agree1: - Definitely we need someone to do these missing packages:
NeedMoreWCStuff.PNG
These are UT repositories in 2021 - yeah, that Happy new Mask ooopsy I mean Year. Good luck with packages...

Edit
:
Okay, let's take a tour through said map with missing assets. Me... opening it in Editor.
TMissingCovid.PNG
OOPS, it's just opened out of "missing packages" apology for that flame in a$$.