NoHeadShots.u, .int mutator?

Search, find and discuss about Mutators!
Peamole
Average
Personal rank: Dinghy-O-Death Cap'n

NoHeadShots.u, .int mutator?

Post by Peamole »

Hi! I'm new here but played and edited UT99 since ~2004.

I looked in all the archives that I could find and still couldn't find what I was looking for. Does anyone know if there's a mutator which prevents all players and bots from getting any annoying notifications and announcements of head shots, etc?

• I tried simply muting them but somehow the muted announcements still block out my player's taunts. :wth:

I'm sure if I knew how to code I'd make and post one... Maybe someone's willing to take on the challenge... Anyone?
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Re: NoHeadShots.u, .int mutator?

Post by EvilGrins »

Try this.

1) Open User.ini
2) Just below the bots' settings, you will see this:

[Botpack.TournamentPlayer]
bInstantRocket=False
bAutoTaunt=False
bNoAutoTaunts=False
bNoVoiceTaunts=False
bNoMatureLanguage=False
bNoVoiceMessages=False
AnnouncerVolume=4

3) Lower the "AnnouncerVolume". Try 2 or 1.

There's probably somewhere in-game settings to do this too, but you can definitely alter it here.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
esnesi
Godlike
Personal rank: Dialed in.

Post by esnesi »

You can edit your botpack.int with changes.
I believe engine.int also offers a few possibilities to remove the screen message.

Code: Select all

[KillingSpreeMessage]
SpreeNote[0]=""
SpreeNote[1]=""
SpreeNote[2]=""
SpreeNote[3]=""
SpreeNote[4]="
EndSpreeNote=""
EndSelfSpree=""
EndFemaleSpree=""

[MultiKillMessage]
DoubleKillString=""
TripleKillString=""
MultiKillString=""
MegaKillString=""
UltraKillString=""
MonsterKillString=""
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Spam stories, boys...

Headshot mainly comes from DeathMatchplus. If you want to get rid of it you'll need a subclass of DM game-type better than a mutator- helpful for other fixes too.

function Killed(pawn killer, pawn Other, name damageType)
{
	local int NextTaunt, i;
	local bool bAutoTaunt, bEndOverTime;
	local Pawn P, Best;

if ( (damageType == 'Decapitated') && (Killer != Other) && (Killer != None) )
	{
		if (Level.Game.LocalLog != None)
			Level.Game.LocalLog.LogSpecialEvent("headshot", Killer.PlayerReplicationInfo.PlayerID, Other.PlayerReplicationInfo.PlayerID);
		if (Level.Game.WorldLog != None)
			Level.Game.WorldLog.LogSpecialEvent("headshot", Killer.PlayerReplicationInfo.PlayerID, Other.PlayerReplicationInfo.PlayerID);
		Killer.ReceiveLocalizedMessage( class'DecapitationMessage' );
	}
Me one in whatever MH version I removed that TRASH (/and spam AutoTaunts too) because gasbags and pupaes are not really having heads - they are heads themselves... the rest of damage is placed elsewhere which I cannot see right now but... it's stock anyway.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

sektor2111 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:08 am Spam stories, boys...
Not really - the OP wants to get rid of all announcements, not just the HeadShot announcement.
Que
Inhuman
Personal rank: ...

Post by Que »

More weapons should be able to give headshots.
*Join our Discord Here.*
Our mods - MVX , SSB , SmartWFL , UTCmds , BotCommands , Smart Stats , join/leave announcer , NoSmoke , UTLogin , BrightSkins , Server Tran…
*Our Servers
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

OjitroC wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:31 am Not really - the OP wants to get rid of all announcements, not just the HeadShot announcement.
And ? A lot of messages are part of the same DeathMatchPlus, there are called based on functions from said game-type not only head-shots. Also it does "Super" calls to GameInfo - everything can be rewritten in a child DeathMatchPlus without to call GameInfo's poorly written codes.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

sektor2111 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:18 pm ... everything can be rewritten in a child DeathMatchPlus without to call GameInfo's poorly written codes.
Doubtless it can be rewritten but the question is - has it? Is there a DeathMatchPlus version that gets rid of announcements? Or can it be done in an easier manner given that the OP says "I'm sure if I knew how to code ..."?

What happens, for example, if one uses a blank version of Announcer.aux? (I thiink the OP wants to get rid of the sounds rather than the text messages).
sektor2111 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:08 am because gasbags and pupaes are not really having heads - they are heads themselves...
Well ... see UnrealI.u -> LodMeshes for GasHead and PupaeHead - certainly when you headshot a pupae its head 'flies' off, not with a gasbag though.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Blank announcer probably won't remove text but excepting calls to said messages won't show or sound anything - like I said I already removed these head-sh!te from an older MH version, not from XC_MonsterHunt but maybe a future version will have these out.

