DM-Diego-GorhlaCultHQ

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Diego_HoF
Experienced
Personal rank: HoF Admin

DM-Diego-GorhlaCultHQ

Post by Diego_HoF »

Hey guys

Finally a new map created by me

Another map based in the PS1 Game Valkyrie Profile(still have one more planned for a song i want to use), in this case a Cathedral type map where i went a little bit more with details and decorations objects, still I think i did a fine job on it and hope everyone enjoys it, for the name, it is based in the same map name and i if wanted i could go even further with more rooms and all but that would had make the map way bigger and as it is, its kinda big. Added something personal to it when creating it and didn´t want to show it on pictures, that is why i only put this screenshot, play and it see personal :D

Finally, I check all i can to see for fixes or errors and well i couldn´t see more so please report if needed

EDIT: Feeling like a AAA Game Develop, making Day1 Patches for all i created...... anyway fix version done,
Changes(Thanks to OjitroC for feedback):
-Added more player start spawn
-Created a smaller version of the same song, it use the same name and all from the original one just different size, still it might not work in all audio drivers(imported while using 3d Cluster Audio Support)
-After Nelsona did his long explain in HoF post, added the JumpSpot and LiftExit to make bots get the shieldbelt with boots or impact(set it to true)
Attachments
DM-Diego-GorhlaCultHQFIX.rar
DM-Diego-GorhlaCultHQ
(7.92 MiB) Downloaded 31 times
Last edited by Diego_HoF on Tue May 04, 2021 5:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Re: DM-Diego-GorhlaCultHQ

Post by EvilGrins »

Already posted a review over on HoF, but as there's a larger crowd here... can anyone hear the music for the map? Because I can't.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:20 pm ... can anyone hear the music for the map? Because I can't.
No, nor me - the reason is

Code: Select all

Warning: glxLoadMusic(&Mem, GLX_LOADFROMMEMORY ) failed: 15
which suggests it is in the wrong format. That's using Galaxy in 436.

In 469b, using Galaxy, it plays fine in the map but won't play in the Editor. The format is .ogg (obviously in a .umx file) - I thought 436 could play ogg in umx but perhaps not?

Nice map - check out InventorySpot37 (the shield belt) as there is a path from it but not to it, so the bots won't get it. Also 3 playerstarts are oriented so that they could be close to or facing a wall or other obstruction.

UPDATE
Just to note that the Ideal Player Count is given in the LevelInfo as 8-14 but there are only 9 PlayerStarts in the map.
Diego_HoF
Experienced

Post by Diego_HoF »

OjitroC wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:26 pm
EvilGrins wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:20 pm ... can anyone hear the music for the map? Because I can't.
No, nor me - the reason is

Warning: glxLoadMusic(&Mem, GLX_LOADFROMMEMORY ) failed: 15
which suggests it is in the wrong format. That's using Galaxy in 436.

In 469b, using Galaxy, it plays fine in the map but won't play in the Editor. The format is .ogg (obviously in a .umx file) - I thought 436 could play ogg in umx but perhaps not?

Nice map - check out InventorySpot37 (the shield belt) as there is a path from it but not to it, so the bots won't get it. Also 3 playerstarts are oriented so that they could be close to or facing a wall or other obstruction.

UPDATE
Just to note that the Ideal Player Count is given in the LevelInfo as 8-14 but there are only 9 PlayerStarts in the map.
Thats why i am curious about this issue, for me it works in Editor and it works in UT99 GOTY v469b, i know the files worked in 436 but i was using OpenAL driver, now using Cluster because of GPF error when i exit the game or editor, when i create the UMX i donwload the MP4/MP3, then convert it on OGG and finally import it in Unreal Editor to save it as umx, OjitroC i understand about the shield belt, originally i added a path node to see if they attempt to reach it with jumpboots or translocator, but didn´t happen so i remove it thinking it doesn´t work, finally the player count i test with multiple amount of bots even with only 9 player starts, it works but of course free kills, unless is playing in a server where we don´t how many will play.
jmartin
Skilled

Post by jmartin »

Nice job Diego. :tu:
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Diego_HoF wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:42 am Thats why i am curious about this issue, for me it works in Editor and it works in UT99 GOTY v469b, i know the files worked in 436 but i was using OpenAL driver, now using Cluster because of GPF error when i exit the game or editor, when i create the UMX i donwload the MP4/MP3, then convert it on OGG and finally import it in Unreal Editor to save it as umx,
The issue is related to the audio driver Galaxy in 436 - I don't think that it has Ogg support so the file won't play. Galaxy in 469b does have Ogg support and so it plays in this version (and, of course, it runs with the other audio drivers available in 469b).

The map plays fine in 436 with Galaxy - it's just that the music can't be played so it's up to you really - do you want people using 436/Galaxy to hear the music? If so, you would need to convert your original MP3/MP4 file to a format supported by Galaxy. If not, provide a readme that set's out the essential and/or recommended audio driver(s).

Just a further little note on the music - the track is almost 30 minutes long and the file size c37MB - now again, it's up to you but does the track need to be that long? The umx file at c37MB comes in at 8th in terms of file size out of the c2,750 umx files that I have so it is unusually large. Again just something to consider as the music file size may (or may not) deter people from downloading/playing the map particularly as the music will only run in certain UT versions with certain audio drivers.
Diego_HoF wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:42 am OjitroC i understand about the shield belt, originally i added a path node to see if they attempt to reach it with jumpboots or translocator, but didn´t happen so i remove it thinking it doesn´t work,
I am not an expert on this but I would think it can be made to work fairly easily - just ask sektor?
Diego_HoF wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:42 am finally the player count i test with multiple amount of bots even with only 9 player starts, it works but of course free kills, unless is playing in a server where we don´t how many will play.
As a player there is not a lot more annoying than getting telefragged at the start of a game - however I think that the number of players suggested by the recommended player count should be able to spawn without telefragging so possibly that number should be 6-9? Then if more people want to play the map, fine but they have an idea that they risk telefragging at the start.
Diego_HoF
Experienced

Post by Diego_HoF »

OjitroC wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:41 am
The map plays fine in 436 with Galaxy - it's just that the music can't be played so it's up to you really - do you want people using 436/Galaxy to hear the music? If so, you would need to convert your original MP3/MP4 file to a format supported by Galaxy. If not, provide a readme that set's out the essential and/or recommended audio driver(s).

Just a further little note on the music - the track is almost 30 minutes long and the file size c37MB - now again, it's up to you but does the track need to be that long? The umx file at c37MB comes in at 8th in terms of file size out of the c2,750 umx files that I have so it is unusually large. Again just something to consider as the music file size may (or may not) deter people from downloading/playing the map particularly as the music will only run in certain UT versions with certain audio drivers.
That explains it, for the music size, it was quite some time when I download it and convert it, normally the songs when download are not big and its only audio but like i say this music track was converted long ago, maybe something happens when converting to OGG or to UMX that cause it but that i don´t know
OjitroC wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:41 am As a player there is not a lot more annoying than getting telefragged at the start of a game - however I think that the number of players suggested by the recommended player count should be able to spawn without telefragging so possibly that number should be 6-9? Then if more people want to play the map, fine but they have an idea that they risk telefragging at the start.
I get that, still for me when i was creating the map it was enough.
But only other people´s help can make me see these errors...... and create a quick fix version...

EDIT: Ok fix version done, the changes are added more player start spawn and move them to path, created a smaller version of the same song, it use the same name and all from the original one just different size and after Nelsona did what he do in HoF post i did, added the JumpSpot and LiftExit to make bots get the shieldbelt with boots or impact(set it to true)
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Diego_HoF wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:47 pm
EDIT: Ok fix version done, the changes are added more player start spawn and move them to path, created a smaller version of the same song, it use the same name and all from the original one just different size and after Nelsona did what he do in HoF post i did, added the JumpSpot and LiftExit to make bots get the shieldbelt with boots or impact(set it to true)
All good :tu: Getting used to the textures - of course, with the music, they create the 'other game' feeling which I think is what you want to achieve here. The stained glass is a nice touch.

As an aside, no problem now in playing the music in UnrealEd 469b, it was just my settings preventing it playing :facepalm: :oops:
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Hmm, still can't hear it.

Oh well, let's address something else.

Noticed this in-game the first time through and double-checked, that railing along the left, where I've indicated in blue, isn't solid. All the other ones are solid, you can't shoot through them or run though them... but that one there on the left is entirely not solid.
Attachments
Shot0102.png
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:31 pm Hmm, still can't hear it.
If you are using 436 and Galaxy, then you won't hear it as Galaxy in 436 doesn't support OGG (though it does in 469b - good reason to update :P ). Are you using Galaxy?
Diego_HoF
Experienced

Post by Diego_HoF »

EvilGrins wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:31 pm Hmm, still can't hear it.

Oh well, let's address something else.

Noticed this in-game the first time through and double-checked, that railing along the left, where I've indicated in blue, isn't solid. All the other ones are solid, you can't shoot through them or run though them... but that one there on the left is entirely not solid.
Yeah that one.... I still don´t get why it change from solid to non-solid, the railing was created using a solid cube like normal, there was another issues where i add one and a full area was like in limbo, so weird issues.. For now let´s call it a secret/feature until i figure it out...
TankBeef
Masterful

Post by TankBeef »

Nice one :tu: I took some shots, hope you don't mind. Here are my victims... :lol2:
Attachments
Shot01508.png
Shot01516.png
Shot01534.png
Shot01532.png
Shot01518.png
Shot01510.png
Shot01500.png
Shot01538.png
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

OjitroC wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:44 pmIf you are using 436 and Galaxy, then you won't hear it as Galaxy in 436 doesn't support OGG (though it does in 469b - good reason to update :P ). Are you using Galaxy?
I don't have 469, and don't want it, and I'm not sure about galaxy. I'll check.
Diego_HoF wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:38 pmYeah that one.... I still don´t get why it change from solid to non-solid, the railing was created using a solid cube like normal, there was another issues where i add one and a full area was like in limbo, so weird issues.. For now let´s call it a secret/feature until i figure it out...
Just check its properties and see how it differs from the others that are solid.
Diego_HoF
Experienced

Post by Diego_HoF »

EvilGrins wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:05 am
OjitroC wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:44 pmIf you are using 436 and Galaxy, then you won't hear it as Galaxy in 436 doesn't support OGG (though it does in 469b - good reason to update :P ). Are you using Galaxy?
I don't have 469, and don't want it, and I'm not sure about galaxy.
You can use OpenAL audio driver for 436 and it will work, i know because that was what i was using to improve quality and volume of the imported music
EvilGrins wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:05 amI'll check.
Diego_HoF wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:38 pmYeah that one.... I still don´t get why it change from solid to non-solid, the railing was created using a solid cube like normal, there was another issues where i add one and a full area was like in limbo, so weird issues.. For now let´s call it a secret/feature until i figure it out...
Just check its properties and see how it differs from the others that are solid.
There is no difference, when i create the first railing i just duplicate and adjust the brush that´s all, i still don´t get it why it happens.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Diego_HoF wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:01 pm You can use OpenAL audio driver for 436 and it will work, i know because that was what i was using to improve quality and volume of the imported music
This is partly relevant to this thread - do you get loads of log errors

Log: OpenAL: EFX set slot to source error: Invalid Operation
Log: OpenAL: EFX set slot to source error: Invalid Value
when using OpenAL?

These errors happen with all maps, not just yours though.