UnrealArchive.org

Share interesting stuff you have found or created yourself.
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Re: UnrealArchive.org

Post by Gustavo6046 »

...It's just punctuation!

But it is 100% within the range of 7-bit ASCII. It's not "tech-unfriendly", it's just lazy-programmer-unfriendly, as all things should be. Screw lazy programmers. :p
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
ividyon
Average
Personal rank: UnrealSP.org Staff

Post by ividyon »

Gustavo6046 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:38 pm But it is 100% within the range of 7-bit ASCII. It's not "tech-unfriendly", it's just lazy-programmer-unfriendly, as all things should be. Screw lazy programmers. :p
Oh my, "the way you put out that sentence is kind of condescending", isn't it? :lol:
Also known as: sana
UnrealSP.org - the premier Unreal single player site
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

ividyon wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:36 am
Gustavo6046 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:38 pm But it is 100% within the range of 7-bit ASCII. It's not "tech-unfriendly", it's just lazy-programmer-unfriendly, as all things should be. Screw lazy programmers. :p
Oh my, "the way you put out that sentence is kind of condescending", isn't it? :lol:
Is that the word of the day or something? It's been used 7 times (counting mine) so far · search.php?keywords=condescending
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
ividyon
Average
Personal rank: UnrealSP.org Staff

Post by ividyon »

EvilGrins wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:06 am
Is that the word of the day or something? It's been used 7 times (counting mine) so far · search.php?keywords=condescending
In my case, I was poking fun at him for randomly throwing that line at me for a completely innocuous sentence, and if we look at your search link, we can certainly establish a pattern... I guess he just likes accusing people? :lol2:

Either way, curious how the .:..: thing will be resolved!
Also known as: sana
UnrealSP.org - the premier Unreal single player site
Shrimp
Adept

Post by Shrimp »

It will probably definitely be fixed.

Will maybe also fix the sorting of names within a letter/group.

Also, might try to clean up the "by..." and "made by..." names.

Finally, will possibly add an alias system so people like Zencoder who can't spell their name can at least be grouped together under one entry.

COMING SOON, possibly probably.

Also, I happen to believe that a lazy programmer is often a good one ;).
ShrimpWorks
Unreal Archive - preserving over 25 years of user-created content for the Unreal series!
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Shrimp wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:00 pm
Finally, will possibly add an alias system so people like Zencoder who can't spell their name can at least be grouped together under one entry.
So will this pick up and group people like Ezkeel and Derdak2rot who sometimes (but not often) put a ( or --= in front of their names (so that they appear on the E, D and _ pages)?
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Lol, it wasn't about him, or you, or really anything like that, specifically. I was talking about programs and websites breaking just because some string didn't fall entirely into the alphanumeric range of characters. Really if anything Shrimp should've been mad at me, not you :P

But don't take it too seriously. Still, screw lazy programmers. Not Shrimp, he's not a lazy programmer. UnrealArchive must've been quite a hurdle to do, all things considered. He actually wrote an algorithm to identify the theme of each map! I really love that, it feels so awesome! I love every little detail of UnrealArchive.

-------

It's strange that the author name indexing algorithm gags so easily with such common edge-cases. It does have a category for names that don't start with an alphabet value at all, so it should be very easy to sort other names into categories (if it starts with an alphabetic character, uppercase it, and fit into a letter group; if not, put in the catchall group). For some reason that doesn't seem to help very well with the issues.

Also, why not sort by ASCII value past the first character? That already accounts for the correct alphanumeric order (ASCII roughly has numbers 0-9, then uppercase letters A-Z, then lowercase a-z, as contiguous regions of interest), and it needs no special handling for non-alphanumeric characters too, as long as they're in the ASCII range. Things would get muddy for UTF-8, as there is a much different upper bound for the value of a single character, and that could make a sorting algorithm rather non-trivial, wouldn't it now.
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
Shrimp
Adept

Post by Shrimp »

Made a couple of updates:

- fix sorting of authors within the letter pages
- strip "(made) by" prefixes some people used
- implement author aliases. these are managed in the Git repo as simple text files, with the first entry being the name of the author to use, with the others being grouped under that. See https://github.com/unreal-archive/unrea ... er/authors for examples.

If anyone wants to open PRs directly with author alias lists, or just list them here (in the above format) for me to add, that'll be helpful.

