Last Post Standing, the sequel

Discussions about everything else
JimmyCognitti

Re: Last Post Standing, the sequel

Post by JimmyCognitti »

Just ignore this post and don't look back...
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Man, that is a dog.
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Cleanliness is a good thing.
Attachments
197133170_10113091278205331_1647414678642147265_n.jpg
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Neon_Knight
Adept

Post by Neon_Knight »

Circling Saw

At first you hear it; a strange, rhythmic grinding noise. And then you look down and realize that there's a handsaw cutting a circle in the floorboards right beneath your feet. And of course, Rule of Funny states that by the time you notice it, you have just enough time for an Oh, Crap! take before plummeting through the newly-created hole.

A staple of classic cartoons, seldom seen in live-action unless the work is itself excessively cartoony. Fridge Logic may have you questioning how the unseen miscreant was able to pinpoint their victim's location, how a handsaw was able to cut through the various layers of insulation, plumbing pipes, electrical wiring, etc., how the saw could even find a good starting point to start sawing the hole, considering it would have to go through the solid floor firstnote , and of course the fact that logically the miscreant would be at ground zero for their victim and the broken floorboards to land on.

This gag doesn't always end with the victim taking a tumble, however. Some variations include:

The victim tries to flee, only for the saw to chase them unerringly around the room, bisecting anything in its path.
The hole is cut, but the rest of the room collapses instead.
The victim turns the tables by dropping something nasty, like a bomb, down the hole instead.

If this backfires on the culprit, laws of physics be damned, it's because Gravity Is a Harsh Mistress. If a character saws or otherwise cuts through the floor to make a daring escape, it's a variation of Bullethole Door. If no saw is needed because the floor is just that weak, see Floorboard Failure.

Not likely to happen in Real Life, although you may have minor paranoia when a downstairs neighbor is renovating.
OldUnreal U1v227/UTv469 Localization Project coordinator/spanish language maintainer - Unreal Wiki
ProTip 1: anybody using the phrase "I'm a True Fan and You're Not!" is an obnoxious, self-centered, egotistical, elitist, narcissist douchebag.
ProTip 2: anybody who uses the "Royal We" when making a demand wants to pass their own opinion as everyone else's.
ProTip 3: Only the people that do nothing but criticize don't make mistakes. Do things. Make mistakes. Learn from them. And screw those who do nothing but throw poison and criticize.
ProTip 4: If the Duke Nukem Forever fiasco wasn't enough of a lesson, perfectionism leads to nothing positive. Don't be afraid of releasing a buggy product. Even the most polished product has its flaws.
Gustavo6046
Godlike

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Dog, that is a man! Woo!

Okay, enough smalltalk. Y'all know I'm top here.
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

No, we need more smalltalk - smalltalk is nice, smalltalk is good, can't get enough smalltalk! Oow!
TankBeef
Masterful

Post by TankBeef »

I'm winner!!! And...
037.png
Neon_Knight
Adept

Post by Neon_Knight »

Attractive Bent Species

When a character shapeshifts into an animal, voluntarily or otherwise, or just puts on a very convincing Animal Disguise, there is a high likelihood that an actual animal will try to hit on them.

The character may regard their newfound animal admirers as anything from a Dogged Nice Creature to an Abhorrent Admirer, depending on their perceptions of the species in question; unlike Black Comedy Rape, the animal intends no real offense with their advances — the character probably just Smells Sexy, whether they realize it or not.

While it can be (and often is) Played for Laughs, it can also be played for all the Fanservice it is worth, thanks in no small part to Rule 34: If the character starts viewing the animal as attractive in return, they might end up hitting on the animal themselves. The consequences of whether or not they can adequately restrain their amorous animal impulses can provide clues to the author's position on the Sliding Scale of Idealism vs. Cynicism: it could, for example, trap the character in animal form forever.

