◄►469 Patch Discussions◄►

Discussions about UT99
TankBeef
Masterful

Re: ◄► Unreal Tournament v469b Patch Release ◄►

Post by TankBeef »

I do get a really nice vibe in general from this community, this is why I finally joined. But yes, I do agree that we need to make an effort on how we address each other. We don't want anyone to get bad impressions, or the wrong message.
Neon_Knight
Adept

Post by Neon_Knight »

On my part, I'm working almost everyday exclusively on this, the idea for it being to be added to both u227 and u469:

https://github.com/NeonKnightOA/unreal-localization

I'm not doing the localization for the other 12 languages (I prefer native speakers to do that), just spanish and english.
OldUnreal U1v227/UTv469 Localization Project coordinator/spanish language maintainer - Unreal Wiki
ProTip 1: anybody using the phrase "I'm a True Fan and You're Not!" is an obnoxious, self-centered, egotistical, elitist, narcissist douchebag.
ProTip 2: anybody who uses the "Royal We" when making a demand wants to pass their own opinion as everyone else's.
ProTip 3: Only the people that do nothing but criticize don't make mistakes. Do things. Make mistakes. Learn from them. And screw those who do nothing but throw poison and criticize.
ProTip 4: If the Duke Nukem Forever fiasco wasn't enough of a lesson, perfectionism leads to nothing positive. Don't be afraid of releasing a buggy product. Even the most polished product has its flaws.
kaneder
Novice

Post by kaneder »

OjitroC wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:25 am
1337GameDev wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:34 pm
Well can this be increased, and extra pathfinding added, such as A* and other optimisations for large nodes....? Just a thought, as idk the underlying engine code.
Even if it can, is it appropriate to go down the route of creating content for UT99 that can only be used with a particular version? Since it is reasonable to expect the player base to contract rather than expand over time, does one want to actively annoy and potentially alienate those people in the current player base who, for one reason or another, do not use the latest version of UT and so possibly reduce the player base even further?
Hi, normal user here (not a dev) just running into issues and googling, found this thread for the Orion's Curse Part 1 crashing issues you referenced earlier... is the best workaround atm for this issue to go back to a previous version of UT? Sorry I've tried my best to read through the rest of the thread, I figured it's a very current issue that hasn't been figured out? My choice right now is to just avoid the map for the time being, but I hope to play it again soon!
TankBeef
Masterful

Post by TankBeef »

kaneder wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:24 am
Hi, normal user here (not a dev) just running into issues and googling, found this thread for the Orion's Curse Part 1 crashing issues you referenced earlier... is the best workaround atm for this issue to go back to a previous version of UT? Sorry I've tried my best to read through the rest of the thread, I figured it's a very current issue that hasn't been figured out? My choice right now is to just avoid the map for the time being, but I hope to play it again soon!
Hi kaneder. I was the one who reported the bug. So far this only occurs if you play that map with bots (even if it is only one bot). They get stuck on some sort of loop, and that is what is causing the freeze and crash. If you want to play that map really bad (like me :lol2: ) you can either play it on 436 (no issues there), or you can play it on 469a or b but without bots. Since the report I have played many other maps, FNB's included, and no crashes so far. That particular one has that problem. Even Orion's part 2 (The CTF) works fine.
kaneder
Novice

Post by kaneder »

TankBeef wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:00 am
Hi kaneder. I was the one who reported the bug. So far this only occurs if you play that map with bots (even if it is only one bot). They get stuck on some sort of loop, and that is what is causing the freeze and crash. If you want to play that map really bad (like me :lol2: ) you can either play it on 436 (no issues there), or you can play it on 469a or b but without bots. Since the report I have played many other maps, FNB's included, and no crashes so far. That particular one has that problem. Even Orion's part 2 (The CTF) works fine.
Thanks much! I'll grab Part 2 and carry on my way for now :lol2:
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

A question - does anyone else get this : Pasting text like this

function PreSetMovement()
{
bCanJump = true;
bCanWalk = true;
bCanSwim = false;
bCanFly = true;
MinHitWall = -0.6;
bCanOpenDoors = true;
bCanDoSpecial = true;
bCanDuck = true;
}

from a plain text .uc file into UEd's Script Editor in 469b results in the pasted text all being on one line - doing the same thing in 436 results in the text being pasted correctly with line breaks.
1337GameDev
Skilled
Personal rank: GameDev

Post by 1337GameDev »

OjitroC wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:25 am
1337GameDev wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:34 pm
Well can this be increased, and extra pathfinding added, such as A* and other optimisations for large nodes....? Just a thought, as idk the underlying engine code.
Even if it can, is it appropriate to go down the route of creating content for UT99 that can only be used with a particular version? Since it is reasonable to expect the player base to contract rather than expand over time, does one want to actively annoy and potentially alienate those people in the current player base who, for one reason or another, do not use the latest version of UT and so possibly reduce the player base even further?
The current patch is compatible with current content, do the patch shouldn't be the issue.

