DM-{VIP}]I[-Beta

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Pikko
Skilled
Personal rank: Old ClanMan

DM-{VIP}]I[-Beta

Post by Pikko »

Final Version
:D
:ironic2:
Edit: File attached
Attachments
DM-{VIP}]I[.rar
(3.95 MiB) Downloaded 20 times
Last edited by Pikko on Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:12 pm, edited 6 times in total.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: DM-{VIP}]I[-Beta

Post by papercoffee »

First I was irritated ...but then I realized this is the Norwegian flag.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Where be download link?
Y u tease with new thread and not throw dl link?!
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

UnrealGGecko wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:34 am Where be download link?
Y u tease with new thread and not throw dl link?!
Late April Fool's prank just for you?
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Pikko
Skilled

Post by Pikko »

:idea2:

It's for real, but not ready to d/l yet.
Just testing for now. :agree1:
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Hey, mate! I know you want me to test it. Sorry I almost forgot about it lol, but let me know when it's ready! :D
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
Pikko
Skilled

Post by Pikko »

Gustavo6046 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:00 pm Hey, mate! I know you want me to test it. Sorry I almost forgot about it lol, but let me know when it's ready! :D
:D
Hi, no problem. Hope to get the Map ready for testing this weekend :D
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Ah, alright. Oo, can't wait! :D
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
Pikko
Skilled

Post by Pikko »

Here is the Beta 2 version. Link in first post.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Can you explain this bit from the readme in a little more detail "Various Graphic drivers, can make nois , so internal UT99-adjustments can/would be needed.."?
Pikko
Skilled

Post by Pikko »

Hi, just that i have tested the Map on 3 diff computers with differnt versions of UT and diff Graphic drivers, and that the outcome can differentiate. Thats why i write" Map is made in UED2.0-Version 436 (Direct3D)" - That works fine on my computer. For me it looks ok in 469 also, but some tweaking on your personal computer may be needed.-(testing diff drivers). Trying to explain in English as best I can, hopefully you understand what I mean. :)

What is your experience? :?:
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Thanks for that.

So far, I've played the map in 469b with D3D9 and it looks fine, no problems with that renderer. There's this is in the log
Log: The compressed mipmaps of texture DM-{VIP}]I[-Beta2.Floor.floor_mask_01 contained invalid data. We will try to use the uncompressed mipmaps instead.
which may (or may not) account for some difference in what is seen in different UT versions with different renderers.

A nice small DM map - plenty of movement and flow around the map. Overall, nice design and use of textures - I particularly like the combination of hi-tech areas with rough hewn rock-cut areas.

Personally, I'm not convinced that the yellow/black stripe textures should be used other than to indicate hazards, but that point's been made before and, of course, it's up to you. Since it's used both in slime and non-slime 'ponds' and the liquid colour is the same, it makes it a bit difficult to decide what is a hazard and what is not (the same with the one of the teleporters, where that stiped texture is used leading one to think that that teleporter is a hazard in some way). Of course, a Player soon finds out which areas of liquid are going to cause damage.
Pikko
Skilled

Post by Pikko »

@OjitroC

Thanks for the feedback. Its useful for Mappers ->(non-pro),-like me :agree1: , to get different opinions. :D
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Tried it in 436 with EXUOpenGL and again no renderer problems.

One thing I noticed is that the recommended player count is 4 - 8 but there are only 6 PlayerStarts - so if there were 8 'players', two would get telefragged at the start (which is not good). Probably a player count of 4-6 is best?

Sektor's MapGarbage tool reports
VoidCheck: WaterZone1 looks placed into void.
VoidCheck: Dispatcher2 looks placed into void.
Looks to me like they are partly in the void - perhaps they need to be moved slightly higher?

Just one point on the design - I just wondered whether the ramp in front of the door is essential? That area is a little cluttered and there is not a lot of clear space to get to the door easily; the ramp leads to the gap where the lift comes up but there is no reason to go up the ramp to get the lift and the lift doesn't come up, so to go anywhere else once one is at the top of the ramp one has to jump over the gap to the walkway beyond; and if one takes the lift up, then one is unlikely to turn left as that leads back down, so one will almost certainly turn right (thus making the ramp redundant in a sense as a way to get to the higher level). Anyway just something to consider.
Shot0005.png
Pikko
Skilled

Post by Pikko »

Yes, I have considered that ramp several times, (i like to have options to every entry/passage),so i think it must be there .. :agree1: we will see in the finale version. :o
- Typo on the Playerstarts in LevelInfo & Readme. It shall be 4-6 Players. :oops:
- ,-and yes. i will check my MapGarbage aswell.. :o