Help with audio editing

External tools, software and sites for creating or editing UT99 resources.
Perseo
Novice

Help with audio editing

Post by Perseo »

Hello, I'm new to the community.

I would like to carry out small projects for a real that I have a mind but I need help for it.

1st I would like to make a Spanish dub for Unreal I, the problem is that I don't know how to edit the .aux files, so I can't test to replace files

2º There are two official Spanish dubs for Unreal Tournament 1999, one for PC and one for dreamcast and ps2.
My idea is to make a mod to use console dubbing on PC.
For now I have obtained the audios of the tutorial of the dreamcast version
The problem is that the other voices (narrators and character voices) I am not able to locate or unpack them.
I need help locating and unzipping the files.

a greeting
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: Help with audio editing

Post by papercoffee »

Perseo wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:07 am I don't know how to edit the .aux files
You don't edit the original files. You create new files.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Perseo wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:07 am 2º There are two official Spanish dubs for Unreal Tournament 1999, one for PC and one for dreamcast and ps2.
My idea is to make a mod to use console dubbing on PC.
For now I have obtained the audios of the tutorial of the dreamcast version
The problem is that the other voices (narrators and character voices) I am not able to locate or unpack them.
Hi - welcome to the forum!

I was going to post the PC versions of the Announcer, Female 1 and 2 Voices and Male 1and 2 Voices in Spanish but on rereading your post, I think you are looking for dreamcast versions. Are you sure that these are actually different to the PC versions?

If the Dreamcast voicepacks are different but are in .aux files and useable by UT for PC then I don't think you will need a mod to use them. If they have an .int file then you will be able to select them for bots and the Player via the respective configuration windows.
Perseo wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:07 am 1st I would like to make a Spanish dub for Unreal I, the problem is that I don't know how to edit the .aux files, so I can't test to replace files
This isn't an Unreal forum but the steps for creating .aux files are the same as they are for UT - if you explain in a bit more detail what you want to do exactly I may be able to help a bit.
Perseo
Novice

Post by Perseo »

Hi. Thank you both for answering.

1st place, I am not very modding, how can I create an .aux file to insert it in the game ?, I would like to know this

2º If there are 2 totally different dubbing for the game in Spanish. With different actors, and minor modifications to the script.

I think I have found the rest of the voices, but I cannot decompress them to see if any of them know how.
they are from Dreamcast, on ps2 directly I don't see anything

https://mega.nz/file/mmQRAa4K#6aH_dxgO8 ... CvS7eM9cgg
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Perseo wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:54 pm 1st place, I am not very modding, how can I create an .aux file to insert it in the game ?, I would like to know this
Ok - so (a) what do you want to put in the .aux file - sounds, voices, etc?; (b) if you have sound/voices you want to use, what file format are they in?; and (c) who/what will be using those 'sounds' in the game (bots, player, etc)?
Perseo wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:54 pm 2º If there are 2 totally different dubbing for the game in Spanish. With different actors, and minor modifications to the script.
I think I have found the rest of the voices, but I cannot decompress them to see if any of them know how.
they are from Dreamcast, on ps2 directly I don't see anything
I have had a look at the download but I don't recognise the file types and have no software to open them - a quick internet search didn't reveal any useful information on that, so I'm sorry I can't help with that.
Perseo
Novice

Post by Perseo »

Let's see before I start doing a dubbing I must test to see that I have full control over what is done so that it is applied in the game, I cannot do a great job without knowing if I will be able to use it at the end, for that I want to know how create .aux

On dreamcast ut I found a game file that says.

[System]

ScoreFiles = '/ access / dpetc / dp2.dps, /access/dpetc/softkey.dps, /access/dpetc/vms.dps'
MessageFile = '/ access / dpetc / message.ini'
SoundDriverFile = '/ access / dpetc / manatee.drv'
SoundMLTFile = '/ access / dpetc / DP2sound.mlt'
SoundVoiceDir = '/ access / dpetc /'
SoundVoiceName = 'voice.afs'
I have managed to unzip the voice file and there are more than 300 files in .adx but these unlike the others when converting it appear empty and another strange thing is that everything weighs 7 kb

use a program called adxutil
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Perseo wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:51 pm Let's see before I start doing a dubbing I must test to see that I have full control over what is done so that it is applied in the game, I cannot do a great job without knowing if I will be able to use it at the end, for that I want to know how create .aux
Yes, sure - the question though is how do you want to apply it in the game? Apply it to what? Knowing that is important to knowing whether you will be able to use it.

