Looking for an old map/map-pack

Do you search a certain mutator, mod, skin, map, everything else?
mman
Novice

Looking for an old map/map-pack

Post by mman »

I asked about this on the discord a bit ago but it seems no-one has found anything yet, and I see this is the forum for asking about "lost" maps:

There's a map I made as part of an old contest; the main thing I remember is that it was based around building onto a provided template (which was somewhat vertical from what I recall). At this point I've looked through basically every archive I can find, but nothing seems to ring a bell, and any search I do for any usernames I might have had back then (where that's possible) just brings up levels I already know about. I believe it released sometime between 2001 and 2003, and it is likely linked to Beyond Unreal or Nali City in some way as those were my main UT forums at the time. I don't think there were any specific limits to the contest except for staying inside the template; I recall my entry was Coret-themed, but other entries presumably used different sets. I believe it was DM-only, but I might be wrong about that.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Re: Looking for an old map/map-pack

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Would likely need a search through the Wayback Machine for this one, I'll see what info I can dig up, only contest I know that was what you describe was the Unreal Playground's 2006 TDC contest:
https://unrealarchive.org/mappacks/unre ... 45a29.html

I only started playing in the 2010's, but I tend to dig through places for more maps and things. Best bet is to try to remember as much as you can. Any other possible locations like PlanetUnreal? Insite?

EDIT: ok found your old BeyondUnreal profile
https://forums.beyondunreal.com/members ... itu.27081/
either it wasn't BU or it was before November 2001, seems there was a move between servers back then or something?
mman
Novice

Post by mman »

UnrealGGecko wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:00 pmEDIT: ok found your old BeyondUnreal profile
Oh no :oops:

Thanks; that seems to show that it wasn't BeyondUnreal in that period (I also found my old site and that didn't have any clues either). I probably went on PlanetUnreal a lot back then, I'm less sure on Insite though. The basic premise of the theme design contest is definitely something that seems closest to what I remember, but it's not quite the same (in this you directly built on the base rather than making something very similar) and it happened quite a bit earlier than that.

Also someone else PM'ed me a link to a resposity of DM mappacks, but it seems I can't PM back here yet. I've already looked at all the packs I could find for something like this, but I did find a few I overlooked to at least narrow it down more, so thanks.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

These suggestions are long shots and laborious, being aimed at trying to locate the map pack, but may be worth an investigation :

You could try going through the 2015 grab of Rushbase on Internet Archive warc_ut_rushbase_net_20151204 - there's a lot of it though - I think the os.cdx files are some kind of index to the contents of the warc so you may be able to read those to narrow down the search.

Also if you search Internet Archive, there's a large AtomicGamer rip that includes much 'stuff' from BU - this is easier to look through as the maps and other files can be downloaded individually.

Carbon uploaded a load of map packs, plus other files, in this thread just over a year ago carbon#p116754 - looks like the Dropbox links don't work any more but perhaps someone downloaded all the stuff and kept the archives intact (so you could ask on here)? I did download the map packs but I don't now have any of the archives having unzipped them all some time ago.

A dumb suggestion which you've probably already tried - if you did readmes with your maps and you listed your creations, have you looked at all the ones you can find for a possible clue to the map name?
UTPe
Masterful
Personal rank: Dude

Post by UTPe »

hi,
take a look at http://ut99maps.gamezoo.org, you can find also several map packs, maybe it may help.

cheers,
Pietro
Personal map database: http://www.ut99maps.net

"These are the days that we will return to one day in the future only in memories." (The Midnight)
mman
Novice

Post by mman »

Thanks for these. Unfortunately I already checked the UT part of the AtomicGamer archive and couldn't find anything, and the gamezoo site (which doesn't mean it isn't there since I've only checked the DM and mappack/mixed sections of sites and maybe it had some really unintuitive name). I was hoping I listed my maps in a readme/website but it seems not.

Guess I'll have to give that Rushbase archive a try next, unless the contents of those Carbon archives aren't uploaded to the main archive sites already.