Tundra maps for CTF

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
[NBK]DxTrEm3Fx
Adept

Re: Tundra maps for CTF

Post by [NBK]DxTrEm3Fx »

Test server:
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

sektor2111 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:15 pm I used what I found on my drives - that's probably OLD. Link me to the newer one, please...

Edit:I got something, okay, I'll check what I've found...
OK.

Just in case other people want to check it out - it can be found here movableskyzone#p97574
[NBK]DxTrEm3Fx wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:21 pm Test server:
Looks OK on-line, which is good!
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

See what I found here during this time...
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14366&start=15#p126362
Indeed by using the right file (with net codes not the previous one) it should work...
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

[NBK]DxTrEm3Fx wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:52 pm I would think that if it works offline it will work online as well.
Simple example:
CTF-Face, offline you have those nice meteors circling the map. Offline those meteors are gone, because they are not replicated correct.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

sektor2111 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:15 pm It's about ZRangehack variable from renders (me using D3D9), when this variable is True let me show you what I have - On-Line:...
And now I think this variable must be renamed in future renders ZRangeCrap or ZRangeTrash as long as this is what it does with maps jerking at people's work, it's not a "hack" in any way... Map was good but... WE DON'T HAVE Renders :P .
Nice find! But ... this is a setting that can be set to True or False - set it to False if it causes problems in a particular instance and set it to True if it doesn't. There's nothing 'Crap' or 'Trash' about a setting that can be turned on or off - what would be Crap or Trash is if it could not be turned off!

Read through the discussions on this forum about this variable and you will see the reason for it and the positive effects it has.

Finally, as I've noted before, moving the SkyZoneInfo solved the problem for me and that was with ZRangeHack=True. And no, the map wasn't good, not with the SkyZoneInfo where it was.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

That fix screws map aspect - to me is not a fix when map is no longer looking original. By placing Skyzone at 1 unit over skybox's plane floor it looks closer to original but that Z thing ruins rendering with a nice HOM effect. That Z stuff is related with a "feature" probably one of those usual unfinished things when in fact a render should work without a bunch of settings and editing...

I'm thinking if it worth wasting too much time here and... maybe I will need to build another SkyBox, or maybe I need to setup a template for such cases for a more quick fix... Until to get a better idea I'll go to relax with one of those EMB-ified maps.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

sektor2111 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:55 pmThat Z stuff is related with a "feature" probably one of those usual unfinished things when in fact a render should work without a bunch of settings and editing...
On the ZRangeHack
TUTORIAL: Tweak your UT graphics to the maximum wrote: "ZRangeHack - True/False
An experimental option that can make the z-buffer work better for far away objects. Might cause unexpected problems, but doesn't seem to break anything major so far. Will fix problems with decals flickering in the distance with 24-bit z-buffers, which is the most you can get on many video cards. Will also fix the issue with the Redeemer covering up part of the HUD. Partially breaks weapon rendering on the first person view one if using wireframe debug mode (will clip near parts of it). Doesn't help enough to make 16-bit z-buffers work correctly.'
Surely a renderer needs settings so that the user can adjust it to suit what they want and to suit their system, including their video card - some of the settings improve performance in certain circumstances, some help debugging etc, etc. There's no inherent reason why a renderer "should work without a bunch of settings and editing". Anyway have a look at 373#p3266 for more information.

As I said earlier, it would be an issue if there was no way to turn the ZRangeHack off - that it can be turned on or off according to circumstances is fine and normal.

Anyway I've played thousands of maps with ZRangeHack=True, as you probably have, and this is the first time I've come across this kind of HOM issue - so it's hardly a big deal nor indicative of a significant problems with that feature/setting.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

It might be time for dynamicwater, or another type of SkyBox. That will be a brain homework for a future session, right now I went to some EMB map... results are looking promising with stock devs. Here perhaps it's time for a cute snow - I'll think a while at what might be matching map's theme...