UnrealArchive.org

Share interesting stuff you have found or created yourself.
Barbie
Godlike

Re: UnrealArchive.org

Post by Barbie »

The idea of providing a link to missing files will fail at that moment where packages have same names bit different contents (just for example "spinner.u"). Or imagine garbage like "MyLevel.utx".
BSP errors are not always a big deal; I've seen maps where they were concealed by decoration or other brushes. Also duplicate actors are not a real problem in my view. And if the number of PlayerStarts in a CTF map is uneven, who cares, if the game play is great? So technical properties should only be a hint but not a judgement. See for example Destination Unreal (DU) with the chapter "Mappers correctness". That claims the truth when a map is "correct" or not.

In my view the best solution would be a possibility for (registered) users to add comment(s) to each package at UnrealArchive.org.

A note to missing files: for example I left out "MonsterHunt.u" in my archives because the dependency is logically not given by the map but the MonsterHunt mod. Downloaders should have no problem to gain that file. Also it's a question if files of any UTBonusPack should be added or not.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Barbie wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:05 am Also duplicate actors are not a real problem in my view.
It depends on what actor is duplicated - seriously I see what a doubled mover did and some "undeleted" decos - and then, like I said, this stuff is revealing what else is "great" over there... I don't run corruptions in my games and then I think others having the same target will need to know what to avoid.

Yes, PlayerStarts in CTF are not a big problem in my server. I'm using a "switch-bases" tool which is changing red base with blue base and back a few times in a game and then every player will attack or defend both Flag locations in the same Game Session. Of course, that toy might need some love, probably is place for better codes... But when said CTF map lacks in paths to Flags this should prevent wasting time with tests and downloads...
If "FlagBase.upStreamPaths[0] == -1" then you can forget map or load it directly Editor... because there is not too much CTF over there, especially if reachSpecs are > 8000. That's a "desperate fool" specific work, nothing valid - it's guessing not skill. Also settings for SP only should be noticed.

Those DU stars for me are less relevant - who is rating map ? How much experience has like admin hosting games ? I know some of those maps - for me those are -10 stars quality. I don't like even movers with "defaulttexture", jesters were not having any clue how to make a mover - I won't ask about their settings then... but if map is not crushing or locking game, perhaps some "players" will have fun laughing at that Jelly texture.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Barbie wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:05 am The idea of providing a link to missing files will fail at that moment where packages have same names bit different contents (just for example "spinner.u").
Yes, that's a good point - the only solution in that case would be a link to each relevant package page and for the user to then either download and try each package to see which one worked or, if relevant, to check the hash of each package against the hash of the version of the package that the user may already have.

NOTE
Links to uttexture.com no longer work and haven't done for quite some time (get a Connection Reset error message) - the site seems to have 'disappeared' - in fact a check confirms that "Uttexture.com is PARKED The website is either expired or listed for sale..." so, unfortunately, it looks like it has gone for good.

Links to ut99maps.gamezoo.org resolve to the page rather than to a specific zip file - though this may be intentional?
Rikia
Experienced
Personal rank: Masterful

Post by Rikia »

Unreal Archive neural network was confused by author names in my "RikiaUSPC" archive.

https://github.com/unreal-archive/unrea ... a/pull/445

It put Bungie West as author of mod instead of me. Can you change it?
Shrimp
Adept

Post by Shrimp »

Rikia wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:15 pm Unreal Archive neural network was confused by author names in my "RikiaUSPC" archive.

Fixed :D
ShrimpWorks
Unreal Archive - preserving over 25 years of user-created content for the Unreal series!
Rikia
Experienced
Personal rank: Masterful

Post by Rikia »

Shrimp wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:59 am
Rikia wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:15 pm Unreal Archive neural network was confused by author names in my "RikiaUSPC" archive.

Fixed :D
Thanks.
More cared about possible problems for the site that maybe could appear in the future, because of a real studio name.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Latest Additions -> 15 February 2021 -> CTF-FSW-Hotel-FreakShow2021

For some reason there are things incorrect in, or missing from, Map Information :
a) No screenshots though there are several specified in LevelInfo and included in MyLevel;
b) Player Count = Unknown, though in the LevelInfo this is given as 2 - 24;
c) AI/Bot Support = No, though the map does indeed have bot support (it is pathed).
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Fore mentioned map it's pretty well executed as far as I can see, demonstrating that making good maps for UT and UE1 it's possible. If analysis assets are "surprised" about a well executed map... that's another thing to solve...
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Search function is on the blink... for those not familiar with that slang, it's not working.

Has been this past week, but I was initially hoping it would eventually start working again.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Well this archive is already dang useful. I reinstalled a new UT, patches etc. I had my old stuff in the old directory. Went back and got version of a test map. See now I put things in, that was not stock files :x .

So I load the editor and seen each file one at a time, I think it was 3 files I needed that were missing.
I went on duckduckgo, my default search, I pasted the file name of what I used and used quotes. It led my right to the maps that had the files I needed on UnrealArchive, boom ! ,,instant fixed map, it's an awesome thing if you think about it.

My new test map is now all stock UT. :barf:

It's also better than from in the past, when you had to visit each site with known files you need, or want.

:tu: :tu: :tu:
Binary Space Partitioning
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

You obviously don't have to, but I'd think you'd wanna remove this one:
https://unrealarchive.org/maps/unreal-t ... 75ece.html
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

EvilGrins wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:01 am You obviously don't have to, but I'd think you'd wanna remove this one:
https://unrealarchive.org/maps/unreal-t ... 75ece.html
Yeah, the name is edgy. To be fair a lot of the UT community in the past used to be edgy youngins. Now, is there any content in the actual map that could be deemed offensive? I wouldn't agree with removing a map just because of the name - it's still technically UT history - but I wouldn't want said recorded history to be stained either.
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Gustavo6046 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:55 pm Yeah, the name is edgy. To be fair a lot of the UT community in the past used to be edgy youngins. Now, is there any content in the actual map that could be deemed offensive? I wouldn't agree with removing a map just because of the name - it's still technically UT history - but I wouldn't want said recorded history to be stained either.
Edgy??!! Have a look at the screenshot and at the map description and decide for yourself.

One really has to wonder where that's person's head was - in what world is 'that' an appropriate theme for a map? A close second to that map are the 9/11 'tribute' maps - seeking to commemorate the several thousand people who died by making a map for people to run around in killing each other!!! In poor taste is the least one can say about all that. End of rant.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

:roll:

more cancel BS
Binary Space Partitioning
ividyon
Average
Personal rank: UnrealSP.org Staff

Post by ividyon »

Though it's a little sad to see the name of the site chosen this way, considering we already had an Unreal Archives dot com for Unreal SP maps for a few years, and this choice of name will lead to some search engine infighting between them, this is nonetheless an indispensable resource, big kudos on making it. :) Particularly a big fan of the package check and information on what's included and what isn't, I wonder how it was made!
Also known as: sana
UnrealSP.org - the premier Unreal single player site