CTF-Cannons-ArcticArena

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

CTF-Cannons-ArcticArena

Post by EvilGrins »

I didn't get into UT forums, didn't even know they existed, until 2011. Since then I've joined many and plundered dead forums for anything good that never seems to make it out to the rest of the UT-community.
http://fragunit.com/forum/index.php has been fairly dead for awhile, with a little activity every so often, and this map I found there. It's beautiful, but it had issues:
· Bots spawned in on the outer islands didn't really have any means to get to the play area, most often falling in the water and dying.
· Walls on either side were all marked red, even on the blue side.
· Observation booths with no observers in them.
· Other assorted pathing issues.

I placed observers in the various booths, Skaarj on one side and Nali and Mercenaries on the other. View isn't great from the players' perspectives, but it looks like they're busy up there...
...and I clothed the Nali, they always seem so unhealthy. Got the skins for their outfits from a project Leo(T.C.K) presented awhile back.

Nelsona enhanced the bot pathing and installed custom jump-pads where needed on the islands.
Combat in the center is interesting. I installed auto-cannons on the left and right sides of the play area, assigned to neither team. Players need to get to the middle area as that's where the flags are and dodge fire from both sides while also fighting memebers on the opposing team.

Should make things fun.

Usual Suspects:
.u - /system
.umx - /music
.unr - /maps
.utx - /textures

Enjoy!
https://www.mediafire.com/file/beggnjta ... cArena.zip
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: CTF-Cannons-ArcticArena

Post by papercoffee »

I would like this map so much more with a little bit more cover like a huge pillar or what ever in the middle section.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

I find the openness refreshing.

Most CTF maps have a lotta cover, either with obstacles or twisting corridors.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Interesting map - pure mayhem :tu:

Got this when telefragging the cannons - never seen this kind of log entry before (not that it makes a difference to gameplay)

Code: Select all

ScriptLog: Autoplay.FloorTurretGun0 should never call base spawncarcass
ScriptLog: Autoplay.FloorTurretGun1 should never call base spawncarcass
TankBeef
Masterful

Post by TankBeef »

Oh man, this one is so slippery evil!!! Plenty of "tragic ice skating accidents", myself included :lol2: Even the queen got invited to the show.
Attachments
Shot01470.png
Shot01468.png
Shot01466.png
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

EvilGrins wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 4:10 pm I find the openness refreshing.

Most CTF maps have a lotta cover, either with obstacles or twisting corridors.
Not a lot of cover ...just "something" so you get a chance to avoid at least a few hits.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Oh no, now you need tutorials about moving on ICE ? Player (not Bot) doesn't even need a jumper/kicker/throwing-humans stuff. UT has hyper-speed since first day.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

crouch
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

OjitroC wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 4:10 pmGot this when telefragging the cannons
I wasn't even aware you could telefrag cannons, or any kind of auto-cannons.
papercoffee wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 4:52 pmNot a lot of cover ...just "something" so you get a chance to avoid at least a few hits.
Well... the cannons are situated on an assortment of crates on either side of the map. The opposite side of the crates from the cannon are the only 2 areas the cannons can't shoot. So, there's that.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

OjitroC wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 4:10 pm Got this when telefragging the cannons - never seen this kind of log entry before (not that it makes a difference to gameplay)

ScriptLog: Autoplay.FloorTurretGun0 should never call base spawncarcass
ScriptLog: Autoplay.FloorTurretGun1 should never call base spawncarcass
The function SpawnCarcass() is defined in Pawn:

function Carcass SpawnCarcass() {
	log(self$" should never call base spawncarcass");
	return None;
}
It is only a stub intended to be overwritten in sub classes like PlayerPawn or ScriptedPawn. Class 'StationaryPawn' is also a sub class of Pawn, but that function is not overwritten in any of its sub classes like MinigunCannon or TeamCannon. I guess that the developers didn't expect that a StationaryPawn can "die" and leaves a carcass.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Barbie wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 12:27 amI guess that the developers didn't expect that a StationaryPawn can "die" and leaves a carcass.
Is that a factor in the auto-cannons that came with UT? Do they have the same setup??
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

papercoffee wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 5:18 pmcrouch
Taa daa... Or Walk then Jump around ledge - damn, I'm a bullet... Hey, rocket, you are too damn slow... get some training.

Except when you play against High skilled Loques or Tamerlanes or Xans or others similar type, this is... Easy...

The rest of Carcass stuff - that's a LOG not an error. I think that was set as reminder for those "making" pawns to not forget about these, but... as usual, coder makes a half of the thing, which later goes spread everywhere pointing nonsenses in logs. Epic has actually the tutorial about overwriting a function and the "How To" exactly here: "SpawnCarcass". It's not like people care about that and asking: "How do I fix this bad function ?" Simply redefining it in a child class according to suitable conditions.
Carcass here would be some "metal" pieces with "metal" sounds, "metal" colors, and so on, but... Who cares ? To not forget the sound when things goes broken - a car engine exploded, metal-structure crashing, whatever scary metal breaking sound, a depressurization from hydraulic system of this auto-cannon, etc. I'm not going to tell you about "Long Range Cannon has been disabled" and sound in AS-Overlord from stock UT itself. Where are these ? It will be a pleasure to telefrag such a cannon which was never intended for stock CTFGame. If I'm thinking well, I think UT has some stock pieces for such carcass parts too - meshes more exactly... enforced with stock metal textures in a complete metal word and pandemic destruction, or maybe it's just me...
Go "buy" something...
https://www.onlinemetals.com/

Either way I could see even "Shot" errors which indeed is wrong, and carcass stuff for this pawn doesn't even exist. Now excuse my "narrow view points"...