The Vale : Evelyn

Maps, mods and resources ported from or to Unreal.
Must run in UT99 or with Oldskool Amp'd.
Unreal 227 only projects are "Off-Topic"
OjitroC
Godlike

The Vale : Evelyn

Post by OjitroC »

Anyone who enjoys SP maps and hasn't yet played this should check it out. It's an epic map in every sense - huge, well designed and well executed - engaging and gripping - a great atmosphere and sense of place - well paced with exciting combat. I was certainly drawn into it when I played it and had to carry on until I completed it.

This is a review of the map that aptly outlines its attractions - The Vale - the map can be found at the beginning of the thread, though it looks like a revised version will be out soon.

There are screenshots at the top of that thread as well - this is one showing some waterfalls on the main river that flows through the map down to the sea (after completing the map it's worth floating down the river from its source just to take in the well crafted terrain).
jDH8bUI.jpg
ExpEM
Adept

Re: The Vale : Evelyn

Post by ExpEM »

I second this, it's a great map!
Signature goes here.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Now online on my public MonsterHunt server. It still needs some tweaks like more monster, better located PlayerStarts, readable TranslatorEvents, but I'm working on it to add this at run time.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

To Do List:
1. Add teleport to pass inside close area by trap mover in Cave after it close.
2. More weapons. Especially at start.
3. More monsters.
4. Fix translator events.
5. Fix shortcut systems via translocs with green team sign.
6. Maybe some guidance how pass map.
7. After waterfall lever pushed make transporter work for return back. Possible by buttons located nearby.
8. Maybe move PlayerStart's to prevent die idlers.
9. Exclude Nali from part of gameplay process. For example event Basement1 produced by AlarmPoint for Nali and you can not open basement door in other way.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Sad:
ucc.init.log wrote:MH-Vale_Evelyn.KHMBase0.state FindDuplicateActors LOG_Error: Duplicate Actor name for SPWarningSign1
MH-Vale_Evelyn.KHMBase0.state FindDuplicateActors LOG_Error: Duplicate Actor name for SPWheel1
MH-Vale_Evelyn.KHMBase0.state FindDuplicateActors LOG_Error: Duplicate Actor name for Dice20
MH-Vale_Evelyn.KHMBase0.state FindDuplicateActors LOG_Error: Duplicate Actor name for Dice21
MH-Vale_Evelyn.KHMBase0.state FindDuplicateActors LOG_Error: Duplicate Actor name for Dice22
MH-Vale_Evelyn.KHMBase0.state FindDuplicateActors LOG_Error: Duplicate Actor name for Dice23
MH-Vale_Evelyn.KHMBase0.state FindDuplicateActors LOG_Error: Duplicate Actor name for Dice24
MH-Vale_Evelyn.KHMBase0.state FindDuplicateActors LOG_Error: Duplicate Actor name for Dice25
MH-Vale_Evelyn.KHMBase0.state FindDuplicateActors LOG_Error: Duplicate Actor name for Dice26
MH-Vale_Evelyn.KHMBase0.state FindDuplicateActors LOG_Error: Duplicate Actor name for Dice27
MH-Vale_Evelyn.KHMBase0.state FindDuplicateActors LOG_Error: Duplicate Actor name for Dice28
MH-Vale_Evelyn.KHMBase0.state FindDuplicateActors LOG_Error: Duplicate Actor name for Dice29
MH-Vale_Evelyn.KHMBase0.state FindDuplicateActors LOG_Error: Duplicate Actor name for Dice30
MH-Vale_Evelyn.KHMBase0.state FindDuplicateActors LOG_Error: Duplicate Actor name for Dice31
MH-Vale_Evelyn.KHMBase0.state FindDuplicateActors LOG_Error: Duplicate Actor name for Dice32
MH-Vale_Evelyn.KHMBase0.state FindDuplicateActors LOG_Error: Duplicate Actor name for Dice33
MH-Vale_Evelyn.KHMBase0.state FindDuplicateActors LOG_Error: Duplicate Actor name for Panel855
MH-Vale_Evelyn.KHMBase0.state FindDuplicateActors LOG_Error: Duplicate Actor name for Panel858
MH-Vale_Evelyn.KHMBase0.state FindDuplicateActors LOG_Error: total amount of duplicate names: 19
But I didn't notice any issues cause by duplicate Actors.

