cant open maps anymore in unreal ed 2.0

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
sXs-sketchpad
Experienced

cant open maps anymore in unreal ed 2.0

Post by sXs-sketchpad »

hi guys and girls ive been muckingaround with unreal ed 2.0 to open other maps and change textures and stuff now for some reason it wont open custom maps anymore any help would be cool thanks
OjitroC
Godlike

Re: cant open maps anymore in unreal ed 2.0

Post by OjitroC »

Have a look in the Editor.log (which should be in your UnrealTournament\system folder) - it should indicate why maps can't be opened.

One reason may be path length - if the path to the maps is too long (contains too many characters or contains spaces) then the log will indicate that they can't be found. Or it could be missing resources (textures, sounds, music, etc, etc) - but check out the log.
Hook
Inhuman
Personal rank: UT99 Promoter/Admin

Post by Hook »

What version is your ut99?
If it is 451, you will have problems with UnrealEd.
=Hook=(Member# 626)
HUTP Active Forums: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net/forum
HUTP UT99 Community Portal: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net/
OR: https://hermskii.com/hook/ut99_hutp/
UT99 Server -> CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM}

* Newest Versions of: PRO-Redeemers | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemers | PRO-SEEKER-Redeemers <-(the Original)
and Now with FOOD FIGHT and Frying Pan arena !!!
IP: 68.232.181.236:7777 <-(NEW IP to come)
UT99 MH Server -> {CMH} CROSSBONES Monster Hunt (MH) by Mars007 (The Original) - IP: 108.61.238.93:7777
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Editor from v451 or 451b it's opening maps but you cannot do too much editing. Here Editor is failing for some reason(/s) which can be read in logs or else we cannot answer out of a clean information. Like I said, in certain maps lightning is being builded better in 451 than in 436/440 and this is not a joke - ONLY BUILDING, and not doing anything else as long as it is badly borked from 2004 and nobody did anything all this time in hoping that UT will die, but community has ruined those stupid plonker hopes, still being properly addicted to UT'99.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Wait...
sxshank marvin wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:13 pmhi guys and girls
...there are girls here?!?

Eek!
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

EvilGrins wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:52 am Wait...
sxshank marvin wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:13 pmhi guys and girls
...there are girls here?!?

Eek!
You'd be surprised :mrgreen:

Btt yea most likely a space or too long of a directory or a map was renamed or is missing a package.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

UnrealGGecko wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:05 pmBtt yea most likely a space or too long of a directory or a map was renamed or is missing a package.
Actually, there is one other thing. REALLY long map names will not open in UnrealEd, but if you shorten them they will.

Been working a map edit with Nelsona, file name is "CTF-UTDM-Cannons-FireBases_rS1798" but it won't open in UnrealEd for me. I mean, it opens but there's nothing there... however, if i remove the "rS1798" on the end, it opens normally.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

File-name it's one thing, the other thing is entire path from drive attached to name generating a sort of story not a name. It's why I'm not using default OS paths and neither any SPACE, space it's for people out of skill in operating computers, SPACE is used as separator between a command and parameters, even in Android SPACE combined with stupid characters are making a mess if you are copying application in a PC for backup purpose, all time I'm renaming them in a normal format deleting junks supposed to be part of a file-name.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:52 pm Actually, there is one other thing. REALLY long map names will not open in UnrealEd, but if you shorten them they will.

Been working a map edit with Nelsona, file name is "CTF-UTDM-Cannons-FireBases_rS1798" but it won't open in UnrealEd for me. I mean, it opens but there's nothing there... however, if i remove the "rS1798" on the end, it opens normally.
Pedantically, and just to be clear, that is actually the same as a long path name, as the file name is part of the path. Of course, it is useful to point out that map (or other UT file) names shouldn't be long both in general but, more particularly, if they are several folders deep in the hierarchy. The general rule when naming UT files is to aim for a short a name a possible whilst conveying enough information in the name chosen to identify the contents of the file.

Again, looking in Editor.log will indicate what the problem is. I've had serveral instances where the log reports "can't find longmapname.u" which indicates that the path is two characters too long, with the "nr" not being 'read'.