MH-2001][

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Buggie
Godlike

MH-2001][

Post by Buggie »

MonsterHunt conversion for map DM-2001][ for DM Unreal.

Original: https://unrealarchive.org/maps/unreal-t ... c6be9.html
MH-2001Beta2.png
scr_1624725440.png
scr_1624725509.png
scr_1624725554.png
scr_1624725591.png
scr_1624725626.png
scr_1624725661.png
scr_1624725687.png
scr_1624725797.png
Music play only on 469b or later. Because OGG.
MH-2001][v14.7z
(12.29 MiB) Downloaded 18 times
Last edited by Buggie on Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:35 am, edited 11 times in total.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Re: MH-2001][

Post by EvilGrins »

I have the original, as well as the CTF version... this looks cool.

Rarely get a chance to play MH with low gravity.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Yeah, looks interesting - will play it through properly later.

A couple of points :-
1 The mission info message seems to come up an awful lot when moving around;
2 Are there supposed to be those (what I take to be) portals on the ground floor so that one can't fire at the Skaarj until close to them? They flicker in and out a lot as well when they stand close to a portal which is a bit disconcerting.
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

1. Without mission messages players not know what to do next.
Sad but true.

2. Which portal exactly? This map is VERY portal-intensive. There 25 portals. On section with with pulse gun window protected with glasses.
In original map there just backdrops, but now there portals for better view from outside.
If you able fall to floor portal, then you throw from station to space with change vertical in pitch to 90 degrees. So this exclude anything with pop in or pop out from this hole.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Yeah, interesting conversion - certainly different to the run-of-the-mill MH maps - so nice to see. I've only played the first level in the limited time I have available at the moment.
Buggie wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:26 pm 1. Without mission messages players not know what to do next.
Sad but true.
Indeed. I meant the initial mission message comes up several times at different places when wandering around the area beyond the start of the map - on what I take to be the ground floor.
Buggie wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:26 pm 2. Which portal exactly? This map is VERY portal-intensive. There 25 portals. On section with with pulse gun window protected with glasses.
In original map there just backdrops, but now there portals for better view from outside.
If you able fall to floor portal, then you throw from station to space with change vertical in pitch to 90 degrees. So this exclude anything with pop in or pop out from this hole.
The warp zones on the same floor/level as the map start - I can see that they are intentional, it's just that it takes a bit of getting used to given the ability of the Skaarj to 'hide' in the warp zone and flicker in and out. It's also disconcerting that one can't take them out with the sniper rifle rather than engaging them at close quarters (but I suppose that's why the warp zones are there, otherwise all the Skaarj on that level would attack at once and so leave the rest of that level devoid of enemies).
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

It is Beta4. This messages added after test play with real players.
Current mission message repeat each 30 seconds.

This level use impossible geometry. So yes. There portals everywhere. And you need take this to account. With all limitation of portals.

Monsters aware about portals. But portal handling in UT by AI very primitive so not expect good results.

You can use this as advantage for hunt down monsters.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

OjitroC wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:18 pmAre there supposed to be those (what I take to be) portals on the ground floor so that one can't fire at the Skaarj until close to them? They flicker in and out a lot as well when they stand close to a portal which is a bit disconcerting
Haven't played this yet, but is it a portal or is this occurring near the curves of the station?

The DM & CTF versions are basically a vertical donut with warp zones so that each place the map curves up you remain flat to the surface, the gravity on one side is opposite of the other.

At the edges of each warp zone, if you're standing right on it it looks like you're not all there.

Is that what you mean?

I played the old DM version with MonsterSpawn and MonsterMadness, monsters get confused on those warp zones... like they can't see you even if there's nothing between you but you're on opposite sides of it.
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

In original map paths broken and can not be used by Monsters or bots.
So portals is a problem on it.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:22 am Is that what you mean?

I played the old DM version with MonsterSpawn and MonsterMadness, monsters get confused on those warp zones... like they can't see you even if there's nothing between you but you're on opposite sides of it.
Yes.

It's that the Skaarj don't see you through the warp zone that is initially disconcerting coupled with the fact that you can't shoot them through the WZ. I've only played the map for a bit and will adjust to this over time and adopt different tactics to the obvious but futile approach of taking them out with the sniper rifle well before one gets into their firing range. So yeah, it presents a different challenge to the norm and this makes it interesting.
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

Beta5:
- Fixed way to trigger lift before time and screwed up chain of events.

viewtopic.php?p=130258#p130258
Last edited by Buggie on Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Buggie wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:34 pmMusic play only on 469b or later. Because OGG.
Stupid ogg.

Well, the original map didn't have music... so no loss there.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

You can force bots through a portal with liftcenter and liftexits.
I'm fixing one of my maps which had these problems as well.
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

Yep. this is good idea. Because usually all walk only on one point. It is predictable and can be spot for killing.

Automatically merged

EvilGrins wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:45 am
Buggie wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:34 pmMusic play only on 469b or later. Because OGG.
Stupid ogg.

This music from movie.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

papercoffee wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:48 am You can force bots through a portal with liftcenter and liftexits.
I'm fixing one of my maps which had these problems as well.
Or connecting manually paths through warps without any Sci-Fi action but using Editor Adds and UScript or not UScript.
- U227 allows forced paths
- XCGE allows forced Paths
If you want to see Pawn using Your Paths, WarpZoneMarkers should have increased Cost/ExtraCost because they have 100 length and combo has 500 and here we talk about Entry and Exit = 500 + 500 = 1000 which is way longer than 100, or don't do warps yet, make paths, then setup warps Post-Pathing for preventing Warps from being mapped, I'm not sure if Editor won't mess warps this way but it worth checking. If not, manual control always does exactly what is needed out of Editor's bitching. Either way Moving WarpZoneMarker post-pathing can be helpful, etc.

Slow minded monsters won't navigate through R_Special warps... unless you are sektor2111. If you need sliths and pupaes hunting/roaming through warps you need to edit ReachSpecs accordingly... points + for UGold227 h,i and PathsLinker.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Buggie wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:52 am Yep. this is good idea. Because usually all walk only on one point. It is predictable and can be spot for killing.

Automatically merged

EvilGrins wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:45 am
Stupid ogg.

This music from movie.
Doesn't matter, I won't be able to hear it. I didn't get 469.