Tundra maps for CTF

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
OjitroC
Godlike

Re: Tundra maps for CTF

Post by OjitroC »

[NBK]DxTrEm3Fx wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:09 am The original mapper wanted to keep the ground on the same plane as the map so he placed the zone info in the Skybox in the center of the bottom of nonsolid brushes. The Zone info in the skybox is the camera that projects the fake backdrop. This is what is causing the HOM effect. If you adjust the zone info so it's not in the center it works fine. But the ground in the skybox lowers itself which I assume he didn't want to do. I have tried to change to semi-solid and solid nothing works. I still get the HOM.
I see - I've changed the position of the SkyZoneInfo and, as you say, it works.

Before
tundra.jpg
After
Tundra1.jpg
So now it's playable with no nasty sliding textures. Thanks for that :tu:
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

And it doesn't look original and I'm curious how paths are working in said "fixed" version.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

sektor2111 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:51 pm And it doesn't look original and I'm curious how paths are working in said "fixed" version.
Is that for me? Not sure what you mean by any of that? All I've done is move the SkyZoneInfo in CTF-UTDMT-Tundra.unr as suggested earlier - so that I can actually play it without seeing horrendous sliding textures all the time.

I made no claim that it is 'fixed' in any way. I have merely posted screenshots of what I saw in the downloaded CTF-UTDMT-Tundra.unr and what I now see after moving the SkyZoneInfo. So it is the original, with a moved SkyZoneInfo and no other changes - so the paths are exactly as they were in the downloaded map.

Another view of what I see in an unaltered CTF-UTDMT-Tundra-Pathed.unr
Tundra2.jpg
I trust it is obvious why I can't play it like that!!
Last edited by OjitroC on Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

So... moving that higher solved rendering trouble but it's no longer like a large field... it's like a meaningless stair blocked by something... :mrgreen:
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

sektor2111 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:47 pm So... moving that higher solved rendering trouble but it's no longer like a large field... it's like a meaningless stair blocked by something... :mrgreen:
Indeed but it's never looked like a large field to me - now at least it is playable - I have neither the knowledge nor the inclination to try to solve a problem inherent in the way the map was constructed. Would you want to play a map seeing what you see in the screenshot in my previous post?
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

I tried this "fix" already... It's not like I love it. It screws original design purpose - a large field with a CTF area in the middle...

More far note: I find these "Pawns" not for me and neither these "places", so I think I'm not bother that much, other maps are more interesting, it worth fixing other older ones...
Last edited by sektor2111 on Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

sektor2111 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:11 pm I tried this "fix" already... It's not like I love it. It screws original design purpose - a large field with a CTF area in the middle...
It does indeed but better that than playing in a hall of mirrors :P

No, I'm not bothered that much either TBH - I'm just curious as to why that HOM effect on the margins happens (now I know) and, equally importantly, why no one else seems to have had it.
[NBK]DxTrEm3Fx
Adept

Post by [NBK]DxTrEm3Fx »

I was having the same issue as well. I deleted every brush in the map to see if it was something else. But no it's the placement of the SkyZoneInfo that's all.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

[NBK]DxTrEm3Fx wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:54 pm I was having the same issue as well. I deleted every brush in the map to see if it was something else. But no it's the placement of the SkyZoneInfo that's all.
Thanks for that.

I was beginning to think it was something to do with my video card as I tried all my useable renderers in the three versions of UT99 I have with the same result. It's not something I have come across before - a map with such glaring 'visual' issues that the maker thought it appropriate to distribute and that people seem content to play - maybe it's just me but I find sliding textures at the margins of the map very distracting.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Okay, final attempt...
Last_Tundra.PNG
CTF-Tundra_rS966.7z
(311.22 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
Off-Line version - MovableSkyZone looks a myth for On-Line
Now match the lightning and texture alignment...

Edit: ON-Line Locations are not like OFF-Line, at least to me weren't good at all... not even using normal SkyZoneInfo...
Now tell me what you get for On-Line games regarding to SkyBox...
Now I remember why I removed it from my gaming box...
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Don't know about on-lne but off-line I get small HOMs standing at the margins/sides of the map - no longer get the ones I saw standing on the central 'hills' so it's improved somewhat. However, as previously noted, the HOMs are removed totally simply by moving the SkyZoneInfo - OK it looks a bit odd but think of it as a rectangular hill in the centre of a snowfield.
[NBK]DxTrEm3Fx
Adept

Post by [NBK]DxTrEm3Fx »

I would think that if it works offline it will work online as well.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

I would not count on that... this is usually the stage when mappers are FAILING. See map above Off-Line (practice session) and then try it in a LAN server... Anybody can do that.

All actors without a remote-role or actors not taking replication in account are doing a mess ON-Line or they simply don't work - issue known for ages...
The remark written in that MovableSkyzone was intended

Code: Select all

// MovableSkyZone.
// Embed this actor into a map to make things easier
to make things easier, actually is not doing anything than making a mess in servers :wth: . Administration can delete that thread because it's plain useless.
I don't see any replication defined and neither simulated functions or a remoterole for networking + actor is recreated in client because it's not a static one - or it's like None without a "RemoteRole", as result it has ZERO net support... Q.E.D.

If you want a "bonus" here, take in account other scenario - DistanceLightning stuff - check it OFF-Line and then ON-Line... by Epic, btw... :lol2:
I wrote a replacement, tested, somewhere in forum but it looks like nobody cares until they fail correctly.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

sektor2111 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:07 am The remark written in that MovableSkyzone was intended

// MovableSkyZone.
to make things easier, actually is not doing anything than making a mess in servers :wth: . Administration can delete that thread because it's plain useless.
I don't see any replication defined and neither simulated functions or a remoterole for networking + actor is recreated in client because it's not a static one - or it's like None without a "RemoteRole", as result it has ZERO net support... Q.E.D.
Is this what you mean?

//=============================================================================
// MovableSkyZone.
//=============================================================================
class MovableSkyZone expands SkyZoneInfo;
replication
{
	reliable if( Role==ROLE_Authority )
		MyOrigin, PlayZoneOrigin, ScaleDown, ForceOnZone;
}

simulated function LinkToSkybox()
{
}

simulated function PreBeginPlay()
{
	Super.PreBeginPlay();
	MyOrigin = Location;
	if ( Level.NetMode == NM_DedicatedServer )
		Disable('Tick');
}
This is in the updated version of MovableSkyZone.u.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

I used what I found on my drives - that's probably OLD. Link me to the newer one, please...

Edit:I got something, okay, I'll check what I've found...
Edit2:
Said code (a bit newer) indeed it's working. But this is not like it makes me entirely happy. What is about ?
Map set as in original for being a plane field might be good or bad depending on situation. It's about ZRangehack variable from renders (me using D3D9), when this variable is True let me show you what I have - On-Line:
Tundra_ZRangedTrue.png
And this is with variable False:
Tundra_ZRangedFalse.png
And now I think this variable must be renamed in future renders ZRangeCrap or ZRangeTrash as long as this is what it does with maps jerking at people's work, it's not a "hack" in any way... Map was good but... WE DON'T HAVE Renders :P .
Last edited by sektor2111 on Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.