In other hand I'm not aware if a mutator is capable to do something here but... I'm curious what others are having to say.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

sektor2111 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:28 pm Blank announcer probably won't remove text but excepting calls to said messages won't show or sound anything
From what the OP says, I think it's removing the sounds that's wanted so having the text is probably OK. So it sounds like a blank announcer.uax would be the answer?
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

For me altering stock for such an "idea" it's a NO way, I'd rather prefer to solve multiple problems by using another game-type which has an advantage for fixing more stuff. By example InitGame happens before everything, it is the earliest thing executed in stock UT in which you can solve some tweaks not only getting rid of calls to messaging system - and this doesn't have any deal in mutators. You can re-read first post, as far as I understand it's was about "notifications" and "announcements" which for me means text shown and sound of headshots these being brought in stage by DeathMatchPlus root controller not by mutators.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Que wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:44 am More weapons should be able to give headshots.
Most of them can, though it sometimes works better with monsters than players.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

sektor2111 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:18 am ...I'd rather prefer to solve multiple problems by using another game-type which has an advantage for fixing more stuff.
I'm sure you would and, of course, you can (and have) but the OP can't code so, in the absence of someone producing another gametype for him, that's not really a practical solution.
sektor2111 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:18 am ... You can re-read first post, as far as I understand it's was about "notifications" and "announcements" which for me means text shown and sound of headshots ...
You may well be right there but, without any further clarification, we don't know for certain. Moreover, I take it that the OP wants to remove all notifications and announcements given the desire to "prevent{s} all players and bots from getting any (emphasis added) annoying notifications and announcements of head shots, etc (emphasis added)".

So we can take it that it is not possible to do what the OP wants by a mutator and that, short of altering default stock by having a blank Announcer.aux, the only solution is to produce a new gametype?
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Other untested way which I'm thinking about is using a mutator screwing HUD - possible causing conflicts with HUD mutators, in other hand a mutator dealing with a SpawnNotify actor discarding message actors but... I did not try any of these any neither did something here. Screwing stock install for such a task for me is not the best practice and all files need to be well conformed or else net lousy effects are expected heading nowhere, and then once again, a small game-type is helping not only regarding to this subject for whoever wants to write a few lines...
In other hand if Bot is receiving messages nobody really cares... because it is receiving these as well and I think Bot it's not interested about these spam bytes, Bot is script not a human format. But, if user cannot code anything, I doubt that conforming and altering stock is the right way because that task needs other experience here, this problem is sensitive, Announcer.uax has only sounds, we speak about TEXT lines as well, and these aren't not part of UAX file these are actors calling sound and writing messages depends on HUD filtering, messages which are rooted in game-type.
"Explanations" above with INT files aren't very helpful without to know names and how many variables are using INT support - other knowledge is required.
For head-shot, class is called DecapitationMessage

class DecapitationMessage expands LocalMessagePlus;

var(Messages)	localized string 	DecapitationString;
Here I think we can change "DecapitationString" value from class "DecapitationMessage" which has to be placed probably in <BotPack.int>. In exchange it's needed a blank UAX because audio messages are still there, either way we can turn off Announcer volume (as I do with ALL Music since my music it's on external devices not in UT).
By inspecting these variables and changing /DEFINING them correctly messages can be blanked or... modified... and these are part of client without other stock changes...
DecapitMessage.png
If we talk about other messages these might need another way for being discarded as long as they have hard-coded data or non-configurable references.
Peamole
Average
Personal rank: Dinghy-O-Death Cap'n

Post by Peamole »

Wow! I'm surprised by the number of replies⁠—thanks!

To clarify, do you know how nothing happens when you decapitate a player, monster or bot or get a kill spree in Unreal or Unreal Gold? There are no announcements or text. That's what I was talking about out of sheer frustration. :???: However, my biggest issue is not necessarily with there being an announcer voice or announcements but with them completely interrupting and muting taunts.

Is there an option for toggling whether VoicePacks are able to talk over announcements instead of getting completely muted by them? Is it possible to spread VoicePacks and AnnouncerVoice among the many audio channels? Simply muting the announcer doesn't work. This might get a bit chaotic with 8 or more players but I think there could be work-arounds with volume fading (maybe a work-around won't be necessary).

Is the problem I'm talking about more systemic with the game? I really don't know. Sorry for the trouble.