CTF-Cannons-TOXIC-REDUX-[SLV]

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

CTF-Cannons-TOXIC-REDUX-[SLV]

Post by EvilGrins »

Ever since I edited that "Jets in Space" map I've learned 2 things:
· I love maps with flying vehicles.
· I am a terrible pilot.

A lot of forums that use any of the flying type mutators, that swap redeemers with something players can ride, I've noticed from the videos they post that they don't tend to feature much in the way of competition. It's almost as though the primary focus is to make maps for the videos but not for any opposition to face off against. So I've been looking for maps that could be ideal for such scenarios...
...and here we are!

This is an edit of a map by R3plicant. Original is here:
https://unrealarchive.org/maps/unreal-t ... d82be.html

I may do further edits with UTDMmonsters, but for now this is sufficient. Each base has a ut2k4 cannon guarding the flag and, thanks to Nelsona, this map has both bot-pathing and SLV-pathing, the latter of which is mostly for the bots' benefit. Not that you'll see bots take the flag while flying, but I have seen a bot run to the enemy base, get the flag, and then launch SLV to fly back to their own base and tag it up.

This map is most ideal for mutators of SLV (StrangeLove) but it can also handle RX (Rocket-X) and even Rosebum's Flying Saucer (Alien-X) if you have it...
...which I do!

Like I said, I'm not a great pilot but there's enough room on this map that I can largely avoid crashing into anything. Map is a little longer/wider than HallOfGiants and that suits me fine. There are tunnels below and above that are linked with Warp Zones.

All in all, I think this is an ideal map for those that love to fly...
...but I'd appreciate some actual pilots to give it a go and let me know for sure.

Usual Suspects:
.u - /system
.umx - /music
.unr - /maps
.utx - /textures
.png - Pwetty!

Enjoy!
https://www.mediafire.com/file/g7hdvmio ... UX-SLV.zip
Last edited by EvilGrins on Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
esnesi
Godlike
Personal rank: Dialed in.

Re: CTF-Cannons-TOXIC-REDUX-[SLV]

Post by esnesi »

Thanks!
Nice tribute to R3plicant as well with his beautiful w00t textures.
Locked and loaded on the FFN server! :)
Metalfist
Masterful
Personal rank: ^,..,^ rawr

Post by Metalfist »

Afaik R3p told me he doesn't allow edits of his maps fyi (I asked specifically on Toxic). Should also at least mention him in your post or link the original map...
I've noticed from the videos they post that they don't tend to feature much in the way of competition. It's almost as though the primary focus is to make maps for the videos but not for any opposition to face off against.
I don't get what you mean with that they don't feature much for competition? These maps are made for public large scale (10+ players) CTF SLV matches. The big size is to reduce spam tendencies and easy flying for newbies. However if you are skilled you can do some mid air collisions, have some yellow jacket action to shoot ppl from their rocket (possibly with udamage) and if you use double jump/jump boots you can combine that with the arrow boosters to jump across the map. Also when you fly over an arrow booster with your slv you will "save up" that boosted jump, so it will be applied when you jump off your rocket.

Plus bot support was scrapped in later SLV versions, because it didn't work well enough.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Actually this one has ground paths only, if SLV mod used can deal with such things chaining some guidance in run-time it will be useful somehow... But... of course there are 3-4 maps (perhaps more) having native flight paths (for mods supporting native flight navigation). Those are doable in 227 for whoever understands what is needed for this task - no... there isn't any tutorial here, no worries, save your time from looking for ghosts...
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Metalfist wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:12 amAfaik R3p told me he doesn't allow edits of his maps fyi (I asked specifically on Toxic).
I tried reaching out to him for a couple months but he didn't respond to any email i could find on him, and I didn't see a restriction on edits either.
Metalfist wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:12 amShould also at least mention him in your post or link the original map...
He is, I always credit the original mapper. He's listed in the selection window which you can see in-game.
Metalfist wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:12 amI don't get what you mean with that they don't feature much for competition?
Every time I see videos of SLV/RX the only one flying around on vehicles is the person that made the video. I've never seen one where they're actively playing against other players, or bots, or auto-cannons, or anything.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:48 am
Metalfist wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:12 amShould also at least mention him in your post or link the original map...
He is, I always credit the original mapper. He's listed in the selection window which you can see in-game.
I think the point is to acknowledge the original mapper to a greater extent than simply retaining the name in the map screenshot. So, for example, giving an acknowledgement in the post for the map download as suggested and/or providing the original mapper's readme in the download zip (and add your details, etc to the readme) - adding the original readme has the advantage of acknowledging other people who may have contributed to the original map plus possibly providing other useful/interesting information about the map.

If you have a look at what Barbie does, you'll see that a link to the original map is provided together with details of the changes that Barbie has made - this makes it clear who is responsible for what in the map.
Metalfist
Masterful

Post by Metalfist »

EvilGrins wrote:I tried reaching out to him for a couple months but he didn't respond to any email i could find on him, and I didn't see a restriction on edits either.
Then you don't have permission simple as that. I know R3p didn't wanted it to be edited as he told me before. So unless he now says otherwise, it is not allowed.

OjitroC is correct. You should at least mention the original author in your post here.
EvilGrins wrote:Every time I see videos of SLV/RX the only one flying around on vehicles is the person that made the video. I've never seen one where they're actively playing against other players, or bots, or auto-cannons, or anything.
Then you haven't seen the slv matches videos and there were a lot of matches going on back in the day. Doesn't make the map not competitive, just because there are no other players around. Bots don't work well with SLV and even if they fly they either crash into things or are so slow and easy to kill. So it is only played with real players.