But to eliminate that, you can look at the logs to look for "accessed nones" and other errors / warnings from when you played this map.

Until we have more info, it's hard to know the core issue.

The logs are located in "Unreal Tournament / System / UnrealTournanent.log"

There's a lot, but newer entries are at the bottom with timestamps.
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

OjitroC wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:03 pm A question - does anyone else get this : Pasting text like this
Try double click on script name on left list. It is call reparse and sometimes help.
If not help, then your source not properly formed for editor.
Try copy to notepad and paste from notepad.
Possible you try insert text with \n newlines (unix), instead of \r\n (windows), or even only \r (Mac).
Possible editor pick up another type of text from clipboard now. In cliboard text can be in many formats.

If issue 100% reproduce-able - make issue on github.
1337GameDev
Skilled
Personal rank: GameDev

Post by 1337GameDev »

OjitroC wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:03 pm A question - does anyone else get this : Pasting text like this

function PreSetMovement()
{
bCanJump = true;
bCanWalk = true;
bCanSwim = false;
bCanFly = true;
MinHitWall = -0.6;
bCanOpenDoors = true;
bCanDoSpecial = true;
bCanDuck = true;
}

from a plain text .uc file into UEd's Script Editor in 469b results in the pasted text all being on one line - doing the same thing in 436 results in the text being pasted correctly with line breaks.
Interesting. Seems to be an issue with the formatter and parsing line endings...

What if you copy text to notepad, recopy it, and THEN paste it? This should enforce windows lines ending characters.

I don't use the editor code editor, but use WOTGreal as it has nice intellisense and code formatting / highlighting and then use command line alias to run ucc and play my dev map.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Thanks for the replies - it's certainly an issue with the 469b Editor as I don't get it with 436 so something's changed with how the Script Editor reads text.

I should point out I'm using an iMac.

What I did was extract the script from the UnrealI.Warlord using UTPT which saves it as an .uc file and copied part of that script (the part in my earlier post).

If I copy the code from my earlier post and paste that in UEd's Script Editor then that is fine - proper lines breaks. If I copy it from the .uc then I get it all on one line - the .uc is plain text and I've tried various encodings all with the same result.

So I'll try the suggestions and see what happens.
kaneder
Novice

Post by kaneder »

1337GameDev wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:10 pm
The current patch is compatible with current content, do the patch shouldn't be the issue.

But to eliminate that, you can look at the logs to look for "accessed nones" and other errors / warnings from when you played this map.

Until we have more info, it's hard to know the core issue.

The logs are located in "Unreal Tournament / System / UnrealTournanent.log"

There's a lot, but newer entries are at the bottom with timestamps.
Very similar to TankBeef's errors but if it's okay to post in this thread, here's a large chunk of it all the way to the end.

