Attempted mapping advice...

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Attempted mapping advice...

Post by EvilGrins »

Guy responded to one of my screenshot posts on FB, asked me a question regarding mapping something and I'm trying to help him out, though I may have to try and get him to join this forum and hope one of you can.

In the meantime, any ideas?
Attachments
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzClip0001.png
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzClip0002.png
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Myth
Inhuman
Personal rank: Low Poly Freak

Re: Attempted mapping advice...

Post by Myth »

You can use an IceTexture to get a scrolling effect. You can probably combine it with AnimNext, so you could probably make a monitor that switches between textures which scroll. Probably. OR you can do some really custom stuff with ScriptedTexture but that requires some scriptingr.
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

This looks like the guy is searching for AnimNext. Then adjust the framerate of the cycle. It should be easy enough.
You must construct additional pylons.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

In MH-BatlingLottery I used a Mover over other texture having multiple frames for a computer BSOD effect.

As I recall there are even other maps "converted" to MH using movers for simulating whatever stuff. In MH-TrainCommando I even stopped a Panning texture for simulating a train stopped and mission successful (but not everyone is interested about MyLevel things :mrgreen: )
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Check out CTF-(FSW) Hotel-FreakShow2021.unr (link on this forum and on UnrealArchive) - there's a computer monitor on the reception desk and the monitor scrolls through the map's screenshots. Seems to be what the OP is after?
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Hellkeeper wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:50 am This looks like the guy is searching for AnimNext. Then adjust the framerate of the cycle. It should be easy enough.
That's what I suggested (I'm the blue bits up there) but he wants it to scroll, not just switch in sequence.
OjitroC wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:38 pm Check out CTF-(FSW) Hotel-FreakShow2021.unr (link on this forum and on UnrealArchive) - there's a computer monitor on the reception desk and the monitor scrolls through the map's screenshots. Seems to be what the OP is after?
I'll recommend it, after I can track down a download for it. Is it on UA?
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:29 pm That's what I suggested (I'm the blue bits up there) but he wants it to scroll, not just switch in sequence.
I think when he says scroll, he means switch or move from one frame to another - I think he was saying he wasn't referring to the screenshots in the map selection window.
EvilGrins wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:29 pm I'll recommend it, after I can track down a download for it. Is it on UA?
Yep, it's in the Recent Additions plus under CTF and it's in a thread on here as well.

Looking at that map, the map's screenshot textures are used on the computer monitor and they cycle from one to another as they would in the Map selection window.
DavidLightman
Novice

Post by DavidLightman »

Hey everyone. I’m the guy with the question. Didn’t ask it in a forum because I cannot remember what to call it.

I want a tv screen to scroll (switch, not pan) thought a list of pre determined textures. I have don’t it before but just cannot remember what I did to make it work before.

If you’ve been on the FSB sniper server, you may have entered a teleporter that takes you to a RickRoll room, where you have to listen the “Never Gonna Give You Up”, and watch as the walls of the room scroll through images of Rick Astley, while you try to figure out how to get the hell out of there. Obviously I made those a while ago, RickRoll isn’t a thing anymore. :)

I have been working on new maps again and want a Monitor to switch between a few different images. It was fairly easy as I was able to do it. I thought it was something to do with importing the textures into the .utx in a way, but when I look at my RRfile I see nothing special.

Thank for you time gang,

David
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

So what you want is that the picture stays for a few seconds, then pans to a new one and stops for a few second? I have a hard time figuring what you are trying to do.
You must construct additional pylons.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

DavidLightman wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:14 am I want a tv screen to scroll (switch, not pan) thought a list of pre determined textures. I have don’t it before but just cannot remember what I did to make it work before.
Hi!

As I've indicated earlier, in the map I referred to the mapper has a monitor cycling through the map's screenshots. These are linked by the AnimNext property.

I think you need to import the textures you want to use into MyLevel; right click on the pic/texture you want to appear first; go to Properties -> Animation -> NextAnim and add the name of the pic/texture you want to appear next; set the framerates; and repeat until you've added all the pic/texture names. Then apply the first pic/texture to your tv screen.

The map I'm talking about can be found here.
DavidLightman
Novice

Post by DavidLightman »

The perfect example of "when you don't know how to word a question"..

Reading you reply, the wording "Animation -> NextAnim" triggered my memory. I was getting hung up on the advise to add textures to MyLevel, again, because I did not know the wording to ask my question, I was confusing as to what I was looking to do.

I created a utx file, imported the images I wanted, and edited the properties of each image I wanted in the series so they switch to the NextAnim as described. Works perfectly.

Thanks for all the wisdom,

David.
This message has been sent with approval of the robot overlord. :help:
This message may have been redacted; spelling errors and/or confusing language may result.