Here's a playlist:
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Metalfist wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:24 pmThen you haven't seen the slv matches videos and there were a lot of matches going on back in the day
Obviously I haven't... most of the vids for these type maps I've seen have been in the specific mapper's development thread, where said mappers usually don't show any competition.
OjitroC wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:16 pmI think the point is to acknowledge the original mapper to a greater extent than simply retaining the name in the map screenshot. So, for example, giving an acknowledgement in the post for the map download as suggested and/or providing the original mapper's readme in the download zip
Fair enough but not always so easy. Many maps I've had for years, and the sites I got them from no longer exist. And this particular mapper I got this one from is similar to me, he doesn't use ReadMe files in his .zip files (I only add one when I'm uploading a map to UTzone as it's a requirement there).

I'm not even sure the download for this one is on UnrealArchive, tired to check yesterday, but the search function is on the blink again.
Metalfist wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:24 pm
EvilGrins wrote:I tried reaching out to him for a couple months but he didn't respond to any email i could find on him, and I didn't see a restriction on edits either.
Then you don't have permission simple as that. I know R3p didn't wanted it to be edited as he told me before. So unless he now says otherwise, it is not allowed.
Clearly, but I've been over this in this forum before. I'm a stickler for getting permission and crediting, and I've been informed in previous threads that after awhile I may be waiting too long... some mappers are gone and never coming back.

However, this particular mapper is, apparently, a member of this forum; not sure how I missed that. So, I've linked him to this thread and spelled out the situation... and he got back to me faster than I anticipated.
Attachments
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzClip0002.png
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Woow, so it wasn't such critical situation after all...
I don't even understand that if a map is empty and a random player wants to play it Off-Line, 50 times, with Bots out of a server purpose, why a public file should not be modified for a temporary period. What exactly is the problem ? Does this causes a new Covid mutation ? Else if map adjusted is better than original what's the problem ?
At UnrealArchive.Org there are a few very good looking maps but they are obviously messed up at paths or have no paths. I don't see why I would be supposed to look at them Off-Line and playing a trash game for no purpose - perhaps it's time for everyone to understand simple things: navigation Combos linking, bad ledges, Reachable for Bot and The Logic and Reality from Unreal/UT Pawn's Movement.
Metalfist
Masterful

Post by Metalfist »

@sektor2111 Feel free to write bot pathing tutorials in the mapping section ;)
It's a subject a lot of ppl struggle with.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

sektor2111 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:05 amI don't even understand that if a map is empty and a random player wants to play it Off-Line, 50 times, with Bots out of a server purpose, why a public file should not be modified for a temporary period.
Think it's the tradition of the thing, that what you describe is not such a big deal (as most wouldn't know about it) but crediting and getting permission is a definitely required when sharing it with others.

I try to get permission all the time, but not all mappers are so easy to reach. I've got emails I sent out years ago, a couple over a decade ago, asking permissions that I never heard back from.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

There is also an alternate option: playing a good map without adding trash files as dependencies for "embedded" pawns doing only spam errors having nothing to do with plain CTF game, and without to adjust anything as long as such a map even if it's dated 2006, it's just... GREAT in all the way - such as CTF-300k-Suranaar. I gotta admit I think I'm really getting older else I don't have a clue how did I missed this good thing. I've added it in public M.G.S. and I will mark it in NavAdder for preventing searching for patch files as long as this one doesn't need anything - no editing permissions and such, and... it's not the only map executed like that.

Someone should start a topic somewhere in mapping and adding names of such good maps, balanced, pathed and well designed for players which are used to play quality stuff - or maybe not, as long as I recall such a topic with "great outdoor" maps, and it wasn't anything that great there - not all people are understanding the term "quality", maybe they need to change their translators...
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

sektor2111 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:25 amGREAT in all the way - such as CTF-300k-Suranaar. I gotta admit I think I'm really getting older else I don't have a clue how did I missed this good thing.
Ooooh, you're right. That is pretty!
Attachments
Shot0196.png
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

A few of the 300K maps are pretty good.
CTF-300k-AsthmaII <= those supposed to be a 2
CTF-300K-ElectricDream
CTF-300k-Blitocracy
CTF-300k-NaliTown
CTF-300k-Recondita
CTF-300K-Derelict
CTF-300K-Descent
CTF-300K-FrozenFrag
CTF-300k-Glycerin
CTF-300K-IdesOfMarch
CTF-300kB3Tresselbrine2 <= very good example of pathing without a path-node.
CTF-300k-Shank

DM-300K-DantesArena <= The only DM map I liked from this pack.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

papercoffee wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:08 am CTF-300kB3Tresselbrine2 <= very good example of pathing without a path-node.
Sticky info for an old post telling that InventorySpot is bEndPoint and it's still recommended PathNnode usage while Polge (the man writing these assets) said something different and reality demonstrates that InventorySpot can substitute a PathNode in all the way, you don't need to load map just for the sake of adding paths. Too bad that tutorials are not having a valid and true information...
Either way here I must be agree that some of those 300k are true jewels in geometry execution and pathing. Who said that there is no map in UT without bugs ? Lies... UT has good maps because of good guys not cube drawers unable to understand what Unreal Zoning is and their brain will explode if you as them for pathing, lol.