I kind of want to pull this alias and name cleanup process through to the other content listings now for confirmity, as well as link contents back to author pages for better navigation and discovery.
ShrimpWorks
Unreal Archive - preserving over 25 years of user-created content for the Unreal series!
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Shrimp wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:18 am Made a couple of updates:

- fix sorting of authors within the letter pages
- strip "(made) by" prefixes some people used
- implement author aliases. these are managed in the Git repo as simple text files, with the first entry being the name of the author to use, with the others being grouped under that. See https://github.com/unreal-archive/unrea ... er/authors for examples.
Nice to see these updates underway :gj:

I don't wish to be negative but, before you embark on the implementation of author aliases, is it not possible to do more 'automatic' cleaning-up? Can you not group all combinations of unique names under one tab - so, for example, Sjoerd 'Hourences' De Jong appears in various combinations in 9 tabs under S and one under H. So can not all occurences that include [Sjoerd+De+Jong +or- Hourences ignoring other characters/spaces] be grouped? This is just an example; another Dmitry 'Tygra' Grabanoff - so again look for and group all occurences of [Dmitry+Grabanoff +or- Tygra and ignore spaces/other characters] (obviously not using the specifid names!)? If this can be done for all authors then it may produce a few errors (which can be tidied up later) but it will reduce the sheer volume of multiple pages\tabs for the same creator/author.

Also do you not first want to establish some conventions - here I mean under which author name should all the aliases be grouped? Taking one you've already done - Alejandro Lladòs - it looks like all that author's works will be grouped under that name (and presumably the tabs/pages which have the aliases will disappear from the site?). Now, this is Thunderbolt - I would suggest that many more people will be familiar with Thunderbolt as a mapper than will know that Alejandro Lladòs is Thunderbolt - so if the Thunderbolt page/tab is no longer present, many people using the Browse Author 'tab' to find maps will think there are no Thunderbolt maps on the site. So under which of a number of aliases should an author's work be listed? Probably the most used (and well known) name? But this does need to be clearly established as a convention people should follow.

The major problem with producing author aliases for those authors who used several variants of their name is KNOWING that the author used those variants - this information can not be gleaned from the site alone or, indeed, at all. I would suspect that all maps listed under J (in its various forms), J Martin (in its various forms) and Jeff Martin are by Jeff Martin but to establish this as fact, I would need to download all the maps, read through the readmes (where provided) and visit his website. Of course, for those authors who used completely different names, the problem is compounded.

My 'final' point is a more, what I would call, philosophical one - people are listed as the author of works which are, in fact, edited versions of their original work - so, in these cases, who is the 'author', that is creator, of the new work? Authors of the original map (the base map) may not be aware their work has been edited and, indeed, may not have given permission for it to be edited nor approve of the fact their work has been edited (of course, in some cases they may). Should edits and imports be ascribed to the editor/importer rather than the creator of the base work? It is factually incorrect to say that the maker of the base is the author of the new (edited or imported) creation.

This brings me back to a previous point I made - is there a need for an introductory note to the Browse Authors section to indicate that it is, in effect and in part, a listing of author names rather than a listing of authors ?
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Suggested author alias list for Thunderbolt

Present file : alejandro-lladòs.txt

Code: Select all

1 Alejandro Lladòs
2 Alejandro Lladós
3 Alejandro Llados
4 Alejandro Lladòs alias THUNDERBOLT
5 Alejandro Llados alias THUNDERBOLT
6 ALEJANDRO LLADOS ALIAS "THUNDERBOLT"
Suggest alteration
Filename : THUNDERBOLT.txt

1 THUNDERBOLT
2 Alejandro Lladòs
3 Alejandro Lladós
4 Alejandro Llados
5 Alejandro Lladòs alias THUNDERBOLT
6 Alejandro Llados alias THUNDERBOLT
7 ALEJANDRO LLADOS ALIAS "THUNDERBOLT"
Shrimp
Adept

Post by Shrimp »

Apologies for not giving a detailed response to your prior post, and those before. It probably feels a bit like you're posting into a void and getting no reaction. I just haven't gotten into the right head space to absorb or act on all the remarks just yet. I'll certainly get through everything in time, so please don't feel like typing your walls of text are getting ignored!
ShrimpWorks
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Another one - I've taken the aliases from the author name in the Description for each map rather than from the author name in the tabs in Browse Authors as the latter sometimes truncate the actual author name (in this particular case often omitting the - Armand.Volckaert@Pandora.be). So this raises the question - is what I've done the right approach?

Suggested author alias file name = Bulldozer.txt

1 BullDozer
2 Armand Volckaert (SDA - BullDozer)
3 Armand.Volckaert@Pandora.be
4 BullDozer - Armand.Volckaert@Pandora.be
5 BullDozer (JAG Site phantom) - Original = Sai
6 SDA BullDozer
7 -={SDA}=-BullDozer
8 -={SDA}=-BullDozer - Armand.Volckaert@pandora.be
Another idea - where the mapper (in this case) has commonly used both a 'mapper name' and his (in this case) real name, would it be an idea to have two Author Names tabs - one with Bulldozer and the other with Armand Volckaert?