Below I have outlined the basic proces for creating a .aux file. NOTE though that for specific uses, like Announcer sounds or a voicepack, the process will be somewhat different - in addition if you are creating a .aux file for new death and injury sounds for bots/players, for example, the actual use of those sounds has some wider implications which you will need to consider because it could involve changes to default system files and this is almost always undesirable.

However the basic process in creating a .aux file is simple:
(1) Put the .wav files you want to use in a folder - the .wav files should have the right codex (I can give you more information on this if you want). Name the folder the same as the name you will give to the .aux - as short a name as possible whilst indicating what the contents are and the name should not have spaces, special characters, etc - just something simple and straightforward.
(2) Put this folder in your UT/Sounds folder.
(3) Open the UEditor - go to the Sound Browser.
(4) Click on File at the top and then on Import in the menu that comes up
(5) Search for your folder with the .wav files, open it, highlight the files you want to import, and click OK.
ImportD.jpg
(6) You will then get this dialogue box - delete Announcer and type in the name you want to give your .aux file; you can leave Group as it is or simply delete (All) and then click OK All.
ImportD2.jpg
(7) The Sound Browser should then show the name you have given to the imported files and also should show the imported .wav files in the main browser window.
ImportD3.jpg
(8) Click on the save button at the top of the browser: you should get a dialogue box with the name of the file already inserted in the file name box - you can change it now if you want - click on Save and the new .aux file will be saved in your UT/Sound folder.
ImportD4.jpg
Perseo
Novice

Post by Perseo »

hey friend thanks for the tutorial but i have two little question. What program is it and where do I download it? As soon as I know this I will start testing.

New news about Dreamcast UT99, I was wrong, the dubbing is not in the files that I put, it is in some .dat files at least, but I am not able to open it, I leave it in case anyone knows

https://mega.nz/file/z3phXKTb#bnv67oAOK ... sTBHRkvDMU
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Perseo wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:55 pm hey friend thanks for the tutorial but i have two little question. What program is it and where do I download it? As soon as I know this I will start testing.
That's the UnrealEditor (UnrealEd.exe) which is located in your UnrealTournament/System folder.
1337GameDev
Skilled
Personal rank: GameDev

Post by 1337GameDev »

Not too resurrect a post, but I have a question:

I am currently making a few mods and import sounds in UC files via import statements.

What format do wav files need to be, in terms of frequency, or format?

I think 48.8Khz and 32-bit PCM should work, but it doesn't seem to.

I am using audacity, and generally mix down to mono (as stereo isn't needed for these sounds, and it saves space).
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

1337GameDev wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:55 pmWhat format do wav files need to be, in terms of frequency, or format?
beyondunreal.com wrote:The engine wants a standard sampling rate at 8 or 16 bit per sample. For UT you should stick to 11 or 22 kHz
See Unreal Wiki > Importing Sounds.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
SteadZ
Average
Personal rank: 1337

Post by SteadZ »

There's no reason/need to go down to 22/11 kHz these days - it's very possible to import 44.1kHz sounds (but bit rate must not be above 16, and you should avoid stereo)
"The problem with dreams is... you never know when you're gonna wake up"

OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

SteadZ wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:23 pm There's no reason/need to go down to 22/11 kHz these days - it's very possible to import 44.1kHz sounds (but bit rate must not be above 16, and you should avoid stereo)
Do 44.1kHz sounds work in all UT versions and with all audio drivers? I seem to recall I've had problems with 44.1kHz sounds sometimes (when using them in voice packs or as death/hit sounds).
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

As the audio files will be only human voice, you may find that 22k files are not a compromise.
Render at lower frequencies and compare them
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

SteadZ wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:23 pm There's no reason/need to go down to 22/11 kHz these days - it's very possible to import 44.1kHz sounds (but bit rate must not be above 16, and you should avoid stereo)
There is no reason to believe that UE1 v436 is different from the same UE1 v436 running these days with the same internal natives :lol2: A sound at 22k it's a pretty good one I don't get the point for crashing games with nonsenses. This remembers me about a sudden palette problem... it's only 256.

Sounds - my strategy
The best thing is exporting a stock sound and figuring format, then applying the same format for ANY new sound for importing it. This won't cause any issue guaranteed.