CTF-UTDM-Cannons-SandF

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

CTF-UTDM-Cannons-SandF

Post by EvilGrins »

This is an edit of a map Silver Sound made to display cannons that were imported out of ut2004 for ut99.
Cannons are only on the Blue Base, and initially to even things out I put a UTDMT on the Red Team named "Red Cannon". There's been other tweaking between then and now, from me and others, while SilverSound continued to work on the cannons.

There's a slight glitch in the cannons. While they will only target players on the other team, they will also kill anyone on their own team if they happen to fall within the field of fire...
...I chatted with SilverSound a couple months ago. The glitch has been fixed but the new version isn't ready for release yet, apparently.

Bots don't like being shot by their own team's cannons, and when shot by the aforementioned cannons they tend to shoot back.

Because the teams were completely uneven, the UTDMT & UTDMS that're on the Red Team constantly gave them 2 extra players, I decided to adapt something I've been toying with found on 2 of ZenCoder's maps.
The Blue Team has 2 extra players also, in the form of a U1 playerbot and a ut99 playerbot. No, they're not on the Gold Team and they're not both listed as PLAYER on the score board. ZenCoder's adapted script, I can't code but I cut & paste with the best of them, alters playerbots for team play... no more skilled than any summoned playerbots.

Anywho...

Usual Suspects:
.u - /system
.unr - /maps
.png - Pwetty!

Enjoy!
https://www.mediafire.com/file/5bkvwcbh ... -SandF.zip
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
OjitroC
Godlike

Re: CTF-UTDM-Cannons-SandF

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:46 am The Blue Team has 2 extra players also, in the form of a U1 playerbot and a ut99 playerbot. No, they're not on the Gold Team and they're not both listed as PLAYER on the score board. ZenCoder's adapted script, I can't code but I cut & paste with the best of them, alters playerbots for team play... no more skilled than any summoned playerbots.
That makes it interesting - but it could be argued it makes the map a little unbalanced in favour of the Blue team:
Red :- Berserker/Titan - Defence
Blue :- Five Cannons - Defence; 2 x team bots - Attack and Defence

Whereas those Blue 'players' will attack and support flag carriers, the Red team has no such support.

So possibly better to swap one of the Red team defenders with one of the Blue team bots, so each team has a team bot (for attack and defence).

The map is fun though.

A few things that are a little uneven or otherwise should be noted
Spoiler
9 PlayerStart Actors for team 0.
6 PlayerStart Actors for team 1.

3 DefensePoint Actors for team 0.
4 DefensePoint Actors for team 1.

Some 'stuff' including armour is in the void (the UT log shows the Thigh pads 'falling out of the world' at the start of the game')
VoidCheck: ThighPads0 looks placed into void.
VoidCheck: CeilingCannon0 looks placed into void.
VoidCheck: CeilingCannon2 looks placed into void.
VoidCheck: InventorySpot7 looks placed into void.
It's possible that the Ceiling Cannon are only partially in the void.

There's also a couple of pathnodes without incoming connections
NoIncomingPath: PathNode89 is not having incoming connections.
NoIncomingPath: PathNode92 is not having incoming connections.
These are on the top of pillars in the Red base

Also get these errors which I haven't seen before (played with 469b

Code: Select all

Error: CTFGame CTF-UTDM-Cannons-SandF.CTFGame0 (Function Botpack.DeathMatchPlus.Killed:0638) Accessed null class context 'VoiceType'
Error: CTFGame CTF-UTDM-Cannons-SandF.CTFGame0 (Function Botpack.DeathMatchPlus.Killed:068D) Accessed null class context 'VoiceType'
Error: CTFGame CTF-UTDM-Cannons-SandF.CTFGame0 (Function Botpack.DeathMatchPlus.Killed:068D) Accessed null class context 'VoiceType'
Presumably due to the Unreal1 bot having no voice?
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Only thigh pads I saw are the ones I added to the blue base, but that's interesting... hope whatever lives in the void appreciated that.

The only ceiling cannons are inside the blue base, and they all work... but being their "base" has to be partially placed within the ceiling or it doesn't look right. Guess that little bit is what's causing that. Though the cannons on top of the base are also partially in what they're sitting on... surprised that didn't cause the same reaction.

Yeah, those bottom ones are weird.
OjitroC wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:16 amWhereas those Blue 'players' will attack and support flag carriers, the Red team has no such support.
Well, sort of. Red Team has 2 UTDM-monsters that will attack anyone on the Blue Team... so there's that. They're not supportive directly, but they are handy.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:35 pm Only thigh pads I saw are the ones I added to the blue base, but that's interesting...
Perhaps they were in the void in the original map and then you wouldn't seen them in the map - they seem to be at InventorySpot7, which is in the void.
EvilGrins wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:35 pm The only ceiling cannons are inside the blue base, and they all work... but being their "base" has to be partially placed within the ceiling or it doesn't look right. Guess that little bit is what's causing that.
It is that bit that is causing that - so not important as they work.
EvilGrins wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:35 pm Though the cannons on top of the base are also partially in what they're sitting on... surprised that didn't cause the same reaction.
They're on a solid base - the 2 ceiling cannon partialy in the void only have the void above them, the third ceiling cannon does not and so it and the floor cannons do not give rise to that error 'message'.
EvilGrins wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:35 pm Well, sort of. Red Team has 2 UTDM-monsters that will attack anyone on the Blue Team... so there's that. They're not supportive directly, but they are handy.
It's not that important as the map works OK and is fun ... but I meant that the Blue team bots will attack the Red base and support any flag carriers there. The Red team Titan and Berserker don't do that but act purely in defence of the Red base. It just makes the Red team's task a bit more difficult but then the Red Titian is pretty effective in defence - so it may balance out.

Not sure what the impact of the 9 Red playerstarts v the 6 Blue playerstarts is?
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

OjitroC wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:40 pmNot sure what the impact of the 9 Red playerstarts v the 6 Blue playerstarts is?
Haven't seen any noticeable problems this far.
OjitroC wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:40 pmthe Blue team bots will attack the Red base and support any flag carriers there. The Red team Titan and Berserker don't do that but act purely in defence of the Red base
Ever so often the Red Titan does attack the Blue Base, probably do it more often but those tunnels are a tight squeeze for him... but yeah, it can't go into the base and take the flag. Although it could pick up the Blue flag if somebody dropped it near him.
Attachments
Shot0071.png