Nix has a new Deathmatch Map!

Share interesting stuff you have found or created yourself.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Nix has a new Deathmatch Map!

Post by EvilGrins »

His forum isn't active, but I like to check it out once in awhile... this was posted the day before yesterday.

https://svteam.forumotion.com/t31-new-dm-nbk-necropolis

It's 81.9MB!

http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
OjitroC
Godlike

Re: Nix has a new Deathmatch Map!

Post by OjitroC »

Fascinating map - interesting design concept and great atmosphere - a unique 'place'.

In essence, it is a sniper map - it's not pathed and some of the higher areas are not easy to get to, seemingly needing a custom translocator.

I did find a fatal BSP hole when first playing it but haven't come across it since - so it may not be that serious.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

OjitroC wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:15 pmI did find a fatal BSP hole when first playing
I found a few of those while cruising around in spectator, most of them are in elevation; I was trying to take an overhead screenshot.
Dennis
Average

Post by Dennis »

EvilGrins wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:06 am It's 81.9MB!
This alone makes the map a no-go for me. This is ut99, those of you that have tried the map, please tell me what is justifying such huge file size for a ut99 map?
Fraggers hangout place: http://fraggers.online/
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Dennis wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:18 amwhat is justifying such huge file size for a ut99 map?
It's beautiful.
Attachments
Shot0034.png
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Dennis wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:18 am This alone makes the map a no-go for me. This is ut99, those of you that have tried the map, please tell me what is justifying such huge file size for a ut99 map?
The map itself is about 19MB, which is not really overly large (I've got 70+ DM maps that are larger). The map uses Chaos assets and these account for much of the archive size; the rest is mostly textures - you may already have most of all that.

Whether or not the size of the download is justified is really up to the individual - the only way to decide that is to give it a try. Personally I wouldn't be put off by the size of the archive in this particular case - I think its unique character makes it worthwhile trying (nothwithstanding the caveats noted earlier).
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Dennis wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:18 am This alone makes the map a no-go for me. This is ut99, those of you that have tried the map, please tell me what is justifying such huge file size for a ut99 map?
:tu: I'm not even bother to look at it... From my experience in such a map it's hard to check all details and every single surface...
Loose Cannon
Skilled

Post by Loose Cannon »

I tried to play it, but it says it's missing package "dracula.Trim"??
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Loose Cannon wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:17 pm I tried to play it, but it says it's missing package "dracula.Trim"??
Did you use the dracula.utx from the download archive? There's more than one dracula.utx around - I already had one and so swapped the one in the archive for the one I had (not deleting it but putting it in a Store folder).
Loose Cannon
Skilled

Post by Loose Cannon »

OjitroC wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:54 pm
Loose Cannon wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:17 pm I tried to play it, but it says it's missing package "dracula.Trim"??
Did you use the dracula.utx from the download archive? There's more than one dracula.utx around - I already had one and so swapped the one in the archive for the one I had (not deleting it but putting it in a Store folder).
Thanks that did the trick! I had a different "dracula" utx file than the one needed for that map.
jmartin
Skilled

Post by jmartin »

Nice job. Classic Gothic theme, atmosphere and audio.

I like the green 'Minus Morgul' spire rising into the sky, very eerie!

Good work NIX. :tu:
Lunic
Average
Personal rank: The Best One

Post by Lunic »

Thanks for posting my map hehe. and for the good feedbacks.
But found this comment silly af.:
sektor2111 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:38 pm
:tu: I'm not even bother to look at it... From my experience in such a map it's hard to check all details and every single surface...
Who the hell asked you to look at every single corner for mapping perfection or mistakes? just move along lol
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Arcaon wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:24 amWho the hell asked you to look at every single corner for mapping perfection or mistakes?
I found a couple too, mostly just weapons placed too close to ammo so when the weapon rotates it goes through the ammo.

There's also a major BSP problem if you go too high, which crashes the map... I tend to check maps out the first time in Spectator Mode with bots. Likely not a huge issue but there's parts of the map where players can get up high so that might cause some problems.
TankBeef
Masterful

Post by TankBeef »

Wow, this one is truly awesome, why did I wait too long to download it? Nix, you rock!!! :rock: