CTF-NBK-NaliTemple-Dx2021][

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
[NBK]DxTrEm3Fx
Adept

CTF-NBK-NaliTemple-Dx2021][

Post by [NBK]DxTrEm3Fx »

Thank you to the UT99.org members that helped me getting this map finalized. And putting up with all my noob questions. This will be the final version that I put out. I'm sure it will have other versions with scary monsters.
  • Sektor2111- thank you for the new bot navigation system in the map. And masked texture help.
  • EvilGrins for all of your help.
  • OjitroC for all of your help.
  • Red_Fist for all of your help.
  • And anyone else that I might have missed.
https://dxfxhouse.com/maps/CTF-NBK-Nali ... %5D%5B.zip
darksonny
Adept

Re: CTF-NBK-NaliTemple-Dx2021][

Post by darksonny »

Hi!
Thanks for this map dude! very cool its great see people helping you to polish your great map
Any chance in near future to see finished the another map called CTF-NBK-pillars-Dxnobsp2? This is another great map :)
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Happy to help... though there was one other thing, but it largely only effects bots so don't worry about it.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

The periodic 'respawning' sound that one hears is a little weird, to say the least, especially when one sees that nothing has spawned. I know from having followed the other thread about this map that the sound comes from sektor's additional playerstarts - but anyone who hasn't read that thread is not going to know that. So possibly it would be an idea to put a note in the readme about this so that people know what's going on.

Personally I don't think a sound is even necessary or, if it is, then it should have been something unique and not something confusing or potentially distracting.
EvilGrins wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:51 am ... though there was one other thing, but it largely only effects bots so don't worry about it.
Perhaps it's been dealt with in this revised version?
[NBK]DxTrEm3Fx
Adept

Post by [NBK]DxTrEm3Fx »

I noticed that too, and I had no idea what it was. I recognized it was the respawning sound but had no idea why it was happing. Unreal, that's all that I can say. I will update the readme file. Ugg another version of the map to get rid of that and the additional player starts.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

[NBK]DxTrEm3Fx wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:32 pm I noticed that too, and I had no idea what it was. I recognized it was the respawning sound but had no idea why it was happing. Unreal, that's all that I can say. I will update the readme file. Ugg another version of the map to get rid of that and the additional player starts.
It's up to you if you want to get rid of the additional playerstarts but you can get rid of the sound by opening the SpecialEvent actor and removing the sound (just clear the relevant field). If you do that, you probably don't need to update the readme.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

OjitroC wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:32 pmPerhaps it's been dealt with in this revised version?
It does seem to be gone.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Let me break a bit rules with redundant posting - already described and it looks like I have to repeat for those which are not reading forum.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14342&start=15#p125950
PlayerStarts ARE ALL USABLE - by TOGGLING them On/Off, RespawnSound was intended to announce when first 12 pieces have been deactivated and next ones activated for creating multiple spawn locations. If you want to do something constructive you can edit that FAKE 64 players information from LevelInfo as long as UE1 has a PRI array of max. 32 players, the rest are not in account for plain game stats being out of Engine array. Only modified servers can deal with such things not a plain UT vanilla server... all those over 32 are not that much in account in stats data, a static array it's just a static array and it doesn't change just like that.
If you would do a check at PlayerStarts you could figure a custom TAG used, by finding actor with same TAG in Editor's Menu you could see a SpecialEvent triggered at once with Starts due to the same TAG used - purpose: figuring if everything it's fine over there. Of course it can be removed leaving Starts to work silently. It's interesting... when a map it's not just cubes and plain starts people are disturbed but when map is simple the question comes: Why it's not improved a bit :? Light me how exactly should be a "rich" CTF map except the same spawns, the same routes, and all the same as everywhere...
For me a version with enhanced spawns it's good for use... We can have these in 2021 even in version 436, right ? Sound volume doesn't need to be higher after all... and we can spawn in more than 16 stock locations because the same stock assets are allowing different settings which are not Rocket Science to do.
Last edited by sektor2111 on Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

sektor2111 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:54 pm Let me break a bit rules with redundant posting - already described and it looks like I have to repeat for those which are not reading forum. PlayerStarts ARE ALL USABLE - by TOGGLING them On/Off, RespawnSound was intended to announce when first 12 pieces have been deactivated and next ones activated for creating multiple spawn locations.
Yes, sure, I understand and appreciate all that. It's the precise choice of the sound used for the announcement and/or whether it needs to be announced at all that's the issue. Is it of any value to people to playing the map to know that multiple spawn locations are available? Using the RespawnSound is rather distracting as one is looking around for whatever has been spawned and it can, of course, be confused with a player/bot respawning.

People who don't know what the sound actually represents (which will be anybody not obtaining the map from this forum after having read both threads or having closely examined the map in UEd - which will be the vast majority of people playing the map) are likely to wonder WTF is happening and think that an invisible pawn has been spawned :P

Anyway, it's up to the mapper - I'm just expressing my opinion, for what it's worth, after playing the map. It's not a major issue - the sound can be removed from SpecialEvent, as you and I have noted. And yes, of course I agree that making a map more interesting is a 'good' thing - I'm all for that - changing start locations are good.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Ahem, do you want to know the other idea with starts ?
16 Pieces which can be located in 3 random places each of them - try predict this...
This would need a bit of scripting but it's doable, probably suitable for a DeathMatch. A little MyLevel tool special compiled can connect these as blind starts into Navigation chain for having the right deal with "FindPlayerStart" function... We can use child of PlayerStart actors not those Stock Static ones.

The true priceless stuff would be some SpecialEvents playing respawn-sound when Flag Carrier is running around making it to be more scared about certain Enemies spawned around... that is the great stuff...

Off-Topic from Topic
Anyway... due to working at this subject I've added a few new things at MapGarbage, after testing it more time, probably next month it will be dropped in public...
[NBK]DxTrEm3Fx
Adept

Post by [NBK]DxTrEm3Fx »

I just want the map to play well and have people enjoy it. I don't really enjoy having to constantly redu things and post new versions of the map over and over. I used to have a bunch of friends that played UT and we all had our own servers for testing. It sounds like I need a new server for testing maps before they get released to the public.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Open your UT and set it to dedicated server.
Then open UT again and play on your own server on your home PC.
;)

But I must say the map looks very interesting.
[NBK]DxTrEm3Fx
Adept

Post by [NBK]DxTrEm3Fx »

papercoffee wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:10 pm Open your UT and set it to dedicated server.
Then open UT again and play on your own server on your home PC.
;)

But I must say the map looks very interesting.
Hello Papercoffee,
Yeah, I've done that in the past, we tried to do that a few months ago and my friends couldn't connect to my server for some reason. We tried for several hours and that was including our game server admin that used to run our clan servers.