.uc files: sorry if this has been asked before

Discussions about UT99
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

.uc files: sorry if this has been asked before

Post by EvilGrins »

How does one decompress .uc files?

Is it different if they're for UT or Unreal?
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
UT Sniper (SJA94)
Inhuman
Personal rank: Retard

Re: .uc files: sorry if this has been asked before

Post by UT Sniper (SJA94) »

You don't decompress .uc files, they are unreal script source files, you compile them into .u files.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

UT Sniper (SJA94) wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:31 am You don't decompress .uc files, they are unreal script source files, you compile them into .u files.
Okay then, how do I do that?
Aspide
Skilled

Post by Aspide »

First of all you need to put the .uc files in a folder, for example “MyScripts”. This folder needs to be in the UT99 folder (not the Maps, Music , etc.. folders). Then you need a application to compile them, the original UT99 comes with UCC.exe, but I personally use UMake to compile scripts. Download UMake, put the UMake.exe somewhere in your computer, drag the “MyScripts folder into UMake.exe and then select the dependencies of the file.
After all of that UMake will transform the original folder to an .u file in your System folder (MyScripts.u).

I hope this helps.
Somewhere in Nevada...
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:13 am How does one decompress .uc files?

Is it different if they're for UT or Unreal?
How many do you have? Where did they come from? It might be an idea to post part or all of a .uc file you want to compile so that we have an idea of what it is (it could be something that has already been complied as a u file elsewhere for example or it may not really need to be compiled if it is very simple and just a subclass of an existing class as you can use another method for this).

A uc file is a text file that can be opened and read by any text editor so there should not be an issue in looking at the content of the file.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Aspide wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:59 am First of all you need to put the .uc files in a folder, for example “MyScripts”.
I hope this helps.
Nope... UC files belongs to a sub-folder called "Classes" inside whatever Folder which is the NAME of a future compilation. UMake is a compiling helper, it's not mandatory. If there is nothing found as expected UC files inside Classes, you'll get this:
EmptyClasses.PNG
EmptyClasses.PNG (7.28 KiB) Viewed 970 times
Or maybe in your environment they are compiled other way...
Aspide
Skilled

Post by Aspide »

:facepalm: Sorry, you are right. I forgot to mention that the .uc files need to be in a folder called “Classes” inside the “MyScripts” folder. Also if you want to include other files in the .u file (like textures or sounds), you need to create a folder inside the “MyScripts” folder. For example .pcx files have to be in a folder called “Textures”, .wav files in “Sounds”, and if you want to include models: .3d files in “Models”. All of this files need to be imported by a .uc file.

So, in the end it will look like this:

MyScripts:

-Classes
-Models
-Sounds
-Textures

Again I apologize, I was typing that just before going to bed.... :sleep:
Somewhere in Nevada...
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

OjitroC wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:59 amHow many do you have?
OjitroC wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:59 amWhere did they come from?
They're from Klingon Honor Guard, that Unreal/UT Star Trek game.

I still wanna see if I can use weapons and monsters and aliens from that for UT.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:19 pm I still wanna see if I can use weapons and monsters and aliens from that for UT.
The short answer to that is ... no. You would need to rework the code in the .uc files as, although it is an Unreal Engine game, it uses modified versions of all the important UE components and so weapons, monsters and aliens will be subclassed from Actors/Classes that won't work in UT.

A while ago I downloaded KHG and had a look at it. Essentially the only useable things from it are sounds and textures.

Do you not have a compiled version of KHG? If so, you can test out some of the u files and see for yourself.

The nearest thing that works is the Klingon Honor Guard mod for Unreal but that won't work in UT as it uses Unreal-only resources.

Automatically merged

Just to illustrate the point, this is the error on trying to summon Klingons.HGGrunt
UT Log wrote:DevLoad: Loading: Package klingons
Log: Failed import: Class Class Core.StringProperty (file ../System/Core.u)
Warning: Failed to load "klingons": Can't find Class in file "Class Core.StringProperty"..
Warning: Failed to load "Class klingons.hggrunt": Can't find Class in file "Class Core.StringProperty"..
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

OjitroC wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:59 pmbut that won't work in UT as it uses Unreal-only resources.
Maybe not directly, but others have imported stuff from Unreal to UT before, so if not directly, maybe someone with mad coding skills could export stuff from there into something that could be used.