[Release] DM-UFFOv2

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

[Release] DM-UFFOv2

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Friggin finally I'm done with this one, only took me like 4-5 years to make a small arena map I could fit in the 512k contest :ironic: :facepalm:

Tiny 2-4 player arena map. Can't die by falling off the map. Skaarj-ish themed. Bot pathing is... well it's there :mrgreen:

ENJOY! :highfive:

Mirror: https://unrealarchive.org/maps/unreal-t ... 34fdb.html
Attachments
DM-UFFOv2.zip
(2.19 MiB) Downloaded 39 times
Shot00002.jpg
Shot00001.jpg
Shot00000.jpg
sektor2111
Godlike

Re: [Release] DM-UFFO

Post by sektor2111 »

Interesting and nice, I like "TeleporterZone" but...
You could delete spam log, that's a debug, I'm guessing:

Code: Select all

ScriptLog: running...
XC_Engine: === Last line repeats 540 times.
Log: appRequestExit(0)
[NBK]DxTrEm3Fx
Adept

Post by [NBK]DxTrEm3Fx »

Excellent work. It's pretty cool. I like it.
debilman69
Average
Personal rank: yes

Post by debilman69 »

nice work men !
ImageImage

UnrealGGecko
Godlike

Post by UnrealGGecko »

sektor2111 wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:08 pm Interesting and nice, I like "TeleporterZone" but...
You could delete spam log, that's a debug, I'm guessing:

ScriptLog: running...
XC_Engine: === Last line repeats 540 times.
Log: appRequestExit(0)
Oof, will have to look whats up with that one. :oops:

Also forgot to write in the readme what the ZeroVTele does (it's basically a teleport that reduces the velocity to 0 when gone through, used to not have fall damage when going off the arena), will do so in a more than likely V2 :facepalm:
makemeunreal
Masterful

Post by makemeunreal »

Ugh, cool! A new release!
Looks and plays well.
Well done!

I hope we'll see more from you.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

UnrealGGecko wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:37 am Also forgot to write in the readme what the ZeroVTele does (it's basically a teleport that reduces the velocity to 0 when gone through,
I understand what it does but... let's say that's not exactly what I want. Epic in AS-Rook did exactly the reversal - throw pawn away from teleport, a collision crash is not exactly needed in game-play.
The rest it's... too nice. Very simply and well designed.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike

Post by UnrealGGecko »

simulated function timer()
{
	log("running...");
	bhidden = !bhidden;
}

I barely know anything about coding but I'm guessing this bit is what's causing the log spam. It's in the BlinkyLight. Can I just remove the log("running..."); line there?
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

:lol: There people can only ruin great stuff... :mrgreen: I'm kidding, yo...
You can keep log for other coders but not active. Set it as remark...

// log("running...",'TimerTest');
In other hand

/*
log ("running...",'TimerTest');
*/
Line sits there for future versions, but for now it's only a remark - seriously speaking I'm using such probing logs but later putting them on a remark in case that later I have some doubts about code.
After editing hit button hinted as "compile changed scripts" and save map with suffix "_editcheck" or something else.

PS: I'm talking about "future coding" because I think this can be improved:
- adding a configurable blinking period;
- morphing textures red green (whatever traffic lights);
- configurable textures;
- adding ON/OFF usage in whatever INI file - note: maps can have INI files as well;
- anything else which I don't have in my mind yet, but others might be X times more creative...
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Use "texture pallet loop", I am making a map right now with a bunch of examples with that. I can tell you a texture with 1, 2,3, 16 vertical black lines does not work. It seems to need a gradient ( I have not figured out why only black lines don't work, maybe it can't be 0 black, still working to figure that out)
BUT, just make a 512 texture with the color in the middle like from red to black or green to black, color in the center.

And you will have a nice smooth flashing light, depending on how sharp of the cut off is for the gradient.

Add the texture to the ,,,Display-Skin, of the light. plus between your texture and the speed setting of the light you can get the blinking just right, Try a 32 wide pixel gradient in the center, all the rest black, on a 512 texture.
You don't need to use a 512 texture, but it just gives you better resolution of the speed, but 256 will work just as good, but less refined, to flashy or to slow

And if you only want one texture affected, just use the special lit, and the bulb-light will glow without the other surfaces.
Or omni bump map if you want to light up meshes. to show the blinking on them.

And if you really want to get fancy, use a crystal mesh from the studs and place it as the light lens, use omni bump map , have a more 3D bright effect. :)

I see you are using the skin for the light, so you will need two lights, I don't know, but it's worth a try.
Last edited by Red_Fist on Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Binary Space Partitioning
UnrealGGecko
Godlike

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Map updated, just removed the log spam, thanks sektor!

@Red_Fist I'll try to play around with that, thank you, but I won't make a new version for that. Already had this in my wip folder for too long :P
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

UnrealGGecko wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:51 pm Map updated, just removed the log spam, thanks sektor!

@Red_Fist I'll try to play around with that, thank you, but I won't make a new version for that. Already had this in my wip folder for too long :P
Well I was wrong on that 512 0r 256, it seems you can use a 2 by 2 texture, but I can't seem to make it a perfect spaced blink. They are using "pallet" so I think all you need is the top 4 pixels rows of the texture. It seems it needs more on time than black off time.

I was thinking more of a slow effect rather than on off.Oh well, LoL, I am still messing with it see if I can make sense of the timing compared to how the texture is made. :noidea

I just started on this test map yesterday, but it isn't doing like I thought. it's "pallet" but NOT the texture picture the picture could look like anything but not reflect the pallet use.

Oh, and the ones you are using seem to be a good thing, they work good.

ADD
Yep, that is what it is, I could edit pallet in paint net, top half black, bottom half red, and I now have a red blinking light. So now I will see how texture size matters.
Binary Space Partitioning
Hook
Inhuman
Personal rank: UT99 Promoter/Admin

Post by Hook »

Hey, very cool looking Gecko! :tu:
=Hook=(Member# 626)
HUTP Active Forums: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net/forum
HUTP UT99 Community Portal: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net/
OR: https://hermskii.com/hook/ut99_hutp/
UT99 Server -> CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM}

* Newest Versions of: PRO-Redeemers | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemers | PRO-SEEKER-Redeemers <-(the Original)
and Now with FOOD FIGHT and Frying Pan arena !!!
IP: 68.232.181.236:7777 <-(NEW IP to come)
UT99 MH Server -> {CMH} CROSSBONES Monster Hunt (MH) by Mars007 (The Original) - IP: 108.61.238.93:7777