Looking for some good DM Maps (<12 player maps)

Discussions about UT99
Que
Inhuman
Personal rank: ...

Looking for some good DM Maps (<12 player maps)

Post by Que »

Hi there ,
Theres over 100,000 maps at the current repositories and i am wondering , what are some good DM Maps (aside from the ones which come with UT of course)
any suggestions most welcome. even some names of good map authors be appreciated.
*Join our Discord Here.*
Our mods - MVX , SSB , SmartWFL , UTCmds , BotCommands , Smart Stats , join/leave announcer , NoSmoke , UTLogin , BrightSkins , Server Tran…
*Our Servers
esnesi
Godlike
Personal rank: Dialed in.

Re: Looking for some good DM Maps (<12 player maps)

Post by esnesi »

I think they have been mentioned before here.
But personally i really dig the FOT pack, and can recommend it on every server! :)
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
TankBeef
Masterful

Post by TankBeef »

esnesi wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:01 am I think they have been mentioned before here.
But personally i really dig the FOT pack, and can recommend it on every server! :)
This. FoT maps are my favorites. The good ol' Timewarp Crew. :D
But...it depends on what you are looking for. There are too many. Did you check mapraider.com? That's a start, you can filter by size, theme, rating, etc.
Also look up the Awesome Mapping Contest, and...if you want to push your UT to the limit, get the UTR Community Map Pack 2 (Yeah, I know Kamah is way over 12, but you have to check that one 8) ) There is also CliffyB's 0wnage maps. DavidM maps. Helen has good maps too. Good luck. :tu:
Swanky
Adept
Personal rank: Brush Commander

Post by Swanky »

Yo, glad people still recommend these mappacks. :D

Aside from FoT, check the UTR mappacks, CTC mappacks, ImperialOne, FreezePack and the ORM mappack. Many of the authors there have also done very good maps on their own.
But if you're also looking for more names, here are some of the top of my head in no particular order:
-DavidM
-Ulukai
-MClane
-MrRioes
-Revelation
-Kami
-LruceBee
-BrushBuilder
-Mambo
-Snut
-Creavion
-TAZ (Paul "TAZ" Mader)
-ThomasS
-_unreal_
-Darth Weasel (Ultimate Weasel)
-MisterProphet
-Hourences
-Evil Atje
-El Chicoverde
-milb
-FraGnBraG
-Alexanderrr
-Derdak2rot
-cooloola
-GTD-carthage
-Rakiayn
-xyz8000
-SabbathCat
-L.J. Paranoid
-Chrysaor
-Tonberry (might also be Tonnberri, or Tonnberry)
...and of of course, my humble self (check my signature for a link to my maps).

Some of these names are old. Like they were on the verge of exiting the UT mapping community when I got into it in the early 2000s. The quality of the maps itself will of course vary. If you want some specific maps to look for I can probably go through my folder but that'll take a while.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Also check out maps by Angelheart - some are more playable than others but most are certainly worth having a look at.
Que
Inhuman

Post by Que »

Wow thanks for the replies. <3

Got my work cut out for me. Recently we made some changes to MapVoteX whereby I can disable Endgame voting for Selected GameTypes and have the Server pick a random map instead. Getting sick of the same maps being voted over and over and over again so have resorted to the old-school method of server chooses next map.

Now with all these authors I can look them up at UnrealArichives and download a bunch of them. Thank you!

Already added some 32 maps which I found the names posted by TankBeef on Helens forums thanks to link by EvilGrins then ended up at UnrealArchives downloading maps from Birdieman.

