Some fixes on an old map of mine

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Koolflux
Experienced

Some fixes on an old map of mine

Post by Koolflux »

Around a year or two ago, I made a three-team CTF map titled CTFM-Triton. It was a map that took place aboard a space station orbiting Neptune. Looking back on it now, while I thought it was a good map, I also now realize there were issues with the map, some in particular being the skybox moving incredibly fast and doors not always opening properly.

With this version of the map, I made the following changes:
* Simpler botpathing, with less path nodes
* Changed the doors' InitialState to TriggerControl
* Slowed down the skybox so it wouldn't be such a distraction
* Moved the Redeemer to a platform in the central area between the three team bases, accessible by a jumppad
* Prefixed the map with CTF3 instead of CTFM, to avoid any confusion with four-team maps

In short, I tried my best to fix any issues with the map.

Some screenshots of the fixed map:
Shot00000.png
Shot00001.png
Shot00002.png
Shot00003.png
And I know this might disappoint some of you, but this will more than likely be the last contribution I ever make to this community. It was fun while it lasted, but it's my time to go. It's just not that fun to me anymore like it used to be, and I simply have no desire to be part of the community anymore. Plus, I just want to move on from it. You know the last time I said I was leaving for good but then ended up coming back after a while? This time, I really mean it. There will never be another contribution from me. It was fun while it lasted, but the fun has run it's course, and it's time for me to move on. I know some of you will be sad to see me go, but again, I have no desire to be in this community any longer.

That said, however, I will still keep UT in my Steam game library in case I ever want to come back to it.
Attachments
CTF3-Triton.zip
(7.74 MiB) Downloaded 22 times
"I am the Alpha and the Omega." ~Xan Kriegor
Red_Fist
Godlike

Re: Some fixes on an old map of mine

Post by Red_Fist »

""the fun has run it's course" true to a point.

" I have no desire to be in this community any longer." not true, to a point.

Stop being so absolute, black and white thinking.
Binary Space Partitioning
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

I'll take a look at it and get back to you.
Koolflux wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:27 amthis will more than likely be the last contribution I ever make to this community
Not too worried... you'll be back. Everybody leaves but they keep coming back, and maybe they only keep coming back a few times (Jack Griffin keeps saying he's leaving forever yet he always comes back) but this is only your 2nd "never coming back" so I expect you'll pop back up in a year or so.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Let's see a few things which EG pointed.
This spot is a heavy one, devs are not really cooperating with mapper.
HeavyTask.PNG
Pawn wounded will get some health. Vials are keeping interest for healing being an immediate route "available". It's "available" using quotes because for Bot it's very heavy as long as Bot doesn't always jumps when it has to - and wall makes another mess showing a bad situation for clumsy Bot. I could see this situation in X cases and it's why I did my "XC aliens" as described elsewhere. They are not aliens, they are NORMAL.
Either way I do tests in all my works using plain Bot. The clumsy pawn makes me to do things as best as possible. In this case, paths for me are better this way:
HeavyTask_1.PNG
Here I'm demonstrating that handling ScanRange for preventing bad long connections has a benefit combined with non navigation specific stuff, aiming "step-lifting" as I described elsewhere and which I've learned from smart mappers (perhaps smarter that those from EPIC, - demonstrated). Too bad that 469 still don't have it and all XC post version 21 is forcing things causing impossible to navigate routes through rat-holes such obsolete routes which I was removing from Paths/upStreamPaths, and later deleting them directly using newer functions from 227 which can be imported in a Bonus UT BUILDER as long as builder doesn't participate at game for breaking compatibility with v436. In other hand those evil invisible "prunedpaths" are doing another damage other way - it's why I'm in for deleting them all and doing only valid readable/visible connections. I don't forget to mention "PathsPreview" option from 227 allowing you to see paths before wasting ages with tests in game. You can see what will be in advance, and if you are having a clue about Bot's movement you can solve bugs before even to be created by declaring "proscribed connections" - this data indeed has no compatibility with ut, and here it needs filtered - wild bytes must be wiped out. Such a map polished in 227 can be saved later from UT436 for discarding/losing 227 bytes and it's all good...
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Noticed something on this fixed version I didn't on the original; though it might've been there too and I didn't notice.

