Typical MH Level Errors

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
OjitroC
Godlike

Re: Typical MH Level Errors

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:46 am
OjitroC wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:46 pmYou may do, most people don't - it's not that the monsters are hard kill, it's that you are easy to kill.
That's why it's fun... more of a challenge.
But as Buggie says, too many insta kill monsters means there is no challenge as it's an unequal contest and so a frustrating experience - there's only so many times one can get killed and not get anywhere before one gives up playing the map.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

OjitroC wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:33 amthere's only so many times one can get killed and not get anywhere before one gives up playing the map.
I never give up, and this is also why I play with bots of varying skills.

Have you played against the GrimReaper?
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5008

I posted that map to House of Fool's previous forum, around the same time I posted it here... their best MH players loved it even though the thing killed them faster than they could get a bead on it multiples times, over and over again.

It's lethal to scary levels and it can fly and teleport, sometimes you only hear it after it's killed you and it's scary fast... I've been splattered by it multiple times, and while sometimes I luck out and nail it with DeemerFireworks, it frequently kills me several times before I can get it.

Bots get killed by it too, obviously, but they can track it faster than any human players and usually get in a few shots before it kills them.

You don't want to fight monsters like this all the time... but every so often it's fun to be that outclassed!
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:27 am You don't want to fight monsters like this all the time... but every so often it's fun to be that outclassed!
No, you don't but that's the problem - playing maps with those monsters in means you are going to be fighting them each time you play the map and so, for most people, this limits the replayability of those maps.
Custer
Novice

Post by Custer »

papercoffee wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:32 pm @Custer
Please refrain from double-posting within a 24 hours limit if no one has answered in the meantime.
Sorry - didn't know I could merge several responses into one. Thanks!
EvilGrins wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:51 pm I dunno... I think a stampede of pupae could be fun... especially if I had a redeemer.
You may like MH-Unwanted. I think the author's got a pupae fetish, and I quickly grew bored. There's MonsterHunt and there's PupaeRooms; one got confused with the other.

I don't mind stampedes if there's somewhere to go - duck behind a column, leap up onto a ledge, navigate tunnels, etc. But a large flat room in which you're circling backwards to pick them off individually grows tiresome.
OjitroC wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:33 am But as Buggie says, too many insta kill monsters means there is no challenge as it's an unequal contest and so a frustrating experience - there's only so many times one can get killed and not get anywhere before one gives up playing the map.
That. I may think it's a fun challenge, but when players get killed with high frequency they'll just delay hitting fire to respawn and remain dead to leave someone else dealing with the super-guardian. I just encountered this on MH-TreeOfLife.

I think the telling point is switching to a new map, and within the first few seconds of it starting hearing "oh, no - not this one" when players recognise it then sit it out until the next one.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Custer wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:49 pm There's MonsterHunt and there's PupaeRooms; one got confused with the other.
Agree with that - could go further and say the "go to a room and kill 300 X and then go to another room and kill 300 y" type maps get confused with Monster Hunt, particularly when it is made obvious what type of monster you are going to face by having it above a teleporter to the room.
EvilGrins wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:27 am Have you played against the GrimReaper?
Sure have - it is not an enjoyable or fun experience for me so I avoid it. I do have a toned down version of the GR that I use in MonsterSpawn, plus one or two toned down skulls. I tend to play with 'real life' weapons anyway and not nukes, and prefer stealth and minimising damage over spam and pyrotechnics but that's just me. I enjoy maps that are closer to SP than MH but do have a go at killing the 900+ monsters in MeltTown by myself once in a while - using stealth and sniping rather than a frontal attack - takes hours but it is fun.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

OjitroC wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:55 amplaying maps with those monsters in means you are going to be fighting them each time you play the map and so, for most people, this limits the replayability of those maps.
I've got hundreds of MH maps, so that's okay. Most of them don't have monsters like that... only a few do.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758