Contrast Shapeshifting Lover, Interspecies Romance. If an animal hits on an inanimate object, that's Animal Sweet on Object.
OldUnreal U1v227/UTv469 Localization Project coordinator/spanish language maintainer - Unreal Wiki
ProTip 1: anybody using the phrase "I'm a True Fan and You're Not!" is an obnoxious, self-centered, egotistical, elitist, narcissist douchebag.
ProTip 2: anybody who uses the "Royal We" when making a demand wants to pass their own opinion as everyone else's.
ProTip 3: Only the people that do nothing but criticize don't make mistakes. Do things. Make mistakes. Learn from them. And screw those who do nothing but throw poison and criticize.
ProTip 4: If the Duke Nukem Forever fiasco wasn't enough of a lesson, perfectionism leads to nothing positive. Don't be afraid of releasing a buggy product. Even the most polished product has its flaws.
Gustavo6046
Godlike

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Man, I wish they didn't remove the redeemer from AS-Mazon. You know, from that little cave opposite the other cave that has the chains n'stuff? Yeah, pretty sad they took it out. That was pretty rude. I wish it was still there, man. I'm kinda upset, mate. Maybe someday they will have second thoughts about it and add it again. Come on, Epic. I know you can! Just look at all those children dancing – they're secretly praying that you do add the Redeemer back! They knew, they know, and they are pretty upset too. Just like me. 50% of the world population wishes the Redeemer added back. In fact, every minute, 60 seconds pass in Africa, where men, women and children lament yet another sixty seconds, nay, each living second, that AS-Mazon is still stripped of the Redeemer.
OjitroC wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:28 pm No, we need more smalltalk - smalltalk is nice, smalltalk is good, can't get enough smalltalk! Oow!
It's a pretty weird programming language from the 70s, too!

Weapon of Destruction
JimmyCognitti

Post by JimmyCognitti »

esnesi
Godlike
Personal rank: Dialed in.

Post by esnesi »

Neon_Knight
Adept

Post by Neon_Knight »

Serious Business

Serious Business is when a story revolves around an activity where a sizable portion of the In-Universe population takes it far more seriously than they should. If the popularity of some mundane object rivals that of Elvis Presley, The Beatles, and Michael Jackson combined, or if there are mainstream schools devoted to it instead of teaching reading, writing, and arithmetic, then it's Serious Business.

It's often a Silly Reason for War, and can turn a casual conversation into a heated "Cavemen vs. Astronauts" Debate. Someone who just can't let it go may become a Single-Issue Wonk. If competition is involved, you can almost guarantee that Second Place Is for Losers. Frequently "opposed" by the Cavalier Competitor. Compare "Stop Having Fun" Guys. In musicals it's often demonstrated that Dancing Is Serious Business. For the saying that "The Internet Is Serious Business", see G.I.F.T. Related to I'm Not Here to Make Friends. Not to be confused with Mundane Made Awesome, though the two tropes overlap plenty.

Compare Duels Decide Everything, Comical Overreacting. When a relatively minor crime is treated as Serious Business, that's Felony Misdemeanor.

Contrast Not a Game, Matter of Life and Death.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

JimmyCognitti wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:18 am Image
Kinda want a gametype where cats keep attacking players from above now.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
JimmyCognitti

Post by JimmyCognitti »

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡟⠁⠄⠄⠄⠄⣠⣤⣴⣶⣶⣶⣶⣤⡀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡟⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⣸⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣆⠄⠈⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⠁⠄⠄⠄⢀⣴⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⠄⠄⢺⣿⣿⣿⣿
⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡄⠄⠄⠄⠙⠻⠿⣿⣿⣿⣿⠿⠿⠛⠛⠻⣿⡄⠄⣾⣿⣿⣿⣿
⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡇⠄⠄⠁ 👁️ ⠄⢹⣿⡗⠄ 👁️ ⢄⡀⣾⢀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡇⠘⠄⠄⠄⢀⡀⠄⣿⣿⣷⣤⣤⣾⣿⣿⣿⣧⢸⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡇⠄⣰⣿⡿⠟⠃⠄⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡛⠿⢿⣿⣷⣾⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡄⠈⠁⠄⠄⠄⠄⠻⠿⢛⣿⣿⠿⠂⠄⢹⢹⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡐⠐⠄⠄⣠⣀⣀⣚⣯⣵⣶⠆⣰⠄⠞⣾⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⡄⠄⠄⠈⠛⠿⠿⠿⣻⡏⢠⣿⣎⣾⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡿⠟⠛⠄⠄⠄⠄⠙⣛⣿⣿⣵⣿⡿⢹⡟⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
Gustavo6046
Godlike

Post by Gustavo6046 »

I'm back!

Hey there!

Bet ya missed me, eh?... nah... not really, I know ya didn't.

Either way i'm here.

Not gonna go any soon, pinky promise.

I'm still like the monolith in 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Weapon of Destruction