Also some static Actors are set to none static, what does not work in online game.
Buggie wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:53 am 9. Exclude Nali from part of gameplay process. For example event Basement1 produced by AlarmPoint for Nali and you can not open basement door in other way.
If that basement door is closed, one can leave the cellar by the tube into the water.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

Barbie wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:10 am But I didn't notice any issues cause by duplicate Actors.
I think if this stuff is deco or others harmless actors not involved into actions - all goods.
Problems starts when you try use it in UScript code or when this actors act like monsters do. Duplicate Mantas for example.

Typical stuff when you work in UEd with map pushed limits.
Barbie wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:10 am If that basement door is closed, one can leave the cellar by the tube into the water.
Yep. But i prefer walk on stairs not jump in well.
Same as I usually enter to building by door, not by window.

Also exists room in castle kitchen. There Another Nali and another door which can be open only by him.
------
But in fact, the main problem at the moment is this lever in the waterfall.

He just flips this cart across the chasm.
If you press it twice, the cart will come back.

You run to the waterfall, pull the lever and run to the cart.
While you are on the way, your teammate also ran after you to the waterfall. "Oh lever!" and he presses it again.

You run to the cart, and it is on the other side. GRRRR!!! :satan:

You go to the waterfall again ...
Your teammates are waiting.
You push the lever.
Then you return to them.
The cart starts instantly as you enter it. Therefore, some of the teammates fall down and break.
One of them shoots you randomly and knocks you down. You crash. :pfff:

You come back and the cart is on the other side.
You go to the waterfall ... :omfg:

This stuff must work as:
Once pushed, waterfall lever enable proximity triggers which call the cart from each side.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

A common patch plugin would move PlayerStart in another location and adding to NavigationPointList other 7-8 pieces over ground because this is what would match multiplayer and On-line gaming + doing triggering properly and not toggling anything, either way activating some teleporters, my two cents.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

As noted in the thread linked to earlier, the author fashahhh is working on a revised version of the map that will be coop-compatible and perhaps this version will address some of the issues raised in trying to convert a map designed to be played by a single person off-line into a MH map played by a number of people online.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

OjitroC wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:24 pm the author fashahhh is working on a revised version of the map that will be coop-compatible and perhaps this version will address some of the issues
Nice to read this. :tu:

What I don't understand is the activation process for the cable car. It can be activated by the lever behind the water fall, yes. But there is a trigger (Trigger12) that moves with the cable car and has set RepeatTriggerTime=21?
Properties of Trigger12
Properties of Trigger12
Maybe that was the reason why the cable car returned suddenly in the way to other side.

I have changed that as follows:

Code: Select all

if (FindActorByName('Trigger12', A))
		if (FindActorByName('Mover7', A2, 'CableCar'))
		{
			Mover(A2).BumpEvent = A.Event;
			PatchCount++;
			if (A.Destroy())
				PatchCount++;
		}
(Remove Trigger12 and set cable car's BumpEvent to itself's Tag.)
Buggie wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:22 amThis stuff must work as:
Once pushed, waterfall lever enable proximity triggers which call the cart from each side.
Good idea, I'll patch that in. :rock:
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

Buggie wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:22 am Also exists room in castle kitchen. There Another Nali and another door which can be open only by him.
AlarmPoint9. Event RazorSecret1.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

With 469b no duplicate Actors are detected by my code anymore?
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

Barbie wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:53 pm With 469b no duplicate Actors are detected by my code anymore?
Hardly to say, not see your code.

Also this look like off-topic here and better we discuss that in v469 topic.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

The Vale : Evelyn V1.1 has been released - at The Vale.