DM-Skaun][ - Beta 1

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Pikko
Skilled
Personal rank: Old ClanMan

Re: DM-Skaun][ - Beta 1

Post by Pikko »

Thank you for pointing out the most obvious. There was of course an open space between the letters. Not a professional thing to do ;-) Thanks
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Metalfist wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:32 am Yeah don't use spaces in the filename. Otherwise maybe the ][ is causing trouble. I think I remember once having trouble with some file because of fancy symbols.
Those are just square brackets, nothing fancy about them (unless you live in the MS-DOS era or something).

Epic themselves used specifically "][" a lot in map names, so I wouldn't think that is the issue.

Ultimately it's got to be the space.
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Metalfist wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:32 amYeah don't use spaces in the filename. Otherwise maybe the ][ is causing trouble. I think I remember once having trouble with some file because of fancy symbols.
The filename doesn't have to identically be the same as the name of the map. Especially due to the "][" which always gets busted into a bunch of numbers and symbols... why I dunno.

For some reason ][ gets twisted into %5D%5.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:40 pm The filename doesn't have to identically be the same as the name of the map. Especially due to the "][" which always gets busted into a bunch of numbers and symbols... why I dunno.

For some reason ][ gets twisted into %5D%5.
When? By what? If you compress it into a .uz? Compressing a map with ][ in the map name (as in DM-Skaun][.unr) works fine.

It's the map file that is being compressed so if you want to compress the map DM-Skaun][.unr to a .uz then you could name it something else but then it will decompress with the other name.
darksonny
Adept

Post by darksonny »

where is the download link?
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

darksonny wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:55 am where is the download link?
Looks like it's still a beta and so not finished yet.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

EvilGrins wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:40 pmFor some reason ][ gets twisted into %5D%5.
Probably it is "%5D%5B". This is simply the URL encoding for "][".
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Pikko
Skilled

Post by Pikko »

"Release" DM-Skaun][-Rc1
**//-REMARK

I'm not saying that this Map is perfect, but there are certainly many things that can be improved.
As a wise man once said. When to say stop? I am receptive to constructive feedback,
so we'll see if I want to change anything. It is the artist's choice ;-)

**//-END
:what:
Last edited by Pikko on Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Good little map - nice layout provides a natural flow around the map - good design and use of textures, plus bringing the outside in, creates a distinct 'space' with character and identity.

Possible things to look at :-

the lighting is more or less uniform throughout and so you could look to create a bit more difference based on the source/strength of the lighting sources.

The room with the two lifts feels a bit restricted - could perhaps use a jump pad in place of one lift to speed up movement and flow?

Personally I'm not sure about the fairly liberal use of the black/yellow stipes - I think they tend to detract from the overall 'feel' - perhaps restrict their use to edges (of ramps, ledges, etc) as they are generally used to indicate potential hazards?
Shot1.jpg

The light source there looks a bit odd with the 'cut off' cone of light (plus being very bright) - also perhaps a bit too much 'clutter' as it were, obviously intended but it does feel rather awkward (no water sound when stepping in the water - a minor point)
Shot2.jpg
Item placement seems OK to me - nice touches with the shieldbelt etc behind opening doors - good ambient sound throughout the map.

Overall a fun, enjoyable map.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

After a quick examination.
Environment:
Lights can use bSpecialLit and settings accordingly a bit more balanced...
Coronas can be smaller or changed other way.
Light57 and other one (71) can be deleted because are into void.

Pathing:
Lifts must be turned into lifts not doors/buttons.
PathNode9 is useless that way, Pathnode0 to PathNode30 doesn't include any route in that ramp (not very navigable normally but... using velocity - it needs a forced connection) - this is visible in 469b without extra scripted tests. As overall, pathing can be reduced because this environment don't need so many specs.

Items:
Old Flak won't load tournament ammo type for UT_FlakCannon - change Flak or ammotype. For this way of mapping items, BotPack.DeathMatchPlus with DMMutator is mandatory or else this weapon won't have any intensive usage running out of ammo. UT_ShieldBelt and UT_Stealth are not friends in plain UT, forget these practices. UT_Invisibilty can have a higher charge and can substitute UT_Stealth without issues.

Charging-Note:
Without moving anything I dropped 13 kb of data from map including red Brush builder which it's no longer needed.

Edit:I see a few glitches (HOMS)
Hom1.PNG
Hom2.PNG
A green light experiment:
GrnLight.PNG
Perhaps Brush403 it's not in the right place...
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Pikko wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:27 pm"Release" DM-Skaun][-Rc1
You should link this part of the thread to the start, though for future reference unlike some other forums they let you still edit the first part of the thread.

Just makes it easier to find the map download.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Pikko
Skilled

Post by Pikko »

:arrow:
Last edited by Pikko on Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
darksonny
Adept

Post by darksonny »

Hello
Im using d3d9 and v436 I got in all map several blink effects on few textures and lag when playing, something its going wrong with the map
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

darksonny wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:58 pm Hello
Im using d3d9 and v436 I got in all map several blink effects on few textures and lag when playing, something its going wrong with the map
Try the map with OpenGL in 436 - that works fine. Also runs OK in 469b.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Wrong answer.
Brushes mixed like that are doing these effects, at least I noticed that in previous version they weren't only mixed into each-other but not having merged polys for reducing those lines from surfaces.
Mixed_UnMerged.PNG
You cannot demand a display driver like that, a map must work with what User is getting used in majority of maps.
There are TWO brushes mixed with common surfaces and the green area has visible polys because are not merged.

This is what a portal does in Editor. Vertex Editing ? Anything ?
Portal_Surface_Mixed.PNG
Meh... Actually here are TWO portals - Why is flickering ? Just because it's normal...
Two_Portals_Sharing_Area.PNG
Portal surface has TWO surfaces.
From my campaign through Editor I have not see any good mapper doing things this way. In image I reduced a brush and I have to check how goes after a rebuild but not before deleting the second portal which is there for no reason.

Lamp with giant stander - it can include a de-intersected brush, a bit loved in NotePad++ and polys merged.
Deintersect.PNG
Result has less poly lines and it looks like ONE surface. Of course they might need corrections as long as not all vertexes are normal, either way I see an ugly BSPCut crossing around...
Last edited by sektor2111 on Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.