The Undefeated Maps!

Discussions about UT99
sektor2111
Godlike

Re: The Undefeated Maps!

Post by sektor2111 »

papercoffee wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:39 pm Which MH map is undefeated?
Garden of Death ...at half of the way I give ....
no progressing playerstarts.
Me one... after using XCv24 I liked it somehow. It's the same speech: If you play map a few times and even checking it as admin in Editor you can figure extra-power allowing you to hunt monster enemies before they even to see you (Insta, redeemer, amplifier). What else is needed to finish it properly ? Insta don't even need ammo. My map KillThemAllAgain was definitely more harder and taking more time to finish it, almost at time-limit (I'm using this for more challenge). The same is LongCorridord+ (fixed of course). Heavy to defeat but not impossible. Also I can nominate Freeky (a fixed version as well) which in MH2 used by me is really difficult in last stage, there monsters are getting together against player making last area very ugly - no retreating spots, no power, no nothing. This remembered me by another custom Teleporter, I got another idea about writing something for old collision issues - that is another story.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

OjitroC wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:07 pmMHMapAdjuster (to limit the number of monsters that spawn to a reasonable level)
I've been doing edits to lessen the number of monsters on 1, though I'm still getting used to having to adjust the counters to match changes in the factories, because the Christmas version has the Killing Fields XMAS monsters JK made and they are a major memory hog.
OjitroC wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:07 pmespecially a good sniper rifle for taking out monster long before you reach them
Harder to do with what's in the Ghost.u as it really only can be damaged by energy weapons or redeemers.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Eternity
Skilled

Post by Eternity »

OjitroC wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:07 pmOR those maps with monsters with insane health
Yes, it is practically impossible to pass the map that has from 10000 to 30000 Scripted Pawns with Health of 2M or even more.

Some maps of this kind also have another problem - bugs that won't allow player to reach the End. This means their mappers probably didn't test these maps.
For example, one of them contains the bugged Pawn class from EXU package that calls super function of non-existing parent class within the Destroy event, this usually causes server crash.
Or, another example, with Pawns classes that iterate all actors on every Tick event - when the count of such Pawns spawned reaches a specific number, server may no longer be able to function at the tick-rates higher than 5-10 per second and finally becomes non-responding (clients get disconnected).
Or, another one, when too many Pawns spawn too many projectiles of BioGlob, BigRock or of the similar class that quickly fills the channels list till the limit of 1023, so that replication doesn't work properly anymore.
When all of these and many other problems in these maps are fixed, only then it is possible to pass these maps till the End (and even then it may take up to 12 hours or more, for some of them).

This sort of the maps are a #1 by the amount of the bugs and problems they contain, and by the difficulty of the problems and the required solutions/fixes for them.
From the other side, these maps due to all of their problems were the most big help for v469 beta-testing. Several serious issues in v436-v451 were found and fixed in v469 exactly with the help of these maps.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Eternity wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:58 am For example, one of them contains the bugged Pawn class from EXU package that calls super function of non-existing parent class within the Destroy event, this usually causes server crash.
As a matter of interest, which Pawn class is that?
Eternity wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:58 am When all of these and many other problems in these maps are fixed, only then it is possible to pass these maps till the End (and even then it may take up to 12 hours or more, for some of them).
This sort of the maps are a #1 by the amount of the bugs and problems they contain, and by the difficulty of the problems and the required solutions/fixes for them.
From the other side, these maps due to all of their problems were the most big help for v469 beta-testing. Several serious issues in v436-v451 were found and fixed in v469 exactly with the help of these maps.
I'm sure that from a problem solving point of view those maps are useful - but to a player, if they have bugs or other problems (30K monsters!!, 2M health!!), they are totally useless (unless one enjoys spending hours trying to kill 'things' that are, to all practical purposes, unkillable).

As an aside, I think Monster Hunt is rather a misnomer - in quite a few MH maps, there is no hunting involved - Monster Slaughter would be more descriptive of what is actually involved in playing that type of map where the ability to beat the map depends on nothing more than patience, extremely powerful weapons and high health regeneration (a point often made by JackGriffin).

Still, nothing succeeds like excess!
Eternity
Skilled

Post by Eternity »

OjitroC wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:19 amAs a matter of interest, which Pawn class is that?
More precisely, the bug was in the overlay effect class 'LaserSphereFacade2' used by the Pawn 'AdvancedLaserSphere'.
The script was not properly modified when it was copy-pasted to Effects subclass from another class that obviously used 'UnrealI.Moon' (Decoration) as the parent class and called super functions from that class, this way the bug has appeared.
That package contains a lot of bugs that either were copy-pasted from another packages, or appeared as a result of copy-paste without proper modification.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

If these people would be more "bright" they would do things as they should. Trash content added just for releasing an UNR file contributes at nothing for this game. If such a map "against engine" is very good looking but mapper won't allow edits/fixes for "monsters", all can be trashed in run-time and replaced changing all mechanics. The question is if it worth doing all the work... Me one I'm no longer very interested about "news" for MonsterHunt majority post 2016. If these are not normal they are out. I just look around content:
- archive has 20 packages (known or new "content");
- 50-100+ MB music;
- map has around 15-20 MB.
I don't even open such things in Editor and I'm saving space by deleting said archive. It's only quantity over quality.

Shortly "Undefeated Map" are not maps, are junk UNR files, I don't say "welcome new player" using these...