___________________________________________________ UPDATE __________________________
Another one - as before aliases taken from the author name in the Map description rather than the Author tab (though I must admit I didn't check all the 50 odd maps under the Derdak2rot tab).

Suggested author alias file name = Derdak2rot.txt

1 Derdak2rot
2 Cedric "Snoop" Pierron
3 Cedric "Snoop" Pierron aka Derdak2rot
4 Cedric
5 -==Derdak2rot==-
There are multiple tabs under _ with various combinations of -==Derdak2rot= - all link to the same 3 maps - hopefully they will all be combined as will the tab Cedric " Snoop " Pierron - the latter doesn't actually seem to appear as an author name on a map.

Again 2 author tabs with the mapper's name Derdak2rot and real name Cedric "Snoop" Pierron would be appropriate?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Finally, for now anyway

Suggested author alias file name = NYA-Mike.txt

1 NYA-Mike
2 Miguel Angelo Paredes
3 NYA-Mike Miguel Angelo Paredes
4 NYA-Mike aka Miguel Angelo Paredes
5 By NYA-Mike
6 By Miguel Angelo Paredes aka |ZM|Mike
7 {NYA}Mike - Miguel Angelo Paredes
8 {NYA}Mike aka Miguel Angelo Paredes
9 |ZM|Mike - Miguel Angelo Paredes
10 |ZM|Mike aka Miguel Angelo Paredes
11 1Miguel Angelo Paredes *Imported from UT by RUSH*
12Miguel Angelo Paredes *Imported from UT by RUSH*
13 |ZM|Mike - Hitman
14 [NYA]MIKE
This author could just as well come under |ZM|Mike and/or Miguel Angelo Paredes - personally I would suggest 3 author tabs for this author.

Again the author aliases have been taken from the author name in the Map Description. A lot of this mapper's maps have been modified/edited and this is evident from a number of the map names (as well as from some of the author names) - they are, though, all 'credited' to NYA-Mike as the creator of the base map.

I came across one error in author names here (and it hasn't been addressed in the above) - the maps credited to [NYA]Mike (that is, [NYA]Mike is in the author name slot in the Map page(s)) are actually by 'FBI]Baad & FooFighter (2K4 version)' according to the readme for the map I looked at.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Barbie wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:27 pm Hmm, I uploaded two files within the last two weeks and they don't show up in "Latest Content Additions". In my memory earlier updates created a bunch of additional lines in the upload window, but there were none at my recent two uploads.
May I bump this? I just uploaded file MH-CitadelV2{fix2}.7z again and this was the result:
UnrealArchive.jpg
I waited 10 minutes, but that screen stays unchanged. Browser is Firefox 78.5.0.esr 64 bit on Win10.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Additions to Derdak2rot.txt
Sorry, I missed this one
6 Cedric " Snoop" Pierron
(Space between " and Snoop)

and this one
7 Derdak2rot & Nr.2000
(A joint effort according to the readme, started by Derdak2rot who invited Nr.2000 to finish it)

and this one
8 -=Derdak2rot=--
(I'm not sure he was the maker of the CTF-Klondike versions under that name - LE17 was modified by someone else according to a blog linked from the readme)

would also add this one
Derdak2rot / Hermskii - don't know for certain but looks like MonsterHuntMayhem was a joint venture by Derdak2rot and Hermskii - I would say, though, with a fair degree of certainty that the [SP] version of the map was edited by someone else for Snipers' Paradise.

6  Cedric " Snoop " Pierron
7 Derdak2rot & Nr.2000
8 -=Derdak2rot=--
9 Derdak2rot / Hermskii
Bulldozer.txt
I try to update this later as I have noticed that there are more variations to his name (like using CIA and [JAG] clan tags) but serveral of these only appear in a single map and so they are not listed under Browse Authors.
Last edited by OjitroC on Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shrimp
Adept

Post by Shrimp »

Barbie wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:56 pm
Barbie wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:27 pm Hmm, I uploaded two files within the last two weeks and they don't show up in "Latest Content Additions". In my memory earlier updates created a bunch of additional lines in the upload window, but there were none at my recent two uploads.
May I bump this? I just uploaded file MH-CitadelV2{fix2}.7z again and this was the result: UnrealArchive.jpg I waited 10 minutes, but that screen stays unchanged. Browser is Firefox 78.5.0.esr 64 bit on Win10.

Submissions were down for a while, but should be back now :facepalm:
ShrimpWorks