Fast UZ compressor, drop-in replacement UCC.exe for compress/decompress unreal .uz files

External tools, software and sites for creating or editing UT99 resources.
Que
Inhuman
Personal rank: ...

Re: Fast UZ compressor, drop-in replacement UCC.exe for compress/decompress unreal .uz files

Post by Que »

here you go ;)
Buggie wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:56 am What exactly written of message crash?
I presume he means it just closes the dos window after he tries running the application.
this is because he *likely* did not go through the command prompt and execute the app through there.

Windows+R > cmd > enter
cd [path to uz.exe] - to get the path open the folder where uz.exe is stored. copy that path and then cd [CTRL+V]

uz compress *.umx

done.
Attachments
terrain.umx.uz.7z
(339.58 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
*Join our Discord Here.*
Our mods - MVX , SSB , SmartWFL , UTCmds , BotCommands , Smart Stats , join/leave announcer , NoSmoke , UTLogin , BrightSkins , Server Tran…
*Our Servers
Reino
Novice

Re: Fast UZ compressor, drop-in replacement UCC.exe for compress/decompress unreal .uz files

Post by Reino »

Haha, no. I'm fully aware of what a command-line program is and how it works.

Running just UZ.exe does return the "Usage"-text, but the moment I enter UZ.exe compress terrain.umx I get...

Code: Select all

UZ.exe - Application Error

The exception Illegal Instruction
an attempt was made to execute an illegal instruction
(0xc000001d) occurred in the application at location 0x0040568b.

Click on OK to terminate the program
Click on CANCEL to debug the program
...in a typical window.

Thanks for the compressed umx-file. It didn't solve my problem however. My server still refuses to send the file.
I guess my only options left are either to update the game to 4.51 (or 4.69?), or turn off compression and upload all the files uncompressed to my dedicated server.
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

UZ version? OS version? Your CPU?

Check on Win XP with Celeron M - UZ v5.3.
Need only install https://aka.ms/vs/16/release/vc_redist.x86.exe And all work fine. No any crash.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Reino wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:15 pmThanks for the compressed umx-file. It didn't solve my problem however. My server still refuses to send the file.
Is it probably a letter case problem? "terrain.umx" vs. "Terrain.umx"? Do you have access to the web server's log file? Look for status code 404 then.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Reino
Novice

Post by Reino »

UZ 5.3. Windows XP Pro SP3. AMD Athlon XP 3200+ (no, I'm not kidding! :twisted: ), so no SSE2 (which could very well be the cause).
But don't bother trying to fix this for my very old cpu, I'd say. I came to this thread because of this post in the hope it would be the cause of my server problem, but it wasn't.
Reino
Novice

Post by Reino »

Barbie wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:36 pmIs it probably a letter case problem? "terrain.umx" vs. "Terrain.umx"?
That's it! Wow, but that's weird. Officially the umx-file comes as terrain.umx, but changing that to Terrain.umx the server now suddenly sends me the file.

I've actually tried this already with the uz-file I created with UCC.exe, but that didn't make any difference then. Probably because the UCC.exe created uz-file was corrupt anyway.
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

Yep. No SSE2. So it crash on first SSE2 instruction.

Server is linux so case matters. for .umx and for .uz too.

--- EDIT ---
Reino wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:45 pm UZ 5.3. Windows XP Pro SP3. AMD Athlon XP 3200+ (no, I'm not kidding! :twisted: ), so no SSE2 (which could very well be the cause).
I rebuild and update release on github. SSE2 not more need. Tests not show any significant performance difference.
So now you can run it. Please check it.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Buggie wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:01 pm Tests not show any significant performance difference.
Perhaps it can be faster than with SSE2... When I'm saying this it's because I disabled SSE2 from D3D9 render months ago and it looks noticeable faster... thus demonstrating that SSE2 isn't really a "NeedForSpeed" for all CPUs.
Reino
Novice

Post by Reino »

Buggie wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:01 pmI rebuild and update release on github. SSE2 not more need.

Code: Select all

UZ.exe - Application Error

The instruction at "0x10109637" referenced memory at "0x00419000". The memory could not be "read".
Thanks though.
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

Weird. 0x10109637 even not in UZ.exe. So I can not help. Look like something other fail. Possible MS Visual Studio libs not intended for WinXP and such old CPU. :noidea
Reino
Novice

Post by Reino »

Initially I installed https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=53840 to run UZ.exe. It mentions "Supported Operating System ... Windows XP Service Pack 3".
Buggie wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:19 pmNeed only install https://aka.ms/vs/16/release/vc_redist.x86.exe And all work fine. No any crash.
I've tried to install this one, but immediately I'm getting a The exception Illegal Instruction application error again.
Eternity
Skilled

Post by Eternity »

I can't install this version in WinXP SP3... Maybe it is incompatible...
With this version installed, UZ works fine.
If it is not installed, UZ returns a error message that "vcruntime140.dll" file is missing.

sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Now I'm curious if it will be compiled an UT 469 for these CPU types - I have one almost the same...
Reino
Novice

Post by Reino »

Eternity wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:00 amImage
Interesting. It could be my memory is starting to fail, which is causing the error I'm facing. Hmm.