Ammo for the pistol & minigun is sunk into the floor. It's up enough that bots realize it's there but too deep for them to pick up... which causes them to be stuck running in place over it.

Only noticed this happening in the Blue Base.
Attachments
Shot0173.png
Shot0164.png
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Koolflux wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:27 am
In short, I tried my best to fix any issues with the map.
Yes, works well - nice idea to move the redeemer to the centre of the 'common' area.
Koolflux wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:27 am And I know this might disappoint some of you, but this will more than likely be the last contribution I ever make to this community. It was fun while it lasted, but it's my time to go. It's just not that fun to me anymore like it used to be, and I simply have no desire to be part of the community anymore.
That's a pity - thanks for your contributions. What has led to your decision?
EvilGrins wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:04 am Ammo for the pistol & minigun is sunk into the floor. It's up enough that bots realize it's there but too deep for them to pick up... which causes them to be stuck running in place over it ...Only noticed this happening in the Blue Base.
Yes, it is only in the Blue Base - in the others the ammo is placed much higher. If you haven't already, the best thing to do is to move the ammo up a bit from the ground.
TankBeef
Masterful

Post by TankBeef »

Look at that, last night coincidentally I fired up CTFM again. Forgot how much fun it was. So I will definitely check this one out tonight.
But I definitely have to talk about all this "I am leaving UT for good, this time I mean it" thing. I have been there. I have taken really long breaks from it, tried other stuff, plenty other games. The thing is, this is the game I always come back to, this is definitely the game I have devoted my time the most. I have said to myself, man, there has to be something much better out there, lots of new games coming out, and I try them for a while, and I get tired, and then I go back to UT. :lol: I don't care how much longer the party is going to last, I can't leave, and I have tried, but this game is too much fun. And this was my primary go to entertainment during the pandemic, it has affected most of us in some way, but I have so much to thank this wonderful game for keeping me calm during these difficult times. And I am so glad to have finally joined this community, I should had done that way earlier.
Koolflux
Experienced

Post by Koolflux »

OjitroC wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:36 am That's a pity - thanks for your contributions. What has led to your decision?
It's just gotten less interesting to me over time. Plus, there's other things in life that I wanna focus on, so it's not really doing it for me anymore.
EvilGrins wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:04 am Ammo for the pistol & minigun is sunk into the floor. It's up enough that bots realize it's there but too deep for them to pick up... which causes them to be stuck running in place over it.
Wow, I completely missed that. I definitely should have fixed that.
EvilGrins wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:31 am Not too worried... you'll be back. Everybody leaves but they keep coming back, and maybe they only keep coming back a few times (Jack Griffin keeps saying he's leaving forever yet he always comes back) but this is only your 2nd "never coming back" so I expect you'll pop back up in a year or so.
You're probably right. I may end up making a return someday, though maybe not in the near future. Only time will tell when. TankBeef even mentioned having been where I am right now: taking a break from UT, trying out another, more recent game, getting bored with it, and then going back to UT. I can see that happening with me as well.

That said, I'm keeping UT in my Steam library, in case I ever wanna come back. Again, I may end up coming back, but only God knows when.
"I am the Alpha and the Omega." ~Xan Kriegor
TankBeef
Masterful

Post by TankBeef »

Just finished playing the map. Very well done. Had a blast!!! Thanks. :tu:

EvilGrins wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:04 am Ammo for the pistol & minigun is sunk into the floor. It's up enough that bots realize it's there but too deep for them to pick up... which causes them to be stuck running in place over it.
Oh wow, I loaded the map again to see, and you are right. All three bases. :? Well, I get so distracted with the game I don't usually notice the "finer details" until someone points them out. :lol: