DM-{VIP}]I[-Beta

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
TankBeef
Masterful

Re: DM-{VIP}]I[-Beta

Post by TankBeef »

Can't wait to get home tonight to try the new map :D But first...
OjitroC wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 6:56 pm One thing I noticed is that the recommended player count is 4 - 8 but there are only 6 PlayerStarts - so if there were 8 'players', two would get telefragged at the start (which is not good). Probably a player count of 4-6 is best?
Yep, why so many maps with less playerstarts than the recommended amount? :facepalm: To this day I still take a huge breath before hitting the FIRE to start the match, cause those telefrags are scary :?
Ok, noob question :lol2: , where does one see how many playerstarts the map has? Does one have to use the editor for that?
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Keep in mind that MapGarbage is a helper not a rule, certain things mapped might be done on purpose and aren't all damaging. That builder is checker and helper not an evil boss giving orders around.
A zone in void might not be helpful but triggers and all sort of keypoints might be there without a problem considering some of these needed there.

Sample: you can made some audio effects with a decoration/actor noise maker attached on a mover which is looping around a zone through the void for a dynamic audio effect combined with other generic sound effects - I did something like that in my MH-TrainCommando map. Map starts silent and then it goes noisy - because the train "starts moving", movement it's virtual, nothing is moving in reality but has a bit of effect + random wheels noise.
TankBeef wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:40 pm Ok, noob question :lol2: , where does one see how many playerstarts the map has? Does one have to use the editor for that?
Perhaps making a mutator for logging them and/or printing their number on screen - those active ones...
Pikko
Skilled
Personal rank: Old ClanMan

Post by Pikko »

Ok, noob question :lol2: , where does one see how many playerstarts the map has? Does one have to use the editor for that?
I'm using the Editor :)
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

TankBeef wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:40 pm Yep, why so many maps with less playerstarts than the recommended amount? :facepalm: To this day I still take a huge breath before hitting the FIRE to start the match, cause those telefrags are scary :?
If you don't want to open the Editor, you can 'open' the map in UTPT and look in the import table for PlayerStarts (plus other stuff of course). I use it sometimes (for maps) when I just want to quickly check a specific actor or texture and don't need to look at the map in the Editor.

You can use sektor's LessTele4 to help prevent or reduce the chance of telefragging at the start of a map - this is an extract from the readme outlining what it does
moving Player/Bot colliding with other Player/Bot over another Navigation Point (except a Teleporter) in a desired range – exactly desired range is configurable up to 1600 UU – Unreal Units.
it's posted here (I think) so do a search of the forum for it - it's highly recommended (I always use it when playing a map with bots).
TankBeef
Masterful

Post by TankBeef »

OjitroC wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:07 pm You can use sektor's LessTele4 to help prevent or reduce the chance of telefragging at the start of a map
Thanks OjitroC, I already have it :wink: , very nice, but I rarely use it. I try to adhere to the map defaults as much as possible.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

I use it even for default maps that lessTele mutator is very nice.
Wait ...do I have version 4 ?? Have to search for it.

EDIT------------------
Yes I have this version.
f7r
Experienced

Post by f7r »

I am played this map too on 436 with EXUOpenGl under wine and all seems pretty well without any render problem and glitches. Everything worked stable.
Great looking small-scale map!
I also first a bit confused the colors of slime and non-slime liquid. But in fact it is even interesting, мakes to be attentive. Moreover, the map is quite complex in tactics. And it's nice!
:rock:
Personally, I miss the Redeemer under the most ceiling in big room, on the beams far opposite 'sniper door'.
Sector's MBots all behave adequately.
Yet another thanks to Sector and his LessTele4, I got rid of the problem of telefragging on standard maps even with the number of players less than PlayerStarts. What sometimes happened and annoyed.
TankBeef
Masterful

Post by TankBeef »

Wow, what a map!!! Better than I expected!!! Beautiful, those colors!!! :D Did lose a lot of frags due to the hazards, but oh well, it was fun anyway. :gj:
469b and OpenGL here, and worked great. Oh, and excellent choice going with Mayhem, I love that umx. :rock: Noob question again :lol2: , who is the author of Mayhem?
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

TankBeef wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:57 am :rock: Noob question again :lol2: , who is the author of Mayhem?
Not at home to double check, but made a quick post of how to find out (with this very same track btw lol) here:
https://www.oldunreal.com/phpBB3/viewto ... 5470#p5470

Hope to try this map on friday! :tu:
TankBeef
Masterful

Post by TankBeef »

UnrealGGecko wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:41 am
TankBeef wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:57 am :rock: Noob question again :lol2: , who is the author of Mayhem?
Not at home to double check, but made a quick post of how to find out (with this very same track btw lol) here:
https://www.oldunreal.com/phpBB3/viewto ... 5470#p5470

Hope to try this map on friday! :tu:
Thanks a lot UnrealGGecko :tu: , did some extra digging, the name is Mika Kalkainen aka IceLizard. Even found some pics of him, he looks like a cool guy, in one he is doing stunts on a bike. :lol2:
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Ok tried it, loved it! Interesting way to have a sniper spot, I 2nd f7r liquid confusion, both the harmful and non-harmful puddles seem to be a very similar color. Changing the harmful one to more green or the not so harmful to more blue would fix that for sure :). Oh also the cave looking rooms look a bit too square to feel like they have terrain in them. Maybe some stalagmites and other slightly adjusted brushes would help over there?
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Pikko wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:29 pm Yes, I have considered that ramp several times, (i like to have options to every entry/passage),so i think it must be there .. :agree1: we will see in the finale version. :o
- Typo on the Playerstarts in LevelInfo & Readme. It shall be 4-6 Players. :oops:
- ,-and yes. i will check my MapGarbage aswell.. :o
That is fine!

I was thinking, what would be proper alternatives? Maybe have another 90 degree turn? Then a flat bridge could span out from the turn, toward the wall, maybe even have a secret there or a ventilation shaft (good for ambushes) or something, but shhh!

Or it could be a jump pad! Even less clutter on ground floor, and you could still add this layout into the wall :D

Then again, it's hard to change layout at this stage, where the map is fully detailed and decorated. Then again, this is from my experience mapping in Doom, not Unreal. I'm not very good at Unreal mapping, and I wish I could say I wasn't just a tiny bit jealous of what you do ;-; lol

But yeh, if you want more ideas you can ask me! Or rather, all of us here! Just because today I'm birthday boy doesn't mean I am entitled to all that much attention :D
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
Pikko
Skilled
Personal rank: Old ClanMan

Post by Pikko »

RC1 added in First Post :tongue:
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Oo! I shall try it out, I promised to playtest. Can't wait :D
papercoffee wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:34 am First I was irritated ...but then I realized this is the Norwegian flag.
What, you don't like the Norwereich? :ironic:
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Gustavo6046 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:33 am Oo! I shall try it out, I promised to playtest. Can't wait :D
papercoffee wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:34 am First I was irritated ...but then I realized this is the Norwegian flag.
What, you don't like the Norwereich? :ironic:
Some of our bad and very right people use the Norwegian flag as a substitute for the swastika flag because of the colours... clothes by Thor Steinar used that flag and became the must have clothes for our far right blockheads.