Next will go through Swankys list of authors and see what gems I can find there as well as AngelHeart's :)

@Swanky what's the name of a map made by MrRioes
As I can't find him on UnrealArchives
*Join our Discord Here.*
Our mods - MVX , SSB , SmartWFL , UTCmds , BotCommands , Smart Stats , join/leave announcer , NoSmoke , UTLogin , BrightSkins , Server Tran…
*Our Servers
TankBeef
Masterful

Post by TankBeef »

Que wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:14 pm Getting sick of the same maps being voted over and over and over again
Tell me about it. Deck16][ is the groundhog day of UT. :facepalm: This is the dark side of mapvote, server has zillions of maps, and they only vote for the same 3 or 4. :wth:

BTW, you want a really awesome Deck map, get Deck_40 8) https://www.mapraider.com/maps/search/d ... 49/Deck_40
Que wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:14 pm @Swanky what's the name of a map made by MrRioes
As I can't find him on UnrealArchives
Shows up as Misterrioes https://unrealarchive.org/authors/misterrioes.html , oh wow, he made Antargos, cool!!! 8)
Swanky
Adept

Post by Swanky »

So you sorted it out already. Good, good.

I also forgot to mention strogg.

€ PS: I'm pretty sure some of my maps on unreal archive are outdated. If you download any, make sure it's via moddb since I don't officially support unreal archive myself.
€² It's also missing maps, namely DM-TMC-Narean which would def. fit your bill of medium to large sized good DM maps. I'm going to go through my list of (DM) maps and compile something later.
€³ Also missing DM-AMC-Ars_Indus
Last edited by Swanky on Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Que
Inhuman

Post by Que »

awesome , be kean to see your compilation. also will def chack out moddb for your latest stuff
*Join our Discord Here.*
*Our Servers
Swanky
Adept

Post by Swanky »

Okay... there are a few less maps than I thought there would be.
However, I did exclude all mappacks. If a map from a mappack slipped by, well, that's how it is then. Those packs are still highly recommended though, just didn't want them to clutter the list.
Note that this is a personal list of maps that I like to come back to every now and then; pretty much all authors have made many more maps than this and it's by no means a complete list of what you may deem as "good" - which everyone's opinion will differ on anyway.
It also includes maps of all sizes, so... lots of 1on1s. But I'm sure you'll filter out what you need.

Also, adding to the list of mappacks, The AMC and TMC mappacks from the UT99.org mapping challenges may have a map or two of interest (I think may contributions are the same as stand alone releases but I'd have to double check). And there was another mappack challenge, the mappack prefix is TMC and it was about a particular layout to be used. Also had some good entries there, but for the life of me I can't remember the mappack name.

€ Interestingly, I subconciously linked Ultimate Weasel and darthweasle as the same mapper. However, they are in fact two different people.
Attachments
UT-DM-Maps.xlsx
(11.02 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
Last edited by Swanky on Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TankBeef
Masterful

Post by TankBeef »

@Swanky, that list is awesome!!! I have played so many of those maps, and I agree, they are among the best. :tu:
Neon_Knight
Adept

Post by Neon_Knight »

TankBeef wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:37 am
Que wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:14 pm Getting sick of the same maps being voted over and over and over again
Tell me about it. Deck16][ is the groundhog day of UT. :facepalm: This is the dark side of mapvote, server has zillions of maps, and they only vote for the same 3 or 4. :wth:
I can relate. I got sick of Agony-Deck-Liandri when I played UT99. In UT2004 it was Rankin-Deck-Compressed-Roughinery. I was never able to enjoy ONS or AS during UT2004's heyday. It's one of the reasons I despise playing online, and apparently just because 90% of the players aren't as good and knowledgeable as the 10% dictating everything (the pro community) the 90% has no voice or vote regarding what should be played. 🙄

Unfortunately this is a widespread tendency.
OldUnreal U1v227/UTv469 Localization Project coordinator/spanish language maintainer - Unreal Wiki
ProTip 1: anybody using the phrase "I'm a True Fan and You're Not!" is an obnoxious, self-centered, egotistical, elitist, narcissist douchebag.
ProTip 2: anybody who uses the "Royal We" when making a demand wants to pass their own opinion as everyone else's.
ProTip 3: Only the people that do nothing but criticize don't make mistakes. Do things. Make mistakes. Learn from them. And screw those who do nothing but throw poison and criticize.
ProTip 4: If the Duke Nukem Forever fiasco wasn't enough of a lesson, perfectionism leads to nothing positive. Don't be afraid of releasing a buggy product. Even the most polished product has its flaws.
MEAT
Adept
Personal rank: better then you...

Post by MEAT »