how to make uax files if its possible

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
sXs-sketchpad
Experienced

how to make uax files if its possible

Post by sXs-sketchpad »

hi all me again lol im currently putting a tattoo studio map together i wanted to have a tattoo gun noise in there is there anything out there like that or is it possible to make my own thanks
OjitroC
Godlike

Re: how to make uax files if its possible

Post by OjitroC »

Could try this one - just click on the WAV icon to download it (it's free to use, if you do use it just credit the maker of the sound in a readme with the map). It's in .wav format and can be imported into a .uax file in the Editor. The only thing I would do is to lower the sample rate to 22050 Hz just to eliminate the possibility of any issues - the rest of the format is fine.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

I assumed that one did so under the "Sounds" tab in UnrealEd, and a quick check does seem to confirm that... though I suspect depending on what the intended file is for, just a sound or a more extensive voicepack, it's a bit more complicated.
Attachments
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzClip0003.png
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:45 pm I assumed that one did so under the "Sounds" tab in UnrealEd, and a quick check does seem to confirm that... though I suspect depending on what the intended file is for, just a sound or a more extensive voicepack, it's a bit more complicated.
Voice packs are 'made' by importing sounds (.wav files) into a new VP subclass under the Actor browser.

To create a new .aux, use the Sound browser. Click on import > navigate to the .wav file you want to import > click on it and in the next dialogue, give the package the name you want to use for the .uax > click on OK > the sound will be imported and will be shown in the browser under the new package name > click on the disc icon to save the .uax with the new package name. You can continue to import sounds into that .uax should you wish. The new .uax will be saved in your UT/Sounds folder - check that it exists after saving for the first time and save again after you import new sounds.
sXs-sketchpad
Experienced

Post by sXs-sketchpad »

OjitroC wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:55 am The only thing I would do is to lower the sample rate to 22050 Hz just to eliminate the possibility of any issues - the rest of the format is fine.
I'm not sure how to do that
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

sXs-sketchpad wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:24 am
OjitroC wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:55 am The only thing I would do is to lower the sample rate to 22050 Hz just to eliminate the possibility of any issues - the rest of the format is fine.
I'm not sure how to do that
I use VLC to convert sound files to the format I want - have a look at the program(s) you use to play sounds/music and see if there is a Convert function.
Peamole
Average
Personal rank: Dinghy-O-Death Cap'n

Post by Peamole »

The *.WAV files have to be mono audio. Stereo audio conflicts with the already stereo 3D aspect of the game. UnrealEd takes "Unsigned 8 bit PCM" or "Signed 16 bit PCM." 16 bit files take up about twice as much memory though.

The sample rate doesn't matter much if it's at 22,050 Hz or 11,025 Hz or even 8,000 Hz (the lower you go, the grainier it'll sound but the less memory it takes up). You can even record 1,000 Hz audio files but they might sound like crap. I wouldn't mess around with 32.075 kHz or anything higher than 22.0050 kHz, like OjitroC mentioned.