UnrealArchive.org

Share interesting stuff you have found or created yourself.
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Re: UnrealArchive.org

Post by Gustavo6046 »

What about multiple authors? OjitroC already mentioned one case where multiple people worked on a single map.

This need not be the case for small-time works from friends, either. An example of this can be found even earlier; the 2001 Doom mapset Alien Vendetta was made by many authors, some maps even being worked by multiple people, like MAP06: Hillside Siege by Lee Szymanski and Anthony Soto.
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Gustavo6046 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:00 am What about multiple authors? OjitroC already mentioned one case where multiple people worked on a single map.

This need not be the case for small-time works from friends, either. An example of this can be found even earlier; the 2001 Doom mapset Alien Vendetta was made by many authors, some maps even being worked by multiple people, like MAP06: Hillside Siege by Lee Szymanski and Anthony Soto.
I would think that where there is more than one author of a map then that map should appear on each author's page. One doesn't need to stray from UT99 to find examples of maps worked on by a number of people (that is, more than two) - off the top of my head, there's the SP map UEDGameofTelephones and UT99.org's own collaborative map.
Gustavo6046
Godlike

Post by Gustavo6046 »

OjitroC wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:55 am [...] and UT99.org's own collaborative map.

Waait, so you're telling me there was a single-level open collaboration I was unaware of? :O

No way! I had this idea once to put on the forums and have people work on a single level, off of a blank slate of sorts, and I was feeling like that would be kind of original here, or perhaps me importing it over from Doomworld! Only to now realize that it has been done here already, after all!

Anyways, yeah, I agree that perhaps that should be the case. Each entry in the Archive should be able to refer to multiple authors, listing them (as well as being listed in their own respective pages) individually,
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Gustavo6046 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:55 pm
OjitroC wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:55 am [...] and UT99.org's own collaborative map.
Waait, so you're telling me there was a single-level open collaboration I was unaware of? :O
It's DOM-UT99Org - to be found here.

The GameofTelephone is on UA as well - several well-known, good SP mappers were involved (Simon "Sat42" Trim, Moln·r "makemeunreal" Bal·zs, Rob "Doublez-Down" Collins, Will "Mister_Prophet" Drekker, SteadZ, UBerserker, Semfry).

There's also a map made by four or five clan members which is worth playing - can't remember the name but I think it is suggestive of it being a collaborative map.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

angelmapper.txt
add
4 Rachel C

dmitry-gribanoff.txt
Add
4 Dmitry Gribanoff

Note : there seems to be a problem with authors with multiple --- or == or combinations of those. There's several Derdak2rot entries under _ and what appears on the author tab is not always the same as what appears under Author in individual map pages - moreover what appears under Author on those pages is not the same as what one sees when hovering the cursor over the name so, for example, for AS-FOT-Shasmah one sees --=Derdak2rot= as the author name but --=Derdak2rot=-- if one hovers the cursor over the name.
Gustavo6046
Godlike

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Ooo, that's really interesting!

Also, hah, "The Crew".

Weapon of Destruction
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Would like to help out with the author sorting, made a txt for Clawfist but not sure if I did it right over there (I am quite a dumdum sometimes lol)
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Another issue I have just come across with the Browse Authors 'page' and the Alias files.

The aliias Remixed TheDane is included in thedane.txt - but there is still a Remixed TheDane tab which includes 3 maps. The Author Name under Map Information for each map appears as Remixed TheDane but, when holding the cursor over that, one sees Remixed by TheDane.

So this means
Remixed by TheDane needs to be added to the alias file; and
one can't always be sure that the Author name one sees against Name in the Map Information is the form in which that author's name appears elsewhere. So it's a bit confusing.

New alias file suggestion
1 Rich 'Akuma' Eastwood
2 akuma(matrix)
3 akuma/rich
4 rich/akuma
5 Rich aka Akuma
6 Rich/Akuma (rickaaay@btinternet.com)
7 Rich 'Akuma' Eastwood (Unreal conversion by Pitbull)
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:17 am Missing files:
https://unrealarchive.org/maps/unreal-t ... ee49b.html
It's not uncommon that an archive does not contain all the files necessary to run the content (be it a map or indeed anything else) - is there something specific about that particlar archive that Shrimp can address?
TankBeef
Masterful

Post by TankBeef »

Yes, those missing files are getting harder to find, this is why if I delete a map, I try to keep the other system, textures, music...files, cause you never know. I end up downloading really crappy maps just for a file. :facepalm: Yes, only the ColorGibBDCTrans so far, it is supposed to be some sort of "colored instagib translocator"? :shock: Is the map worth the hassle btw? Never played it.
EDIT: Searched for "ctgoblin", this is the farthest i got :lol2: :
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

OjitroC wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:56 am
It's not uncommon that an archive does not contain all the files necessary to run the content (be it a map or indeed anything else) - is there something specific about that particlar archive that Shrimp can address?
More often than not I can google "Unrealarchive" plus the name of the missing file and find another map that has it, but not with those.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Neon_Knight
Adept

Post by Neon_Knight »

For what is worth, I've uploaded to my personal MEGA account all of the Unreal/UT99/UT2004 patches.

https://mega.nz/folder/zA4EBARK#-LQ9asoGdx8AyjS-YP8bhw - Unreal
https://mega.nz/folder/PIhSWCiJ#N2mBUyktnmiW0uQzCT6XVA - UT
https://mega.nz/folder/iQAzQaKS#qgygdVIyC7QyKgjlUfFlHw - UT2004
OldUnreal U1v227/UTv469 Localization Project coordinator/spanish language maintainer - Unreal Wiki
ProTip 1: anybody using the phrase "I'm a True Fan and You're Not!" is an obnoxious, self-centered, egotistical, elitist, narcissist douchebag.
ProTip 2: anybody who uses the "Royal We" when making a demand wants to pass their own opinion as everyone else's.
ProTip 3: Only the people that do nothing but criticize don't make mistakes. Do things. Make mistakes. Learn from them. And screw those who do nothing but throw poison and criticize.
ProTip 4: If the Duke Nukem Forever fiasco wasn't enough of a lesson, perfectionism leads to nothing positive. Don't be afraid of releasing a buggy product. Even the most polished product has its flaws.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:40 pm More often than not I can google "Unrealarchive" plus the name of the missing file and find another map that has it, but not with those.
I see - the ctgoblin file is a music file so not strictly necessary (any other .umx file can be renamed to that) and the ColorGibBDCTrans can be found elsewhere (I can post it if you want) so the problem is the soctex2.utx file (which contains 6 textures, one of which is the alien clan logo).
TankBeef
Masterful

Post by TankBeef »

I got a pm with the full version, don't know why it wasn't posted here, but, here it is: http://medor.no-ip.org/index.php?dir=&s ... rch_mode=f
Played it, not much special about it, a pair of shots:
Shot01823.png
This big ball will kill you if you touch it :lol2:
Shot01824.png