Code: Select all

ScriptWarning: FNBASTeamTrigger AS-FoT-OrionsCursePart1.FNBASTeamTrigger34 (Function AS-FoT-OrionsCursePart1.FNBASTeamTrigger.IsRelevant:00D9) Accessed None 'PlayerReplicationInfo'
ScriptWarning: FNBASTeamTrigger AS-FoT-OrionsCursePart1.FNBASTeamTrigger32 (Function AS-FoT-OrionsCursePart1.FNBASTeamTrigger.IsRelevant:00D9) Accessed None 'PlayerReplicationInfo'
ScriptWarning: FNBASTeamTrigger AS-FoT-OrionsCursePart1.FNBASTeamTrigger30 (Function AS-FoT-OrionsCursePart1.FNBASTeamTrigger.IsRelevant:00D9) Accessed None 'PlayerReplicationInfo'
ScriptWarning: FNBASTeamTrigger AS-FoT-OrionsCursePart1.FNBASTeamTrigger34 (Function AS-FoT-OrionsCursePart1.FNBASTeamTrigger.IsRelevant:00D9) Accessed None 'PlayerReplicationInfo'
ScriptWarning: FNBASTeamTrigger AS-FoT-OrionsCursePart1.FNBASTeamTrigger33 (Function AS-FoT-OrionsCursePart1.FNBASTeamTrigger.IsRelevant:00D9) Accessed None 'PlayerReplicationInfo'
ScriptWarning: FNBASTeamTrigger AS-FoT-OrionsCursePart1.FNBASTeamTrigger32 (Function AS-FoT-OrionsCursePart1.FNBASTeamTrigger.IsRelevant:00D9) Accessed None 'PlayerReplicationInfo'
ScriptWarning: FNBASTeamTrigger AS-FoT-OrionsCursePart1.FNBASTeamTrigger33 (Function AS-FoT-OrionsCursePart1.FNBASTeamTrigger.IsRelevant:00D9) Accessed None 'PlayerReplicationInfo'
ScriptWarning: FNBASTeamTrigger AS-FoT-OrionsCursePart1.FNBASTeamTrigger30 (Function AS-FoT-OrionsCursePart1.FNBASTeamTrigger.IsRelevant:00D9) Accessed None 'PlayerReplicationInfo'
ScriptWarning: FNBASTeamTrigger AS-FoT-OrionsCursePart1.FNBASTeamTrigger19 (Function AS-FoT-OrionsCursePart1.FNBASTeamTrigger.IsRelevant:00D9) Accessed None 'PlayerReplicationInfo'
ScriptWarning: FNBASTeamTrigger AS-FoT-OrionsCursePart1.FNBASTeamTrigger19 (Function AS-FoT-OrionsCursePart1.FNBASTeamTrigger.IsRelevant:00D9) Accessed None 'PlayerReplicationInfo'
ScriptWarning: FNBASTeamTrigger AS-FoT-OrionsCursePart1.FNBASTeamTrigger8 (Function AS-FoT-OrionsCursePart1.FNBASTeamTrigger.IsRelevant:00D9) Accessed None 'PlayerReplicationInfo'
ScriptWarning: FNBASTeamTrigger AS-FoT-OrionsCursePart1.FNBASTeamTrigger8 (Function AS-FoT-OrionsCursePart1.FNBASTeamTrigger.IsRelevant:00D9) Accessed None 'PlayerReplicationInfo'
ScriptWarning: FNBASTeamTrigger AS-FoT-OrionsCursePart1.FNBASTeamTrigger1 (Function AS-FoT-OrionsCursePart1.FNBASTeamTrigger.IsRelevant:00D9) Accessed None 'PlayerReplicationInfo'
ScriptWarning: FNBASTeamTrigger AS-FoT-OrionsCursePart1.FNBASTeamTrigger1 (Function AS-FoT-OrionsCursePart1.FNBASTeamTrigger.IsRelevant:00D9) Accessed None 'PlayerReplicationInfo'
DevPath: 1000 navigation nodes searched from PathNode610!
Log: Breadth path list overflow from InventorySpot851
Log: Breadth path list overflow from InventorySpot851
Log: Breadth path list overflow from InventorySpot869
Log: Breadth path list overflow from InventorySpot869
Log: Breadth path list overflow from InventorySpot872
Log: Breadth path list overflow from InventorySpot877
Log: Breadth path list overflow from PlayerStart27
Log: Breadth path list overflow from PlayerStart27
Log: Breadth path list overflow from PathNode652
Log: Breadth path list overflow from PathNode215
Log: Breadth path list overflow from PathNode215
Log: Breadth path list overflow from InventorySpot920
Warning: !! AmbientSound AmbOutside.OneShot.thunder finished playing.
Log: Breadth path list overflow from PathNode652
Warning: !! AmbientSound AmbOutside.OneShot.lightn2a finished playing.
Warning: !! AmbientSound AmbOutside.OneShot.lightn1a finished playing.
Warning: !! AmbientSound AmbOutside.OneShot.lightn4a finished playing.
Warning: !! AmbientSound AmbOutside.OneShot.lightn3a finished playing.
Warning: !! AmbientSound AmbOutside.OneShot.thunder4 finished playing.
Warning: !! AmbientSound AmbOutside.OneShot.thunder4 finished playing.
Warning: !! AmbientSound AmbOutside.OneShot.thund1 finished playing.
Log: Breadth path list overflow from PlayerStart14
Log: Breadth path list overflow from PathNode445
DevPath: 1000 navigation nodes searche
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

I even found another issue with the code editor of v469b with trying inserting text from clipboard: if all text is removed, new inserted text is invisible.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Barbie wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:55 pm I even found another issue with the code editor of v469b with trying inserting text from clipboard: if all text is removed, new inserted text is invisible.
If you double click on the package/class name in the panel to the left the text should become visible? I've just tried that and it does for me.

kaneder wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:50 pm Very similar to TankBeef's errors but if it's okay to post in this thread, here's a large chunk of it all the way to the end.
Most of those errors have been reported at GitHub though not in the same issue.

The only one that hasn't is the

Code: Select all

I think this warning happens in that map in 436 as well though the ScriptWarning is not exactly the same (lacking the "PlayerReplicationInfo").
TankBeef
Masterful

Post by TankBeef »

kaneder wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:50 pm Very similar to TankBeef's errors but if it's okay to post in this thread, here's a large chunk of it all the way to the end.
Yes, that's exactly how it goes. I even e-mailed Rob a while back before opening the github report, to make sure it wasn't something in my configuration. Paraphrasing, he responded that his maps work best with 436 and OpenGL. Anyone that has either 469a or b can easily reproduce the crash, if it doesn't come up the first time, by the third try it will definitely. It is a confirmed bug.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

A little FALSE
"ScriptWarning" and "Warning" doesn't means that it's ALL FINE. If game doesn't crash it's not like it works well... discard these fake news, it's a map over engine boundary, you should see and take in serious DevPath's reactions.
Why game would print those logs if it's all fine :loool: ? It's NOT, don't lie yourselves.